Author Topic: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge  (Read 801722 times)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge
« Reply #120 on: May 31, 2012, 12:58:03 pm »
Joon, yes of course use up any food in the freezer, fridge & pantry.

Menu sounds good, I posted mine near the fribt f the thread, will have to start planning for next week soon.

Gert, so much did you spend in total.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 31, 2012, 10:59:01 pm »
H an amazing $36 . I think that might be it for the weeks as I am making bread today. I am amazed. No specials . No two fers not a one. ONLY things I needed.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 31, 2012, 11:10:57 pm »
Wow $36, Gert that is great. Yes I am a specials queen, find it hard to walk past, then just sits in the pantry.

Please could everyone put up their final expenditure for the week along with their budget as Joon is going to start a spreadsheet at the weekend for us. My week is monday to Sunday.

Also love to see the menu plans.
Thanks

Hally :)

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 31, 2012, 11:23:51 pm »
Yeah I am impressed with myself but have no idea what a menu plan is ;D I can tell you what we ate but  have no  idea. Luckily that is not important as DH only wants to eat sausages  so he plans to eat them EVERY day.  Sadly for him there are none in the house so my plan is to open the freezer and take what is on top and work down or maybe the other way around.  Oh wait I do,have some German Sausages in the fridge so today he is a lucky boy. German sausages  mit sour kraut , carrots and something else. Every day brekkie is about the same Thai rice  congee for me and toast  with whatever he can find. Then late lunch and he has maybe Vegemite on bread as a supper. I have a glass or two of wine.  ;D
Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #124 on: June 01, 2012, 12:00:51 am »
Gert,  love the idea of opening the freezer and working down. ;D
Joon,  love your menu plan.  Pretty good for a budget challenge.
H,  I usually just walk around the Supermarket and throw into the trolley, anything that takes my fancy,  and specials of course, plus what is on my list.
I buy meat that has been reduced for quick sale,  and worry about where it will fit in the freezer,  when I get home.
Tomatoes were $10 a K.  No toms this week.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 01, 2012, 12:30:33 am »
Gert,  love the idea of opening the freezer and working down. ;D
Joon,  love your menu plan.  Pretty good for a budget challenge.
H,  I usually just walk around the Supermarket and throw into the trolley, anything that takes my fancy,  and specials of course, plus what is on my list.
I buy meat that has been reduced for quick sale,  and worry about where it will fit in the freezer,  when I get home.
Tomatoes were $10 a K.  No toms this week

I found a 1 kilo bag of small tomatoes for only $4. Not wonderful but will do.  I buy meat the same chookie. What is a list?  :-))Should I have one :D

Gert

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #126 on: June 01, 2012, 01:28:23 am »
Gert, my list is what I am running out of,  and need to buy next time I am at the shops.   Ha.  Not what I buy.!!!!

Meal plans,  love them,  but have trouble sticking to them.  Disrupted by Visitors dropping in,  Invited out for a meal or eating out unexpectedly. 

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 01, 2012, 01:43:52 am »
Hally, I shop Sundays, so I will post then. :) my amount spent.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 01, 2012, 01:48:02 am »
Well I have an unexpected visitor for lunch today. Checked food on hand and had everything but not quite enough sweet potato to make Teninas chorizio sweet potato soup.

Did my shopping, cannt believe I did this, picked up about 6 sweet potatoes until I found one within 10g of what I needed, woud never have done that before.

Managed to get some tasmanian brie too ;D

Total spent drumroll......$98.80, happy happy happy.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 01, 2012, 02:30:47 am »
Well I have an unexpected visitor for lunch today. Checked food on hand and had everything but not quite enough sweet potato to make Teninas chorizio sweet potato soup.

Did my shopping, cannt believe I did this, picked up about 6 sweet potatoes until I found one within 10g of what I needed, woud never have done that before.

Managed to get some tasmanian brie too ;D

Total spent drumroll......$98.80, happy happy happy.

Well done Hallyyyyy!!!!!!! :D :D :D Happy Hally ;D
Lol funny about the sweet potato thing!!

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #130 on: June 01, 2012, 02:51:30 am »
Well done Halex , you done extremely well :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 01, 2012, 03:01:03 am »
 :D :D :D Hally I do exactly the same, back and forth to the scales until I get one close to the size the recipe states. People must think we are crazy LOL.

I'll be shopping on Sunday and officially starting the challenge then.  Have stretched the 2 litre container of LL milk to last until then by mixing up a batch of powdered milk and mixing the 2 together  ;)  

Just baked bread for the first time in ages seeing as the freezer only has 1 french stick left in it which is no good for toast in the morning, well you could at a pinch but I prefer a slice of bread to toast.

I've also made a casserole for lunch using more leftover corned beef, if it is any good I'll post the recipe later but so far that's 3 meals from a $7 piece of beef and still enough for a few sandwiches as well.  It's so easy to be Mrs McScrooge  ;D

Keep up the good work girls, we can send those supermarkets broke in a month the way we are going 8)

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #132 on: June 01, 2012, 03:10:57 am »
Know what you girls are talking about.  bought 2 onions instead of a 2 K bag.  Not sure if this is really economical,  but kept the total price down.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 01, 2012, 04:01:16 am »
I have been on a food budget since, the recession we had to have, thank you mr keating for putting me through one of the hardest times in my life ,it made me the person i am today . i hope you ladies with young families will never have to go through it

i dont need to budget anymore but once u start it becomes a habit and  very addictive

i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 01, 2012, 04:06:40 am »
Uni, when things are tough and tight, as they are, that's when you budget. ( The recession we had to have...) >:(

That is why we buy great quality food bulk, and freeze.
Also, as I buy my fish direct from the boats, its cheaper.

Buy a whole cow 220 kilos at once, and freeze.
Hopefully my vege garden will save us $$$ too.

I can't afford meat at $20-$25 a kilo.

Robyn

My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url