Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4523113 times)

Mama Fergie

Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #4560 on: August 20, 2012, 09:27:55 am »
Is there such a club or just a figure of speech Gert? :-\

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: August 20, 2012, 09:30:36 am »
There may be such a club on Amazon but you can join the rest of us here.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: August 20, 2012, 09:59:08 am »
There are a few of us who are devoted ebook readers

Mama Fergie

« Reply #4563 on: August 20, 2012, 10:10:28 am »
Ok I get now ha ha ha I am laughing at myself!!!!! : ;)

Very happy to join all you gals  :D

jakodai

« Reply #4564 on: August 20, 2012, 10:48:30 am »
I love ebooks. I had an ebook reader a few years ago but I sold it when I got my iPad. I download my textbooks into my iPad as well, those things are >1000 pages and so much more pleasant on the iPad. Well, as pleasant as textbooks can be...

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: August 20, 2012, 11:08:40 am »
Stocked up on quality hair products online from strawberry net.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: August 20, 2012, 12:24:03 pm »
I love strawberry net
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

jakodai

« Reply #4567 on: August 20, 2012, 01:16:00 pm »
I hate that the retail price of a kitchen aid KSM150 in Australia is $749 but I can buy one from Amazon including postage for $350. It drives me insane when Australian retailers complain that they're struggling and we should support local business - but how can they justify doubling the price?

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: August 20, 2012, 01:26:17 pm »
I hate that the retail price of a kitchen aid KSM150 in Australia is $749 but I can buy one from Amazon including postage for $350. It drives me insane when Australian retailers complain that they're struggling and we should support local business - but how can they justify doubling the price?

Then all you would need is an adapter for AU$350?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: August 20, 2012, 01:35:10 pm »

Me too jakodai.  I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon now because as much as I want to support Aus industry I just can't afford to, the price difference is so large.

What annoys me even more is when you try and do the right thing and buy from the store and you can't get service or they don't have any stock.

Offline medusa

• View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: August 20, 2012, 01:45:51 pm »
You would need a step up (or down) transformer. I have looked at it before. Also not a worldwide warranty so if something went wrong you would have to ship it back to USA.
Medusa, in Oz

jakodai

« Reply #4571 on: August 20, 2012, 01:59:12 pm »
I know the current or whatever it is is more powerful here, so I'm sure there's something involved in getting it working other than just a plain adaptor, and for a purchase that large I don't think I would actually do it, I just checked out of curiosity. It's so frustrating.  I understand a markup - I don't necessarily agree with it, because the retail price should be close to the same globally, and you allow extra for shipping them to other countries. But the $350 price from Amazon included something like $70 shipping. It's absurd.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: August 20, 2012, 02:12:12 pm »
Luckily I purchased my kitchenaid a few years ago, and it was under $400 with a free ice cream attachment.
Shop around if your looking for a mixer....there are others around that will perform just the same, without the KA price  ;)
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #4573 on: August 20, 2012, 03:47:57 pm »
You would need a step up (or down) transformer. I have looked at it before. Also not a worldwide warranty so if something went wrong you would have to ship it back to USA.

You do need a step-down transformer and they are not that expensive as long as you are buying just one.

If the expense of shipping doesn't but the cost above the local that can work.  I know someone who moved to OZ a decade ago with all her kitchen appliances as well as a vacuum.  She had an electrician put a step-down transformer on one of the kitchen circuits so she could use all of her favorite appliances, including her KA mixer. 

However, a single step-down transformer that operates one or two lower wattage appliances at a time are not all that expensive. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: August 20, 2012, 11:56:33 pm »
However, a single step-down transformer that operates one or two lower wattage appliances at a time are not all that expensive.  

Here's the step down transformer you will need   http://performanceshop.com.au/500W-240V-to-120V-Stepdown-Voltage-Converter-8Zed_3160.html
Does the job as long as you don't mind an ugly box sitting beside your pretty mixer  :P
the only issue I've had with my mixer was a faulty circuit board, which was replaced and machine serviced for $114....you wouldn't bother with postage to U.S. for warranty issues.....would cost a bomb.....but you have to factor the shipping costs to get it here to begin with, and if it's worth it.

EDIT :  info from retailer
.......................................................................................

The size transformer you require will be determined by the power requirement of the Kitchenaid itself. In order to determine the most suitable Transformer for your application, you will need to check the specifications on your appliance as far as Watts/Amps, Voltage & Frequency (Hz). Then simply take the wattage figure and ensure that the transformer you select has a larger wattage capacity.

Please also note that these transformers do not convert Australian standard frequency of 50Hz to US standard of 60Hz, therefore if your Kitchenaid solely operates at 60Hz, we cannot guarantee that your appliance will run to its maximum capability.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 12:21:46 am by maddy »
.........EAT CAKE!