Author Topic: Fresh cherry cake  (Read 6851 times)

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
Fresh cherry cake
« on: December 27, 2012, 04:02:28 am »
Fresh cherry cake
I had some cherries that were past their prime and needed to be used. Found this recipe and gave it a go. Mmmm Lovely and cakey inside with a very light crunch on top and just a touch of cinnamon. And of course all the yummy cherries. The cakes do lose their light crunch next day, but are still awfully good. Original recipe at bbcgoodfood.

Ingredients
• 140g self-raising flour
• ½ tsp ground cinnamon
• 50g golden caster sugar (I used 45g rapadura)
• 1 egg
• 65g milk
• 85g butter, melted (You could melt this in the tmx at the end of step 2 but I forgot)
• 350g juicy, ripe cherries (I only had half this but still good)
• icing sugar, for dusting
Topping
• 25g plain flour
• Ό tsp ground cinnamon
• 25g golden caster sugar (I used 20g rapadura)
• 25g butter, at room temperature, diced (I used diced butter straight from the fridge)

Method
1. Preheat the oven to fan 160C/ conventional 180C/gas 4. Grease and line the base of a 20cm round cake tin, about 5cm deep. (I used 6 small non-stick heart shaped tins instead)
2. Make the topping first. Put all topping ingredients in the tmx bowl and pulse a few times until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs that come together in little lumps. Set aside.
3. Put the flour, cinnamon, caster sugar, egg, milk and melted butter into tmx bowl. Mix on speed 5 for 10 seconds or until you have a thick, smooth mixture. Spoon mixture into the tins and spread evenly.
4. Remove the stalks and stones from the cherries. Scatter the cherries over the mixture and gently press them in.
5. Scatter the topping over the cherries.
6. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a skewer pushed into the centre comes out clean. Leave in the tin until cool enough to handle, then run a knife round the edge. Remove the cake from the tin and leave on a wire rack until completely cold. (20 minutes baking time for the small tins)
7. For a picnic, make the cake up to 24 hours ahead and return it to the clean tin when cold. Dust liberally with icing sugar, then wrap in cling film or foil.

Enjoy.

Pic coming...
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Fresh cherry cake
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 05:40:18 am »
I love cherries. They don't get time to even rest here. When they are at about $10/kg I usually buy quite a lot.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 05:59:07 am »
Thanks for this recipe.  Ihave been told that there is a glut of Cherries this year where we live. I am about to set some in Jekyll and will make this as well.

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 10:33:32 pm »
Thank you Djinni.

This recipe is a nice change to the German Cherry Cheesecake in the old spiral bound EDC, which is one of my favourite cherry recipes.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution