Author Topic: Thought it was about time...  (Read 4696 times)

Offline joksanders

• View Profile
Thought it was about time...
« on: January 06, 2011, 11:01:25 am »
hello!

I thought it was about time I stop lurking silently on these forums and say hello!!  ;)

I'm pretty new to the Thermomix revolution...  I was first grabbed by Thermomix at a demo a friend had a couple of months ago, and went home filled with enthusiasm and thoughts of how I could possibly raise the cash to purchase one.   I tried to get my husband to enthuse too, but it seemed he was having none of it, so I sulked and promised myself I'd save up and get one asap!

Anyway...  Christmas Eve arrives and there's a big, Thermomix size box under (well to the side actually - it was too big!) the tree.  Fleetingly, it crossed my mind that it could be my dream appliance, but as hubbie had seemed so anti-thermomix from the word go, I didn't dare to dream...

But, you guessed it, that's exactly what it was!!  I sat in stunned silence for quite some time (not at all like me!), cried and even told him to take it back as we'd agreed it was too expensive for now.  I must add that had he ordinarily bought me a household appliance for Christmas/Birthday he would have quickly found it wrapped round the back of his head!!   But, with Thermomix he knew he was onto a winner - what a lovely hubbie I have!

So, since Christmas day I've made various things with it - hardly a day has gone by that I haven't used it for something.
My aim is to use it mainly for family dinners on a regular basis - not just for special occasions or for food I don't make regularly (i.e. jams, pickles etc)  I love to cook, so I'm trying to train my brain the 'think Thermomix' rather than traditional methods I've used previously.  I made spaghetti bolognaise tonight, but being a bit of a 'chuck it in and see what happens' type of cook I didn't go by the book - made a sort of hybrid of the Tomato pasta sauce and the bolognaise sauce.  It had mixed reviews - I think I need a bit of practice!  Any tips on making sauces less watery? I think I perhaps let the tomatoes get chopped too much.

So far so good!

Looking forward to chatting to you all!
Jo xxxx

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Thought it was about time...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 11:14:30 am »
Hi Jo, a big welcome to the forum.  I can imagine how suprised you were on Christmas morning, what a sneaky (but lovely) trick your DH played on you, feigning disinterest in the TMX but secretly organising one for you.  Gotta love a DH like that.  I also bought mine with main meals in mind but of course you do branch out and end up making all sorts of things you never would have dreamt of doing. It takes a while to get the hang of it but a lot of TMX recipes have a lot of sauce and we usually keep it, freeze for another use, thicken it slightly with cornflour or add more meat or vegies to make full use of the sauce.  When you browse the recipe section here you will find many comments of 'too much sauce' but a lot of us like that - you could of course just reduce the amount of liquid that gets added.  It will all fall into place as you use your machine more.  Thanks for finally coming in and joining us - have fun.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 11:30:50 am »
Hi and welcome. Wow what a great xmas present and dh!!

Try a few of the tried and tested recipes that way you get a better feel for the quantities and methods that work best with the tmx.

I use mine for around 6 main meals a week but I also love the extras, mayo, dips, custards, sorbets, smoothies, bread - I hardly buy anything at the supermarket anymore.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 05:14:52 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum Jo.What a great Christmas present.It sounds as though you are having a great time cooking with your new TM. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 05:07:08 am »
Welcome Jo and what a lovely DH you have.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermo Jo (aka Jodi)

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 03:03:31 am »
What a cheeky husband, showing a big smoke screen! Cunning but I like it. They're the best kind of surprises.

As your confidence builds, you will quickly work out how to adjust your recipes to suit the tastes of your family. Practice makes perfect as they say.
Demonstrator in training!
Converted for life!

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 04:25:45 am »
Weelcome to the forum Jo.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 07:38:24 am »
Jo welcome to the Forum.    There are some great main meals on here.   They are all well tested. ;D ;D ;D

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 08:44:22 am »
Hi jo

Love your story...got to love hubbys like that...and had a laugh about any other appliance being wrapped around his head lol

think the thermomix in general takes a bit of getting used to and adjusting your ways to his ways but after its all good..i use mine several times a day (at home mum) and the only thing i havent quite branched out into is desserts as im not a big dessert person but hubby keeps hounding me so im going to have to sooner or later..enjoy the experience and the huge helping hand in tihe kitchen!

:)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 11:36:14 pm »
Hi and welcome what a lovely husband I also want to use mine for a lot of mains meals you could try the beef stroganoff (we use chicken with the recipe) you should try and get the Indian Cookbook - the butter chicken is delish

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 03:04:25 am »
Welcome to the forum Jo - what a great Christmas - DD3 also received a thermie, it too sat under the Christmas tree (after living with us while their house was being built, she decided that life would not be the same without a thermie, so ordered it but wanted to open it Christmas day). Your enthusiasm is shared by all. Cheers  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 04:39:09 am »
Hi Jo, and welcome!  That's great you got your 'dream present'!!!  I'm sure you're loving it... looking forward to seeing some of your recipes on here soon! :)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline whisks

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 05:00:57 am »
your post brought a tear to my eyes when i read it - isn't your hubby a sweetie? can't help but love someone like that - you're a lucky girl!
congratulations and welcome to the forum!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 01:08:04 pm »
Belated welcome - good old Santa
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.