Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4522196 times)

Offline Emme

• View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #11130 on: January 06, 2014, 08:49:30 pm »
Some beautiful things there CC, glad you got good service too  ;D

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #11131 on: January 07, 2014, 04:34:11 am »
Well, looks as though I'm on the lookout for a new washing line.  >:( DS jumped off the garden edging and swung off the arm.  Not quite the kind of shopping I prefer.
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

mcmich

« Reply #11132 on: January 07, 2014, 05:39:58 am »
Oh, I remember the kids doing that to my line too. I have an old fashioned Hills Hoist rotary line now and if we move, I will be digging it up and taking it with me.  ;D

Offline arcadia

• View Profile
« Reply #11133 on: January 07, 2014, 07:49:58 am »
Oh, I remember the kids doing that to my line too. I have an old fashioned Hills Hoist rotary line now and if we move, I will be digging it up and taking it with me.  ;D

Me too.  Mine fell over last year, rusted through at the bottom, so I put a big piece of rod in it and made a collar to go around it.  There was no way I was losing it.

We have thunder and lightning all around but no rain, hope it doesn't start a fire.

mcmich

« Reply #11134 on: January 07, 2014, 07:55:36 am »
There is just something about an original Hills Hoist that oozes Aussie.  ;D

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #11135 on: January 07, 2014, 08:20:02 am »
Ours is a Hills too, only about 5 years old. Some of the plastic has gone brittle though, and it's a plastic part that's broken. Can't beat the old ones, although we love being able to put the arms up and down and also remove the pole completely when entertaining (very small back yard).
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

mcmich

« Reply #11136 on: January 07, 2014, 08:24:45 am »
The newer ones are convenient Jo, just not quite as durable.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11137 on: January 07, 2014, 09:01:11 am »
I would rather read a book than hang out washing. Just like I would rather read a book than iron. A good dryer will allow you to read more books and never iron.

Life is short  and. I don't really care if my washing smells "FRESH OR MY SHEETS ARE CRISP" and I hate crisp towels. The greatest waste of time in my lifetime was hanging out washing.

A Frenchman by the name of Pochon first invented the dryer in1799. He is my hero. An iron is a waste of space in my opinion.

Gert

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Chocolatte

• View Profile
« Reply #11138 on: January 07, 2014, 09:15:17 am »
What brand of dryer do you have Gert? I hate ironing,  but I'm sure my dryer shrinks the clothes.

mcmich

« Reply #11139 on: January 07, 2014, 09:17:43 am »
I agree in part Gert. Hanging out washing, bringing it in, folding it up, is a waste of time.
Only being the two of us, the washing can be quite relaxing. I like seeing it gently blowing in the breeze. I love the smell of fresh washing. I feel lucky we have a climate where we are able to hang washing on the line and not have to put it in the dryer.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #11140 on: January 07, 2014, 09:27:57 am »
I came out one day to find the hills hoist in our old house had a terrible lean on it.  Turns out 3 of the grand children had been swinging on it.  It was never the same after that no matter how much we tried to fix it.

Fortunately we have a nice straight one in this place.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #11141 on: January 07, 2014, 09:51:17 am »
Swinging on a hills hoist brings back memories, I can remember doing it as a child, my kids did it, but they just aren't the same these days.
I'm with you Gert hate hanging out washing, ironing I might iron three things a year. I've been lucky since I hurt my shoulder last year DH has been hanging out the washing. I keep threatening to buy a cloth dryer, the last one shrank my cloths, well that's my story. Lol
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #11142 on: January 07, 2014, 11:44:01 am »
What brand of dryer do you have Gert? I hate ironing,  but I'm sure my dryer shrinks the clothes.

I have an ordinary everyday run of the mill Hoover dryer I have  had for nearly 20 years which I run on the one of two settings one of  which is hot and have never had one thing shrink. Before that I had a run of the mill Hoover dryer for 20 years which  I also ran on hot which never shrank any clothes. I can't remember the previous brand but it may have been a Maytag

I never have ironed  much and never will. If in the past my children needed something ironed I instructed them in the art of. My son is a non believer. My daughter does iron but minimally these days.

When the kids were little I dried their school clothes in the dryer taking them out while they were still damp,and hanging them on hangers. In all the school years I never ironed one school shirt. Blouse or dress.

My mother's life was all about hanging out washing and ironing everything . Not that she did it but delegated  it to me. Don't get me started about the absolute waste of time.

Let's talk about house work!!!

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #11143 on: January 07, 2014, 11:49:17 am »
Oh wait there was one short stage when I did have a  Hills hoist in the back yard but I tore it out of the ground and trashed it after finding the family sitting on their bums after I had done a 12 hour shift  with the clothes still on the line..

Gert

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #11144 on: January 07, 2014, 12:34:24 pm »
Gert, I once met a woman many years ago who was so obsessive she changed the whole families' sheets every day. Sheets, towels and everything else that wasn't nailed down were washed and ironed every single day.  You could literally eat off her floors.. Everything was immaculate - a landlord's dream! Unfortunately, she had two little ones at the time and they weren't even allowed to look sideways let alone make anything that even remotely resembled a mess - poor darlings!

I can't remember the last time I used an iron. My mother was an absolute whizz at ironing "difficult" items... But hers was obviously not a talent handed down to the next generation.... ;D

Over Christmas my kettle threw in the towel, so my very lovely DD replaced it for me with this ....

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 12:39:04 pm by goldfish »