Author Topic: KFC Coating ...... revisited  (Read 196179 times)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: KFC Coating ...... revisited
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2010, 08:36:58 am »
We could have a competition to what to call the "mix" with "Chookie's" name somewhere in the title. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Great work Chookie, like Judy said would love to know what happens. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2010, 09:20:03 am »
CC,  there is quite a story behind the 'naming' of the 'mix'.   When I first made it, JD's DH suggested that I change the name, for legal reasons, or that KFC should stand for something quite different ,  and that I should make it known.   I had worked quite hard to get the taste right.  Even stopped of at a KFC shop on the way home from the city and bought 2 pieces so I could compare.  Until then I was doing it from memory.  Although I was after the flavor,  I was surprised at how greasy it was.   
After JD's DH's wise words,  we had some visitors for tea and I mentioned it to them.  Now this company was academically quite outstanding,  so I thought I would get some good help. ( 2 PHD's and an M Sc. ).They tossed the idea around for some time.  However nothing that I thought suitable.  So DH and I were having lunch and discussing the matter when I realized that the 'village' next to where we live is called Kerrie,  and with some stretch of the imagination,  you could call our property a Farm. So Kerrie Farm Chicken coating.  With your suggestion,  I could adapt the name to something like Kerrie Farm Chookie's coating.  I am open to any suggestions.

Just thought I could donate a book,  how about a Sally Wise one to the successful person. Winner can select which Sally Wise book.

Rules....Must have KFC in that order.   Final date for closing of suggestions 15th. December.2010. This will give me a chance to post the book before Xmas.

Should I consult to see if this is OK.?

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2010, 09:44:38 am »
you are a clever cookie chookie - I like that name already  :D as it has a story behind it
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2010, 09:52:07 am »
I like the name too Chookie - which Sally Wise book would you like  :D :D :D  It is so hard to find a suitable word starting with K so I think the one you've come up with is going to be hard to beat.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2010, 12:45:17 pm »
Actually I agree with CreamPuff and Judy, the name you and your DH came up with is hard to beat.I will put my thinking cap on but I'm pretty sure yours is a front runner. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2010, 05:16:06 am »
Kerrie Farm Chicken gets my vote too. Perfect name.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Millipede

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2010, 11:42:56 am »
I tried this tonight. YUMMO! We love KFC (its a secret guilty pleasure  8)) and this is great, very similar but nicer somehow  ;D I like to think its beacuse the chicken is fresher, spices are freshly ground and there isnt so much grease so you really get to taste the flavours. My only criticism is that the chicken pieces were too large and there wasnt enough fried batter to gobble down  :D

So next time  I've promised the kids I will cut the chicken breast up into really small bits and do KFC popcorn chicken  8)

We were also mucking about thinking of names....

MFC... mummy fried chicken (kids liked that one) or "finger lickin' good chicken"

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2010, 08:44:15 pm »
Millipede, glad you liked the KFC.   I sliced the breast fillet length wise, into flat slices.   This provided a good ratio of coating to chicken.  Good idea about the popcorn.  Might have to zap it a bit in the TMX.   Love to hear how you go.

Offline Millipede

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2010, 12:11:49 am »
I sliced the breast fillet length wise, into flat slices.   This provided a good ratio of coating to chicken.

I did that. I think I just like fried batter  :o I want more!  ;D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2010, 07:00:48 am »
I know how you feel Millipede ;D.   When i was trying to get the herbs right,  I kept frying little bits,  and eating them of course . :P :P :P

Offline Millipede

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2010, 09:55:16 am »
I made "chicken popcorn" last night using the batter mix. Basically cut up chicken breast into walnut sized pieces and proceeded as per recipe. Was nice. For those that love the batter I recomend this way. It only takes a a few minutes to fry the popcorn so the chicken stays really moist too.  ;D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2010, 10:26:40 am »
Thanks Millipede,   this is a great innovation.  Did you smash up the popcorn a bit?

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2010, 10:20:29 pm »
I think it is just called KFC popcorn chicken because it is small popcorn sized pieces and comes in a cinema popcorn style box.  :)

Offline Millipede

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2010, 11:52:53 pm »
I just left them as little cubed chicken pieces.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2010, 01:54:29 pm »
I call mine Kentclucky Fried Chicken....  We live in the Shire of Kent!

My family just adored this! Next time, though, I'm going to do it in the oven. It was just too messy frying it on the stove for the amount that I did - 10 large pieces!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand