Author Topic: Buttermilk Bread - sticky dough  (Read 5547 times)

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
Buttermilk Bread - sticky dough
« on: August 22, 2011, 04:55:14 am »
I am a new TM owner and I have made buttermilk bread (from EDC) twice now in order to make use of the buttermilk leftover from making butter.

Both times the dough has been sticky and hard to work with and also to remove from TM jug. I added more flour this time to see if it would help but didn't make much of a difference unlesss I need to add a LOT more.

I've noticed people recommend Isi's bread instead which I will try this week but just wanted to know how to fix this recipe so the dough is easier to work with as well as the cleaning afterwards.

I love the crusty outside of the bread once done and the texture of the inside. I would like to continue to make this bread but the cleaning afterwards is not worth it.

Suggestions please.

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
Re: Buttermilk Bread - sticky dough
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 05:33:43 am »
I make Ezekiel or Bible bread (which is also very sticky) regularly and buttermilk bread sometimes.

With regard to cleaning the thermie bowl, I scrape out as much dough as I can then use turbo to fling leftover dough from under the blades to the sides of the bowl then scrape again. I then make pizza dough (for either pizza or scrolls) straight after to clean out the bowl. Works a treat as the pizza dough is a nice firm dough that grabs any residual sticky dough.  :) Hope this helps
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 06:12:18 am »
a hint faffa also gave me: before you give it a clean,  chuck in some more flour and give it abit of a whiz
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Online achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 08:39:54 am »
Tasty,  just checked the recipe in the EDC book,  and the proportions are way out to my thinking.  400g of fluid to 500g of flour doesn't seem right.   It is usually about 300 fluid to 500/ 520 flour.  Try Isi's recipe and just sub.  the water with Buttermilk,  or my No Fuss recipe.  Good luck and try again.

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
Re: Re: Buttermilk Bread - sticky dough
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 10:53:48 am »
I made this today and loved it.  I used the exact amounts in EDC. I turned jug upside down onto silicon mat then I popped blade to let it all fall out onto the mat. With lightly oiled hands carefully remove the blade then knead into ball, wrap into mat. Leave to double, shape, leave to double again then bake.  Mine felt a bit undercooked when I took it out of the tin so I popped it back into the oven minus the tin and gave it another 6 mins. 

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
Re: Re: Buttermilk Bread - sticky dough
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 10:54:52 am »
BTW forgot to say, I used store bought buttermilk ( Casa)  maybe this makes a difference!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 10:56:11 am »
Nice loaf GHM.  Whenever I see an uncut loaf of bread I want to cut into it ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 10:58:52 am »
thanks JD I made two loaves as I am away all next week for work.  Don't want DH to touch TMx while I am away!!! One loaf gone already!!