Author Topic: Dulce de Leche courtesy of Bron  (Read 139299 times)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Dulce de Leche courtesy of Bron
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2010, 03:11:24 pm »
Yes I need a new one too, have just worn the poor thing out!  :D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2010, 09:51:45 am »
That's the problem...... :o :o I am not slim, occasionally the odd person asks me if I am expecting my 4th!!! Then they die with embarrassment when I say no, its all me ;D ;D ;D  am a good 14 -16, which is a nightmare in Spain, all the sizing is tiny here!
:D  I have that one too, Bron.  'course, at the moment it's true!  But usually it's all me.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Carrie

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2010, 01:15:06 am »
I'm wondering if anyone knows if this would work ok with thickened cream? It's all we have on hand and I hoped to make it early today before going to the shop tonight.
Mama at home with my 4yo additive sensitive son, feeding family of 3 and a furbaby easily with my Thermie.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2010, 01:19:39 am »
Certainly would - just check for texture after about 35 minutes - it may take less time with the thicker cream, but will work
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Carrie

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2010, 01:39:31 am »
Excellent, thanks so much. :D
Mama at home with my 4yo additive sensitive son, feeding family of 3 and a furbaby easily with my Thermie.

Offline Carrie

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2010, 03:55:09 am »
Updating... it turned out beautifully with the thickened cream. It only needed 40 mins cooking. :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2010, 04:21:18 am »
Thanks for being the guinea pig  :-* :-* :-* :-* - I know it's hard work - but somebody has to do it.  It is worth the effort (if there is any with the TMX whizzing around for 40 minutes)  ;) ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline scyrene

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2010, 05:56:15 pm »
I am currently making this - it's a bit of a test to see if my machine is working again, after a part was replaced. I'll report back!

Offline scyrene

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2010, 07:39:33 pm »
So! It was a success - amazing how it transforms, even with the lid on!

So here's what I have done with it: turned it into homemade Baileys (equivalent)! I have blended the dulce de leche with a couple of hundred ml milk, and just under half a bottle (~300ml) whisky (I used JD, as that's what I had) - it is DELICIOUS! A great new version, which needs neither egg nor glycerine! :)

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2010, 08:46:39 pm »
OK yum, yum and triple yum!!!  Am just about to go an make this but a quick (although possibly irrelevant) question - how long will this keep for?

I say possibly irrelevant because I expect the children will just eat it out of the jar!  ;D

Hopefully before me!  :-))

Nik
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2010, 10:21:40 pm »
Don't know the exact time Nik but I wouldn't worry about would go off - you are right, the kids will just eat it out of the jar if you don't get to it first and make something with it.  It pays to have a few recipes ready and waiting for when you make a batch of this delicious caramel. Love the Baileys idea.  I just love the banoffee pie for special occasions.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2010, 12:11:50 am »
Would this caramel be suitable to use making Creme Caramel's?  I have found a recipe for creme caramel, but it says to use caramel sauce.  I would rather not buy a commercial caramel sauce, and was wondering if this would work?  Or maybe it might be too thick?
Karen in Adelaide

Offline scyrene

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2010, 02:55:50 am »
I've made this three times now - I can't get enough of it (oh dear!) - I'm going to make it with my friend at the weekend, too, and maybe over Christmas for family.

One word of advice: if you forget to add the bicarb, don't do what I did - stop the machine halfway through, add the bicarb, and turn it back on. It frothed EVERYWHERE (think hot sugary milk all over the place). Still, once it had calmed down, it cooked down fine! :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2010, 06:34:19 am »
KJH, my batches of this have been quite thick so perhaps if you keep an eye on it and stop cooking it before it gets to that point, it would be quite suitable for creme caramels.  Remember it sets firmer when cold. I haven't done it for ages though so at what point you would cease cooking it, I couldn't tell you.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline LeeJ

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2011, 09:44:39 am »
Made this tonight, stayed close by as I was petrified of a sugary spill!  :o

Went perfectly, no overflow or anything :)

Currently enjoying it with some vanilla icecream and chocolate sauce (went all out haha!)