Author Topic: Duck eggs  (Read 8650 times)

Offline katesjoy

• View Profile
Duck eggs
« on: September 05, 2011, 01:03:26 pm »
Anyone got any favourite recipes for duck eggs?  My friends ducks are on a laying frenzy and l have an abundance of them.

Offline passionflower

• View Profile
    • My Many Passions
Re: Duck eggs
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 01:10:55 pm »
They make the best soft boiled eggs, duck eggs and soldiers YUM YUM PIGS BUM !!!
Visit my papercrafting blog
http://www.monicas-passions.blogspot.com

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 01:22:53 pm »
Simply srambled.  I use our duck eggs in any recipes except the ones requiring whites being whisked as they're harder to whip- no duck egg meringue for us  :)
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 01:45:00 pm »
They are brilliant to use in baking!!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Bonsai

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 01:07:31 pm »
Kylie Kwong's home style fried eggs are great, or you could preserve them to use in Chinese dishes - they are usually salted (whole egg in shell) and then cooked before use. The yolk then has an amazing flavour and is normally stir fried with other things (veges or seafood especially).

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 01:44:59 pm »
I have never had duck eggs  :(
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 01:54:39 pm »
I don't use duck eggs but my grandmother always made a mean duck egg sponge cake. Legend has it that duck eggs produce the best sponges as they can whip up voluminously and the taste is richer and yet it rises much lighter.

An Original Recipe by Not Quite Nigella

These tips are essential for such a delicate cake and made the world of difference for us:

Tips:

•Use Duck Eggs if available
•Eggs must be at room temperature (for maximum volume when beating)
•Sift the dry ingredients together at a height using a fine sieve tapping the side of the sieve with the heel of your hand (instead of pressing the flour down through the sieve with a spoon)
•Ensure that the egg and sugar mixture is at least 3 times the original volume. It will take about 8-10 minutes.
•It’s a race against time once you add the dry ingredients to the egg so if you have someone to Sift the flour mixture into the egg mixture while you fold the mixture that is ideal. We got ours in the oven in about 2 minutes and we could see that as the time went on, the mixture started to fall
•Fold in the dry ingredients using a large metal spoon in an up, down and over movement.
•Lightly butter and flour the tin
Ingredients:

•4 Duck eggs (medium sized 420g are fine) or 5 large chicken eggs at room temperature
•2/3 cup caster/superfine sugar
•3/4 cup plain flour
•1/3 cup custard powder
•2 teaspoons baking powder
•A little butter and flour to grease the tins
•2 sponge tins or 2 spring form tines in the same size
Filling:

•300ml cream
•1/4 cup icing sugar
•60grams jam of your choice
•2 tablespoons icing sugar extra for dusting

1. Arrange oven rack so that it sits in the centre of the oven. Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Grease pans with butter and sift flour over butter and shake out excess flour. Whisk eggs and sugar on a medium high setting (I used setting #6 on the Kitchenaid) for 8-10 minutes until it has turned very pale and very thick and has increased in volume to at least 3 times its original volume.

2. Meanwhile, sift the flour and custard powder three times. Each time do it at a bit of a height and tap the side of the sieve with the heel of your hand or use your wrist to shake it back and forth (rather than pressing down on the flour with a spoon).

3. When the egg mixture is ready, ensure that the oven is at the correct temperature. Have everything ready as the timing is crucial now. Sift the flour into the mixture while someone else folds the mixture underneath. This helps to avoid the lumps. Use the up, down and under folding motion (do not stir). It folds easily and should be able to be incorporated easily. Quickly spoon it into the tins and bake in the center row of the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. It should spring back slightly when touched and the edges should pull back from the tin.

4. Cool in the tins for 5 minutes and then remove from the tin gently and cool on a wire rack.

5. Beat cream with icing sugar until stiffish and spread this on one cake half (the heavier or less photogenic one is best). I like to smooth the sides with an angled palette knife for a smoother look. Spoon jam on top and place the other cake round on top and sift icing sugar on top.

and place the other cake round on top and sift icing sugar on top.

Recipe Found here
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline AnneUK

• View Profile
    • My (infrequently updated) blog
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 08:14:08 pm »
I was watching a program me over here where 2 Hairy Bikers compete with a chef. He made what he called 60 degree duck eggs in a thermomix. It's a bit of a no-brained: put duck egg yolks in the thermomix with a dash of buttermilk, salt and white pepper. Set to 60degrees and cook until thickened. Sorry can't tell you if it needs the beater or speed or time. It looked a bit like a hollandaise sauce and he served it with a fish called Zander in a very cheffy dish.

Good luck

Offline katesjoy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 02:50:19 pm »
Thanks everyone - being having some busy nights at work so haven't had a chance to check forum or use my eggs yet!  Am thinking a yummy sponge cake would help me getter over nights though  ;)   Might try salting some eggs in my next batch from the ducks.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 03:33:22 pm »
isn't it funny, I have never considered having duck eggs in a normal recipe. Now I wish that I could put my hands on some so I could trial them.

1.  when I was a kid I used to play at my best friends house and they had heaps of interesting stuff in their back yard (so much going on there (lovely memories) but yes, they had ducks. They were scarier than chooks when I was really younge, and not too interesting from my primary school age apart from their "quack" value but now the closest ducks are living on Lake Monger. (anyone got a torch and a slingshot ha ha)

2.  in grade 7 (12 yo) I used to go to my best friends house (differrent one - I was very popular for some reason) for the weekend and her mum used to whip up a sponge for us for arvo tea. Just for us, with jam/strawberries and cream. The whole sponge - just for arvo tea - SPOILT!  (I carried this on for my kids and my kids loved this indulgence also, and quite often bring this memory up)

3. remembering I grew up in the country I am reflecting upon having (or was I told to - this is a different friend to the ducks) to get over a sheep yard and there was a flock of geese (horror stories imparted at this vital part (think chasing and pecking). I don't think I ventured across to the other side...
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 10:40:42 pm »
CP you had and interesting childhood. We had ducks at one stage when I was young. I can remember the little ducklings(so cute)  more so and the duck poo ( yuck).
I was once chased and knocked down by a pet sheep , was night mare material as I was always so scaredof that sheep after that. He was evil I do believe. And his name was suzie lol. Not a very evil name ( we thought he was a she).
But the worst experience I had was from satin the rooster, now he would see me from a far and come running at me flat out. He was a nasty piece of work. I was happy the day he had his head chopped off I can tell you. I still to this day hate roosters and don't trust them.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 11:27:49 pm »
Dede, we too had an evil rooster,spurred my brother nastily...he went in the pot.
Also had a duck,Donny from donnybrook,laid heaps of beautiful eggs. I think I just used them as you would chooks eggs. Then we got our Dog Mandy ....from Mandurah,not very creative with our names are we?
Denise