Author Topic: Good fat/oil v bad fat/oil  (Read 14490 times)

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
Re: Good fat/oil v bad fat/oil
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2013, 09:27:00 am »
Yes we also were using rice bran oil quite a lot until I read what Cindy wrote.  Olive oil for us now too ... 

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2013, 09:55:53 am »
I think it's the safest bet. I have rice bran oil to use up but don't think I will use it again. I'm going to use light olive oil for shallow frying, olive oil for the majority and EVOO for salad dressings. I'm thinking the only really high heat cooking I do is wok frying so perhaps peanut oil (?????????). We don't deep fry anything really. I still don't know what to use for mayonnaise/butter etc cause I'm still not keen on the OO taste in that sort of thing. Any hi heat baking (as inYorkshire puddings and things) I'm going to just use rendered duck fat. So, so, so confusing. Thank you all for helping me out.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2013, 03:17:46 pm »
Duck Fat is divine!! I recommend ghee for high fat frying.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2013, 10:06:00 am »
Thank you MJ. I was going to visit an Asian shop next week so will but some ghee when I'm there. Do you recommend that for wok frying?

Offline Deeau

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2013, 05:00:05 am »
Warning contains personal opinions!

This is a really interesting topic and even more interesting to read peoples views based on what they have read.
If I described the way I eat it would be primal/paleo I have done alot of reading on the subject and find that this way of eating allows me to keep me weight down effortlessly, have tons of energy and enjoy food, ( So without hijacking the thread I am a butter and olive oil cook ) We eat virtually no processed food, if I look back at my family 2 generations ago they ate fresh produce, meat dairy  and lots of fat ( compared to these days )  , cooked everything from scratch, most of my relatives  lived  to their 80's or 90's, very few of them were over weight and they didn't have heart or sugar problems, if I compare this to the generation above me...they are overweight, have high blood pressure, diabeties etc etc start there day with a pile of pills the doctors insists they take. They have mainly the same genetics but are nowhere as healthy, the only changes are lifestyle and food, so I have stopped reading/researching past my family history as popular opinion changes with every new lot of research, so I  try to eat as much as possible like my grandparents and their parents.
I would say the majority of the people on this Thermomix forum are here because they are trying to introduce more "unprocessed" foods into their diet so I think we are all doing better than the average consumer these days.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2013, 06:28:06 am »
Thank you MJ. I was going to visit an Asian shop next week so will but some ghee when I'm there. Do you recommend that for wok frying?

Brumington you can easily make your own Ghee. I am not sure how the price compares though. There is no need to refrigerate Ghee either and can be used in all cooking and deep frying  including wok frying.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline SoBlessed

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2013, 04:53:38 am »
I totally agree with you Deeau :)

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2013, 10:11:44 am »
Yep, I'm inclined to agree too.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2013, 05:24:36 am »
I agree too.

The less un processed and more natural the food the better.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url