Author Topic: What's for Dinner Tonight?  (Read 5136318 times)

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
Re: What's for Dinner Tonight?
« Reply #960 on: August 09, 2011, 01:58:22 pm »
Didn't have time to post as was DS 22 nd birthday, we had chicken Kiev,another lovely recipe. My husband commented on how many new recipes I have cooked lately and how they have all been winners. Thanks everyone. I have alway loved baking but Thermie has given me new found interest in every day meals. Love it.
Denise

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: August 09, 2011, 02:09:08 pm »
JulieO I'd love it if you could forward me your chicken mole recipe, it looks great and I need to use the pc more.

pmsl faffa_70, well at least the poor lamb always knew his ending.

yeah so did we  :-)) :-))
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #962 on: August 09, 2011, 02:22:37 pm »
Here you go Zan, it was very nice.  ;D

CHICKEN MOLE
1 large onion quartered
3 cloves garlic halved if big
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp ground chilli (used ¼ tsp)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp each: ground cumin and ground cloves
4 tbsp olive oil
400g can chopped toms
3 chipotle chillies in adobo sauce finely chopped (I used 1)
8 skinless chicken thighs halved (or quartered if large)
30g Mexican or unsweetened dark choc coarsely chopped (used Lindt dark choc & almond)
1 cup chicken stock
salt
flour tortillas or steamed long grain white rice to serve

Place chocolate into TM bowl.  Chop 3 secs/speed 8.  Remove from bowl.
With blades turning on speed 7, drop garlic through opening in the lid.
Add the onion, oregano and spices. Blend to a coarse paste, 3 secs/speed 5. Scrape down bowl.
Add 2 tbsp oil and blend 30 secs/speed 8 until a paste.  Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.

Place the toms and chipotle chilli into TM.  Blend 30 secs/speed 8 to puree.  Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.

Heat the remaining 2 tbsp oil in pc over med-high heat.  Cook the chicken pieces for around 2-3 mins or until lightly browned.  Transfer to a plate.

Sauté the spiced onion mixture in the cooker over low-med heat until golden brown. 
Add the set aside tomato puree and choc and stir to combine.  Pour in the stock and return the chicken to the pan, stirring to coat.  Lock the lid in place and bring to high pressure over high heat. 
Once stabilised, cook for 10 mins.  Release the pressure using nrm or qrm.  Transfer chicken to a plate.  Cover to keep warm and set aside.

Simmer the sauce uncovered over med heat for a further 5-10 mins until thickened.  Return the chicken to the pot and heat through.  Season with salt.  Serve with tortillas or rice.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #963 on: August 09, 2011, 02:37:24 pm »
Oh if i bottle fed a little lamb, the little love would be snuggled up in bed with me, much to dh disgust. I dont eat rabbit, veal, duck, venison and a few more. I stopped eating lamb living in fremantle and seeing all the trucks. Dh convinced me to have lamb and we do once per month. Ds loves fish 'n' chips, but of course they dont come from the sea........ He as a magical pool of "pretend" fish. Nw he loves bacon and hates pigs, gosh dont know what a pig has done to him, anyway they smell etc. On his last school farm visit he apparantly told the pigs he loved bacon, yes he knows bacon comes from pigs, ...but... Even steak doesnt come from cows, well not in his world.

Hally
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #964 on: August 09, 2011, 09:17:11 pm »
Just wanted to clarify when I say we ate lamb chops I mean a full grown sheep and when I say I am feeding a lamb I mean a new born lamb. Just want to make sure people know we are not eating a baby lamb because that would be discusting. And we have never eaten a pet lamb, we just couldn't do it. If They are girls they are used as breeding stock and if they are boys we either keep them or sell them. Last years girl lamb is just about to have her own lamb any day now.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #965 on: August 10, 2011, 12:44:18 am »
Dede, i know your on a farm and its your livelihood, glad to hear that your are eating sheep. I think city girls just like to pick their meat up from a good butcher and really dont like to think about where it comes from...

Would love a good lamb recipe from you, dh and ds love lamb, i like it too, but it can be a bit fatty. I love lamb shanks when it falls off the bone. Yum.

Hally :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #966 on: August 10, 2011, 01:12:51 am »
Dede....it was a tongue in cheek comment, hope I didn't offend you.
Don't worry, we eat what we raise too  ;) we just call them all "freezer".
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: August 10, 2011, 01:50:21 am »
I see someone was asking for a Chicken Mole recipe for the TMX here with no success.  I really do think JulieO's recipe could be done in the TMX completely for those wanting to give it a go and not having a pressure cooker.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #968 on: August 10, 2011, 01:57:45 am »
I wasn't offended at all I just wanted to make sure people know We don't eat a new born lamb that has died because that is just gross. My DH is a jack of all trades (Butcher, Farmer, Concreter, Truck driver and Shearer)
We actually live in a town surrounded by neighbours and lease a farm not far away from here where DH breeds his sheep. We really cant keep a Lamb here for too long because they are really noisy and demanding so we try to give them back to their mothers or find another mother who has lost a lamb. Lamb no. 2 actually went to a mother who has a single lamb already but it looks like she is going to accept him as well (Ewes don't usually accept another lamb if they only had one that is still alive).  I was brought up on a farm and eating our own farm grown sheep, cows, pigs and chooks was just normal. We used to own a butcher shop as well and I know alot of the customers didn't want to think about the meat was once alive. I'm a real animal lover and couldn't stand seeing the meat we eat actually being butchered or I know I would definitely become a vegetarian as well.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #969 on: August 10, 2011, 07:45:50 am »
My point exactly dede.... Oh and just so its out there i grew up on a small farm and we grew our own meat so to speak but it was butchered and prepared by a local butcher then returned in all the cuts...no prOblem with fresh meat just like dede couldnt see it killed then eat it   :(

Oh and dede dont think anyone thought you were eating baby lambs  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #970 on: August 10, 2011, 11:50:53 am »
I ended up making dinner twice....as the first one was blerk-ing disgusting!  >:(
It was cranberry & pine nut pilaf, with glazed pork. 
The picture looked delicious, it sounded delicious.....but it was
Luckily I had the foresight not to cook the pork fillet first, so I was able to turn it into something else.

So, in the end I made Zans 5 spice pork

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #971 on: August 10, 2011, 12:17:03 pm »
We all have meals like that at times Maddy. I guess we never know until we try them, Love the vomiting smiley face thingy lol.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: August 10, 2011, 01:09:00 pm »
Me too Dede,I had a giggle at that smiley face vomiting :D :D Glad to hear that you resurrected dinner from a disaster Maddy. ;) :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: August 10, 2011, 01:25:25 pm »
"It was cranberry & pine nut pilaf, with glazed pork. "  Is that a TMX recipe maddy - tell us where it is so that we can NOT do it  ;) ;)  You have great alternative meal skills, well done.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #974 on: August 11, 2011, 12:39:50 am »
yes that little emoticon is priceless, and got the picture perfectly maddy
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand