Author Topic: Quirky Cooking - Beef Stroganoff with Cabbage 'noodles' (page 118)  (Read 13332 times)

Offline JuicyFruit

• View Profile
My book arrived yesterday afternoon and I wasted no time devouring it while waiting in the car as my son did Aikido  :D  

The first recipe I was going to try was the Black Bean Molé, only my day ran longer than imagined so we needed something quick, and the Beef Stroganoff with steamed cabbage 'noodles' seemed just the thing, served along with rice ..

Must note I had to sub plain yoghurt for the dairy free sour cream (recipe also in book) as I didn't have any soaked nuts, and I was a little short on tomato paste too but made do with approx half of what was asked for, and still the result was absolutely delicious!  Even the boy who is very anti-mushroom loved it!

I think the smoked parprkia is the real star of this recipe, but it's well balanced with all the other flavours .. And the sauce has a really lovely creamy texture, plenty of it too, so the rice was a great addition ..

I should also mention that I only cooked it for 20min instead of 25, and only added the cabbage & varoma for the last 10min of that instead of at the start as we like our steamed veggies to have a bit of crunch ..

Will definitely be making this again soon!  ;)
Linked CC

« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 10:31:11 am by Cornish Cream »
~ Clare

Offline Shazzy

• View Profile
Re: Quirky Cooking - Beef Stroganoff with Cabbage 'noodles' (page 118)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 12:25:01 pm »
Snap - I made this today as well (and the Mole - but will have that for dinner tomorrow night :)). We all enjoyed it but I think it needed more than the cabbage to mop up the juices because as you say there was a lot of sauce. Was easy and quick to make.

Offline JuicyFruit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 06:54:33 am »
Haha, great cooks eat alike  ;D
~ Clare

Offline Shazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 12:03:03 pm »
Absolutely :):)

Offline ELH05

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 02:47:22 pm »
Best Strog EVER - I used normal sour cream

Offline ambro0

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 11:12:34 pm »
I halved the recipe as there are only the two of us and sliced my rump steak fairly thin. Reduced the overall cooking time and I think because of this, the juice stayed in the steak and we had just the right amount of sauce. A delicious meal and we enjoyed it served over the cabbage for a GF meal!

Thanks Jo!
Annette from Tannum Sands

Offline Persistenttiger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 02:56:39 am »
Yummy. Too much cayenne for out tastes though.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
Quirky Cooking - Beef Stroganoff with Cabbage 'noodles' (page 118)
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 10:49:13 am »
We all enjoyed this dish. I used normal sour cream and left out the cayenne (way too many bad experiences for me to ever use it again 😳). I also put the beef in for the last 10mins only. I didn't make the cabbage noodles and served it with fettuccine. It's a great dish that the whole family enjoyed, but I think I still prefer Chelsea's beef stroganoff more.

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 02:40:25 pm »
I made this last night, first time ever making beef stroganoff & probably first time I have tried it as it has mushrooms in it. Must be an age thing as I'm slowly starting to have mushrooms in things without running a mile.

The recipe ... We loved it & particularly the smokey paprika taste (It's one thing I love about Jo's recipes). Only thing I changed was to use dairy free sour cream.

Offline LauraTO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 02:54:20 am »
This was really really good!!!  I made it with real sour cream, and used 4 garlic cloves instead of 2 (i routinely double the garlic for any recipe).  I also used corn starch instead of arrowroot. 

A note for north americans- apparently what Australians call "rump steak" is more what we call sirloin roast.  Thank you Google!  Although we have rump steak here in Canada, it is something different.  I still only spent about $10 (Canadian) on the 850 g sirloin roast, and was glad I did.  Tender and flavourful!

The smoked paprika is quite dominant (I was nervous putting in the whole 2 tbsp) but it really does work.  The cabbage is lovely- I think I will just cook in 20 min next time to keep it a bit more crunchy.  I might even do more cabbage next time- it's a very saucy dish.

My first QC recipe checked off- thank you Jo for sending me a personalized copy all the way in Canada!!

(also thanks to CC for sending me the ingredient list at work so I could do my grocery shop in time :))

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 07:07:40 am »
Great news Laura. Lots of co operation going on there.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 02:21:53 pm »
Made this again tonight & it was really salty, was wondering why & then it dawned on me as I had halved the recipe but not the stock 😥