Author Topic: Time for another torres/Nikkit story...  (Read 7206 times)

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
Time for another torres/Nikkit story...
« on: April 11, 2014, 04:51:45 am »
Time for another story ladies, although not sure if you'll be cleaning computer screens after this one  ;D

I flew in a surveillance chopper one day around the Torres Straits. The pilot usually did the whole flight by himself, writing the report with his left hand while he was trying to keep the chopper in the air with his right hand. (not an easy task!) I told him he could fly, I would write and we’d get the job done in no time.

Seeing as I knew a lot of the trawlers and fishing boats by sight and I knew their rego's I’d tell him to fly past them all anchored up at the islands. I could rattle off 50 rego’s out of 100 boats anchored in one spot, so no need to stop and hover over them. Plus the lads on the boats worked all night, so day time was for sleeping and the last thing they wanted was a chopper hanging around making a racket. The guys tend to get a bit titchy when their sleep is interrupted – I had been threatened before when flying past one too many times trying to get rego’s or check out a strange boat.

Anyway the pilot didn’t listen. (he knew best...) We’re hovering, real close...barely 10 metres off the water and 20m from the back of the boat, I’m writing the report and also asking him "please lets go, we’re going to annoy someone in a minute."

All of a sudden over the UHF comes “**** chopper, get the **** away ****before **** I ***** shoot ***** you”!

Lo and behold there’s a big hairy peeved dude in his undies on the deck of the trawler we’re hanging around with a shotgun in his hands. I could see the whites of his eyes we're that close  :o

Hence - we're making a whole lot of noise the guys really don't need to hear!

“oh gosh” says the pilot “I think he’s a bit cross, time for us to go”  ???

I gave the pilot the evil eye and got on the radio to apologise profusely to the bloke on the trawler, saying that this pilot was new and didn’t know all the rules yet. Would he please not shoot! Calmed the chap down somewhat and we had a good old chat about planes and choppers and how much noise we make and I told him that I would put the word out to not get so close next time. I finished the chat on a good note, the skipper was happy, I had made a friend in the trawler group – all good.

The pilot however, was not happy.  :-))

I got a serious “talking to” about how he was not new, he had X amount of hours flying choppers blah blah blah. And he was taking this higher. “Go right ahead mate, you have a lot to learn yet”  was my reply!

So he took it higher, I stood my ground (I’d had a few more hours flying in the straits than he did at that stage and knew a whole lot more about it than what he did) and explained to the boss man what the go was and what happened. Boss man agreed with me, had a quiet word with the pilot and all was good.

Sort of.

I had to fly with that pilot again another time and figured I better sweeten the deal with some nice morning tea, so I took cake and coffee and all the trimmings next time we were flying. We landed on a little island, had a lovely cuppa and cake, a good old chat about the ins and outs of flying in the Straits. It worked, he listened and learned and I don't think anyone was ever threatened by a big trawler dude in his undies with a shotgun again! 

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Time for another torres/Nikkit story...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 06:03:56 am »
I'm glad I wasn't in the chopper with the gun pointed up at me. I would have definitely needed a nappy change.

The pilot must have been a good bloke if he enjoyed the coffee and cake. Thank goodness and he learned from the experience.
My iPad screen hasn't been splotched but it was still a great story. Thanks Nikkit.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline troupie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 06:10:41 am »
You have no chance of ever getting bored with a job like that and you even get to stop for morning tea on an island; cant beat a cuppa to smooth over a sticky situation (with the pilot). I must have pressed a wrong button the first time I sent this message as it disappeared.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 07:02:01 am »
Good one Nikkit, I'd fly with you any day - just not in a helicopter or a small plane LOL
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 07:21:31 am »
Always good to get another nikkit story.  You have a way with words, perhaps our next publisher!
Denise

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 07:41:05 am »
What do you do Nikkit? Why do u fly around and write down regos?

Sounds interesting 😃

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 08:43:07 am »
Always a good read while eating my breakfast Nikkit.I cleaned the screen a few times of coffee spots :D :D :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 09:49:17 am »
love it Nikkit :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 11:44:53 am »
Lovely story nick kit. Passing the time waiting for,the big blow.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 02:34:18 am »
BZB many moons ago when I had a waist and my boobs were perky  :o I used to fly as an observer doing aerial surveillance in the Torres Straits. We had to report all vessels that we saw, plus lots of other stuff.

Gert, hope the blow is not as bad as what is expected for you and that all is ok. Take care.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 03:26:32 am »
Such nostalgia. I remember waists and perky boobs. And the men who loved them. Sigh!

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 07:13:10 am »
Such nostalgia. I remember waists and perky boobs. And the men who loved them. Sigh!

Gert

I still have the waist, it is just many inches larger, and if I stood on my head there maybe perky boobs, but they would probably flop in front of my eyes and I couldn't see if they were perky.  ;D ;D ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 09:15:39 am »
I love how our stories  run off on different tangents. Thanks for the giggles girls. Xx
Denise

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 09:50:59 am »
Hahaha. Gotta love this forum, and the members here. You can never tell what pops up on a thread 😄😃😝😜

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 11:37:05 am »

Gert

I still have the waist, it is just many inches larger, and if I stood on my head there maybe perky boobs, but they would probably flop in front of my eyes and I couldn't see if they were perky.  ;D ;D ;D
Just tried it cookie and my saggy baggys, still look like they do when upside down as they do when right way up 😜😢No perkiness here!