Author Topic: What made you buy your Thermomix?  (Read 60491 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What made you buy your Thermomix?
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2010, 04:56:09 am »
Nice story bartoncs - glad it has helped you get a life.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2010, 07:26:39 am »
Very good story indeed bartoncs.

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2010, 11:56:22 pm »
Great work indeed bartoncs - hope we can help with sorting out the recipes that you find errors in.  :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2010, 01:08:25 pm »
Since this post is linked to an Introductions post, I thought I'd give my 2c worth!

I first saw the Thermomix at my sister's place. She'd been to a demo and bought one. This was back in '04, so it was a TM21. I'm a food lover and a hit and miss lazy cook. Some days I'll want to make a complicated difficult dish, the next bacon and eggs because I can't be bothered!

The Thermomix, to me, meant shortcuts. Easy bread dough, easy pastry making and quick custards, sauces and soups. It means a lot more to me now that I've upgraded to the TM31. It's something I use every single day for either whole meals, cakes, bread dough, bicsuits, pastry, soup, risotto or for the preparation of the main meal.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2010, 09:19:25 am »
I thought I'd give this thread a bump, as it's great for people checking out the Thermomix to see what other people think of it, and how it's helped them...

I first saw a demo in September 2003 - I had three small kids, and was due to have another in three weeks time...  I've always made everything I could from scratch, including baby food, so the idea of making baby food quickly and without killing the enzymes caught my interest!  I had a big old stone grinder for grinding my grain, and a bread maker for my bread, bought bulk to save money and cut down on packaging, loved to cook, liked to juice but found cleaning the juicer annoying...  I also have problems with dairy, so was buying rice milk, so making my own would be much cheaper... the Thermomix was obviously perfect for me! 

At the demo, the consultant made it all look so easy, and she got me to make the custard and I was amazed at how quick and easy it was - I was hooked!  I absolutely stuffed myself at the demo, the food was so delicious, then went home and popped... In other words, the baby arrived within a couple of hours of the demo (three weeks early!!!) - I must have eaten too much!  ;) lol

I told my dh all about it, and he said "If it'll save you time, get it!"  (What a sweetie!)  I did wait for our tax return though, then bought it with that.  So I've had one for over 6 years now - first I had the TM21, sold that last year to my sister and bought the TM31, and now I have two TM31's - yay!  I use it about 10 times a day, and wouldn't be without one!
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline pinkscrapbooker

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2010, 11:52:54 am »
Great thread, interesting read. I was excited about what TMX would allow me to hide in food. I have a 9 yo DS who has Aspergers syndrome. Feeding him can be very difficult, as he dislikes new textures and  flavors. When I saw a machine that could make sorbets and fresh juices using whole fruits, I was hooked. We love it for bread and pizza dough, haven't bought a takeaway pizza for months, and am really excited that I can make some really advanced things like hollandaise  sauce and they work! Couldn't imagine life without it now

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2010, 04:02:55 pm »
Once I had heard about the TMX, I HAD to have it.  I am into all things that enable me to spend more time with my little girls (2 and 3).  I wanted to cook from scratch for them, but at the time I bought it, they were 1 and 2 years old, and I just didn't have the time.  Plus, many dinners were ruined because someone vomitted, did a poo, or I had to break up a fight (or a mix of the above).

I got invited to a demo coincidently while I was researching it online.  I promised my DH I wouldn't buy one that night, I waited until the next morning  ;).  The demo convinced me, I was  :o at all it could do.  Plus, I just couldn't find ANYONE online who regretted buying one!  I googled "TMX regret", "TMX broken", "TMX disappointed" etc etc etc, and NOTHING!!

DH and I love it, I make a much wider variety of food, with ease, and I know we eat MUCH more healthfully now.  DH tells all his male patients to buy them for their wives!

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2010, 05:11:16 pm »
I knew I wanted to cut out all additives and preservatives and knew that a TMX would make that achievable - and it has. And so easily. It is worth every cent that it costs because of what it does for my and my families health. It's opened up a whole new world of cooking for me.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2010, 06:15:39 pm »
Interesting that this topic was bumped up today.  My friend Joycee stopped by for a visit, on her way to Las Vegas.  She got a Thermomix after seeing mine in operation.  She lives on a boat and doesn't have easy access to the internet so hasn't joined the forum.
I'm going to turn this over to her so she can tell her experiences.

Hi all.  As Andie said, I saw her machine last Xmas when I stopped by for a brief visit.  I live on a 45 foot boat in a marina and my galley is tiny, less than 7 feet wide, including the lockers (cabinets) and five feet long.  My counter space is 2 feet deep by 3 feet long, little room for more than a coffee maker and a toaster.  I ate out a lot, fast food and stuff than wasn't good for me because fixing a decent meal was too complicated.  I have a small veggie garden in pots (andie's idea) on my slip and the foredeck but other than snacking, I didn't use them much.  I bought the TM31 and love it, love it!  There are so many foods that I never ate because I had no way of fixing them but now I fix them all the time.  I have to go to the public library to get online so haven't joined this group.  I spent the money I was saving to get a new computer on the TM31.    I've got a lot of recipes from here, print them at the library and one of the librarians is interested in learning more about the machine, so the ripples on the pool continue to widen and touch more folks.  I have to get on the road now but I will check on the forum when I get home on Sunday.  I'm not going to Lost Wages to gamble, I have a consulting job there that requires me to go because I don't have internet  at home.
Bye, Joycee R.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2010, 12:14:19 am »
That's great, Joycee - if I had the choice between a computer and a Thermomix, I'd choose a Thermomix too!!!  ;D
It must be perfect for your boat... our last house had the tiniest galley kitchen I'd ever seen, so the Thermomix was a God-send!!
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2010, 01:42:04 am »
How lovely to hear from you Joycee, I remember Andie mentioning a friend who lived on a boat. It is a perfect solution to your working area. Thanks for popping in.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2010, 03:37:00 am »
While Joycee was typing, I prepared a batch of chicken, mushroom risotto for her to take along in a vacuum jug.  She stayed too long to have time for lunch before she got to her meeting and this way she will have a hot lunch. 

She, like me, loves risotto but never, ever fixed it at home.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline salval

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2010, 07:12:45 am »
I've read every post on this thread & enjoyed them all.

What made me buy one.. I have very low confidence, especially in the kitchen. I don't enjoy cooking at all. And I'm not a great cook. But I have 2 small children & the reality is that I have to cook! And I'm sick of the numbers that I see on the ingredient panels of supermarket foods.

I'm married to an Italian who comes from a family of wonderful cooks. I feel incredibly intimidated & it's not unusual for me to get physically sick and/or migraine when I'm due to host a family function at our house.

I first heard about Thermomix a few years ago, when a friend of a friend bought one, but all I got out of the conversation was how good the mashed potatoes were & I thought "hmmnn lot of money for mashed potatoes". Then a couple of months ago, another friend became a consultant & I went along to a class. As the presenter commented, I sat there with my mouth open the entire presentation. The next week I had a demo, followed by 3 dreams, total obsession & selling it to DH.

I've now had my Thermomix for 3 weeks & 2 days & it's the best thing I've ever bought in my life.

For the first time in - ever - I am happy in the kitchen. I feel good about myself. I feel that I can attempt a recipe & if it doesn't work out, then I'll try again - because it's so quick & easy to do! .. Previously, I would have criticised myself & given up because I was "hopeless".

It's changed my life - and for the first time, I'm actually not dreading my son's birthday in November, when we'll be having the family over for a party. This feeling alone, was worth every cent.
Mum of 3 (2 x 2-legged & 1 x 4-legged)
TMX Consultant in Newport, Melbourne

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2010, 07:52:44 am »
You have put that so well salval and I feel so happy for you  ;D Most of us have amazed ourselves with what we have attempted and turned out. Once you start making a few basic things, you begin to realise how easy it is to avoid those numbers on packets.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2010, 09:51:02 am »
Lovely story salval - by November your confidence will have you producing the best and easiest party food ever.  Start planning it now and knock all those in-laws off their feet with amazement.  It is so hard to cook for others who are good cooks but remember, we all like to have a break from cooking and so therefore can appreciate a sandwich if it was made for us by someone else !   Will be watching your posts to see what you have been making and will especially be keen to hear how DS's birthday party goes a bit further down the track. Say goodbye to your migraines and those panic attacks you have experienced in the past and say hello to the new you.  Well done  :)