Author Topic: Sour Cream Pastry  (Read 37523 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Sour Cream Pastry
« on: May 11, 2010, 07:40:35 am »

Sour Cream Pastry
Maggie Beer's Recipe

Makes one large quiche or two smaller ones.
(To make a quiche, allow 20 minutes resting time for pastry and another 20 minutes resting time once pastry is in the tin, then a further 1/2 hour or so cooking time)
This is a deliciously short, flaky pastry that's well worth making.

Ingredients:
200g chilled butter in chunks
250g plain flour

Process in  *:. (I actually put my bowl in the fridge for 10 minutes to chill it) for a few seconds until it looks like breadcrumbs.

120g sour cream (1/2 cup)

Add to  *: and process on speed 3-4 for a few seconds until crumbly, but beginning to come together. Tip out on to floured board. Bring together and throw on to counter a couple of times (helps prevent shrinkage!). Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 20 minutes.
Place on to silicon mat. Bash with rolling pin to help with rolling out. Make a large rectangle or circle and place in flan tin. Rest in fridge for another 20 minutes. Bake in a very hot oven (220C) for 5 - 10 minutes until beginning to brown. If you have high sides on quiche tin, cover with foil. Remove from oven and discard foil. Inhibit pastry by placing a tea towel over the top and pressing down.
Pour in desired filling and bake for 25 - 35 minutes, depending on size.

Will post photo when it cools down!

Suggestions from other forum members.

JulieO-uses natural yoghurt instead of sour cream.

Forum members have used it for both sweet and savoury fillings.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 07:29:00 am by cookie1 »
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Sour Cream Pastry
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 10:19:34 am »
Great stuff MJ - that is a classic - I thought that somebody had already posted it on here?  JulieO?  Can't find in quick search so BIG THANKS - this is the best pastry (maybe Damien's pastry in Stephanie's book gives it a run, but this is the simpler)

It looks superb  :-* :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 10:45:03 am »
Looks delicious MJ, nice photo too.  ;D

I don't think it was me Thermomixer, though I have made it many times, only I use natural yoghurt in place of the sour cream.  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 12:12:02 pm »
What a great cook you are MJ - bet that German backpacker is enjoying his meals  ;D ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 02:53:11 pm »
Thank you JD! yes, indeed he is enjoying his meals here. He's told his mother that she doesn't have to be concerned as he's eating very well.... ;D

I tried a search first to check to see if anyone else had posted this recipe, but couldn't find it. It's hard to know where to put pastry recipes. Since this is a savoury pastry, I posted in mains, but I think you could add some icing sugar and it would be a lovely sweet pastry too!

Julie, I wanted to use yoghurt, but thought that the fat content wouldn't be the same, so went with the original recipe. But, if you're happy with yoghurt, then I'll try that next time.

This pastry does shrink a little, so make sure you allow for that. I was glad of it, because I'd forgotten to grease the quiche pan! It didn't stick a bit. Whew!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 02:56:15 pm »
Looks delicious MJ, nice photo too.  ;D

I don't think it was me Thermomixer, though I have made it many times, only I use natural yoghurt in place of the sour cream.  :)
So do I JulioO. It's a great pastry - thanks MJ
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 03:43:54 am »
your quiche looks superb - are you able to share the recipe for the filling you used as well?
I usually make nconnellas recipe on this forum, "Delicious Vegetable Quiche" (in Vegetarian section) - which is beautiful.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 09:31:37 pm »
Oh gosh! I can't remember the recipe that I used! I'll have to go through my books and find out which one it was, unless I just made it up. I'm not sure now..... :-))
The Bush Gourmand

Offline containergirl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 09:04:05 am »
Thanks for converting this recipe.  It is one of those recipes I am always going to make - and the family talk about when we watch Maggie.  Your quiche looks divine.
Senior Princess
Pimlico Palace

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 12:27:36 am »
Looking forward to trying my quiche which I made last night.  It did shrink in the 5 minutes of cooking, but still looks delicious.  Will report back once we've tried it.

I wonder whether it would work to have the pastry higher than the sides, and then it would shrink to the size of the dish?  It only shrank a few centimeters.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 02:28:46 am »
MJ that is a fantastic looking quiche. Sounds like another possible use for the yoghurt that folk have been making if they want to substitute yoghurt for the sour cream. Will have to give it a go. Another on my "to do" list.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 07:29:45 am »
This is a very nice pastry & it does work well in the TMX. I usually use natural yoghurt but had some sour cream so used it instead. I was a little sticky but still manageable with a bit of flour on the board. Fabulous taste. Thanks for converting MJ
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline AmandaN

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 09:17:40 am »
I have made this pastry a few times now.  Its really nice to work with.  I made a chocolate and peanut tart (from the Careme pastry web site and Masterchef Mag vol1), and I have also used it for small lemon curd tarts and chocolate ganache tarts.  Today I am doing it for a quiche with roasted pumpkin, and caramelized onions.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 03:01:12 pm »
Thanks for this terrific recipe.  It is the first pastry that I have made in the TMX,  and it was very easy.   I have used it as a base for Beef and Beetroot Pies,  with Careme pastry tops.  I will post the recipe after a taste test tomorrow. 

Offline containergirl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 04:03:08 am »
my goodness chookie....,you are so prolific I am amazed it was your first pastry.  Beef and beetroot pies sound great.
Senior Princess
Pimlico Palace