Author Topic: peanut butter  (Read 13200 times)

Offline katesjoy

• View Profile
peanut butter
« on: January 19, 2010, 12:30:55 pm »
Just made peanut butter for the very first time (from the EDC) and will never be buying the fake stuff again.  It just tastes delicious - going to have to make some more bread so l can slather it on!

I assume you would just have to substitute different nuts for different types of butter?

Offline isi

• View Profile
Re: peanut butter
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 05:56:12 pm »
I want to have this recipe as well - please! :-)) :-)) :-))
It would be successful here at home!
Is it here in the forum??? - I asked before I surched - sorry 8)

Offline katesjoy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 11:02:02 pm »
I couldn't find it in a searcy Isi, so here it is.  Oh so simple.

200g peanuts (salted or unsalted)
2 tablespoon Sunflower oil

Nuts into  *: mix for 10 sec on speed 6 or keep mixing until you have the desired concistency.  Add oil, mix for 10 sec on speed 6.  Scrape down sides and continue to mix for another 10 sec on speed 6.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 11:25:36 pm »
It's divine!  ;D My only problem is DS (Mr 4) won't eat it as I put it into a nice hexagonal glass jar and he doesn't like the look of the jar  >:( >:( too bad for him everyone else eats it lol
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 12:16:08 am »
Thank you so much katesjoy!
I will do it tomorrow.
bye isi

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 01:26:18 am »
When I make it with different nut mixes, I don't add any oil. It doesn't need it. I make almond, cashew and peanut.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 04:39:17 am »
You are right Megan, it doesn't and when you buy it from the health shops etc where they make it on the spot they only ever just crush the nuts. Do they still do that these days??
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline katesjoy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 07:22:10 am »
thanks MJ and faffa, will have to do some experimenting tomorrow.  Especially as the peanut butter has already disapeared.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 11:19:02 am »
My DH and DD are brainwashed by the bought stuff.  They don't like this unless I add some salt and sugar  :(  They also prefer it if I roast the nuts a bit first.  Somewhat disheartening when I'm trying to feed them healthily, but still better than the bought stuff, I guess.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 11:29:19 am »
I am going to try this today!
Will tell you about the reactions :D
isi

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 11:37:39 am »
My DH and DD are brainwashed by the bought stuff.  They don't like this unless I add some salt and sugar  :(  They also prefer it if I roast the nuts a bit first.  Somewhat disheartening when I'm trying to feed them healthily, but still better than the bought stuff, I guess.
Wondering if you could add half home made to half bought and whether they would notice the difference.  Then you could gradually put less of the bought and more of the home made until it was all homemade.  This is probably wishful thinking on my part.  I remember back 25 years ago when DH was only DB and he told me my girls wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a homebrand can of tuna to a John West brand so I tried it just to prove to him that they would.  DD1 walked through the front door and smelt the tuna mornay from there, calling out, yuk what's that smell ???  DB was then convinced that I knew my daughters better than he did  :-)) :-))
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 12:13:14 pm »
LOL
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline katesjoy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 02:53:17 am »
That's too bad Caroline.  Kids taste buds are such tricky things (and apparently even DH!) - mine aren't much better mind you!  I probably wouldn't have been swayed by the real thing a year ago.  Yeah, am finally growing up, hehe.

Offline mama_bel

• View Profile
    • Home Cooked
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 01:19:03 pm »
I make this peanut butter, but always find it too oily with 2 tbsn, so cut it back to half a tbspn then add more as required.  I added some salt and sugar at first, then less the next time, less the next time and so on.  That's what I usually do when weaning the tribe off commercial stuff! :)  Anyway, my salt is good salt and my sugar is at least organic raw stuff, so it's gotta be better than bought!  I find it keeps quite well, if I make 3 or 4 batches in one go and put it in the pantry. 
Bel
Growing, cooking, learning, working at home...
So why am I always in the car?

http://belcooks.blogspot.com/

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 01:31:58 pm »
It's good to know that it stores well, Mama Bel.  I wondered whether it did.  Once I'm back in the kitchen properly I'll make it again, and begin with the salt and sugar but gradually reduce like you suggest. 

It's similar to your idea, isn't it Judy  :)
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!