Author Topic: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge  (Read 801813 times)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Re: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2012, 01:46:55 am »
LOVE this idea!!  There's 8 in my family- me and DH, 18,17,16, 15, 12 and 10 year olds..this will be a stretch!!

:o :o :o

Wow!!! Good luck Joon :D

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2012, 01:49:11 am »
 thats 27.50 each per week, i am thinking  you can do it Joon   ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2012, 02:06:03 am »
Does chocolate count in food....... ;D
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2012, 02:34:00 am »
Does chocolate count in food....... ;D

cheeky girl ,of course it counts  :-))
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2012, 02:42:52 am »
Thanks Chelsea. If you divide $100 by 3 it will give you a cost per head, which I think you will find is within your budget :) you have 4 to feed. I have 3 mosdt of the time,wih foster kids it makes 4 from time to time. This week 4 days out of 7 i feed 4 :) its great to be abe to reduce our food bills :)

Cool Hally. I am already in then!!! ;D I like to set myself little 'challenges' to keep cooking on a budget interesting. Last week I bought 2 large butternut pumpkins for $1.50ea and challenged myself to use them up.  Over the week we had pumpkin bread (x 3 loaves), curried pumpkin and lentil soup and roasted pumpkin, bacon and fetta pizzas.  Yum!  This week I bought a huge chinese cabbage for $3 and I have used it in chow mein, Quirky satay chicken and cashews and the last of it will go in winter soup (MWOC) tomorrow night. I think local pears are still 99c kg at my local fruit and veg store so they may be the next challenge - chicken and pear risotto, pear and butterscotch pudding, poached pears. Mmmmmm!

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2012, 03:11:39 am »
I like to set myself little 'challenges' to keep cooking on a budget interesting. Last week I bought 2 large butternut pumpkins for $1.50ea and challenged myself to use them up.  Over the week we had pumpkin bread (x 3 loaves), curried pumpkin and lentil soup and roasted pumpkin, bacon and fetta pizzas.  Yum!  This week I bought a huge chinese cabbage for $3 and I have used it in chow mein, Quirky satay chicken and cashews and the last of it will go in winter soup (MWOC) tomorrow night. I think local pears are still 99c kg at my local fruit and veg store so they may be the next challenge - chicken and pear risotto, pear and butterscotch pudding, poached pears. Mmmmmm!

That sounds like a great way to keep things interesting Chelsea! I might have to give it a try. I'm going to our local fruit and veg shop this afternoon so I will see what they have on the clearance shelf :D :D

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2012, 03:25:34 am »
I've just got a bonus!  ;D DH went and helped some friends pick up their paddock of pumpkins (at their farm) on Saturday - the wife has just dropped off 4 pumpkins (and said there is 20+ more up for grabs) 10kg potatoes, a big bag of apples and some fresh beans........ yum!!! So I won't have to buy any of those things next week...... oh and my lemon tree is groaning so I'll be doing lemon cooking too!!!!! Hope that is not cheating!!  ;)
:D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2012, 04:52:46 am »
Astarra, I am still squeezing lemons to freeze.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

[/url

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2012, 05:24:17 am »
Yes sadly chocolate counts >:(

Great to hear you set challenges Chelsea, tt makes things more fun.

Astarra, no thats not cheating, whatever you get given is a bonus :)

Dinner tonight roast pork from tuesday with veg.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2012, 05:30:53 am »
Juicing the last 7 boxes of bush lemons from my tree tonight.
My freezer will have lemon juice galore. ;D

[/url

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2012, 07:52:00 am »
Love this chalange. ;D  Did the first of 2 shops for the week,  $33.  usually $100.  I know that on Saturday I have to buy a bag of flour and this will cost $20.  Will try and get out of the Grocers with just this.

Offline RosieB

• DGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2012, 08:02:58 am »
DH is right behind me on this challenge.  He has been nagging for a while to clear out the freezer and pantry.
I have done this weeks shopping and managed to get out with just $64.86  so a little bit left to go the the market with on Saturday.  $24.00 was steak, but enough for about 5 meals.  And I didn't give in to any temptations.
DGS eats mainly one brand/flavour of a prepared meal and that is expensive  :-)) so trying to get him onto regular food as well.
So far he has accepted bread that is not square and white, and last night he had pumpkin soup with us.
We have pumpkins and sweet potatoes in the garden to bulk out casseroles and curries. 
Looking good so far
Rosalie, from the Sunshine Coast, Qld.
Retired, full time carer for my 8YO Grandson with Asperger's Syndrome. 
I love gardening and cooking.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2012, 09:12:14 am »
So glad everyone is loving this ;D

Plus we are all eating really nice meals, so that makes it even better :)

I have $18.03 left, i need jelly, cream & sour cream. I would love some nice cheese, thats my downfall, i will see what they have at coles tomorow on special.

Chookies its amazing how much we can just throw in our trolleys without really thinking about it.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 31, 2012, 09:25:22 am »
I didn't think it was much of a challenge for me but I  was sooooooooooooo surprised when I went food shopping today. I have saved all my receipts so will be adding up on Sat. I kept putting stuff back. Good girl I was and now I realise how much stuff I buy I really do not need.

Really really surprised. thanks H.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Joon

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 31, 2012, 12:40:30 pm »
I did my dry goods (including bag of flour), dairy and some fruit/veg shop tonight- $110 including a big bag of cat food, so will say $100...will be interesting to see if I can get meat for under $100- I think its a go.  Is it okay to use up stuff in freezer first?  Halex- Do you have to include that cost in budget? (fingers crossed you say no to included in budget!!!)
Is everyone going to post menus?  Would love to see the food choices!
Ready to start tomorrow!! It will be a REAL challenge to stick to a menu because I get kinda random at times...but- it would be good to have things planned and hopefully cook ahead!
I'm so excited I'm going to post my menu- havent picked days for things, because I know what I am like- but will only have correct food for what is planned!!!
Breakfast- we have chooks so EGGS!!! Cereal, CADA, toast. School lunches are; focaccia, mini quiches, pizza, sangas...snacks; cakes, muffins etc desserts- choc custard, sorbet.  Adults lunch- soup/bread (or same as kids)
Tuna Mornay with vegies on rice
Cheesy Pasta Bake with lots of vegies and sausages
Steak, salad and potato bake
Chilli con Carne with cornchips/sour cream etc
No fried rice with steamed garlic chicken
BBQ chicken pizzas and ham/cheese pizza with garlic bread
Pasta cabornara with bacon and mushroom, spinach & parsley