Author Topic: Egg crusted with Porcini.  (Read 15267 times)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Egg crusted with Porcini.
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2016, 09:14:06 am »
Perfect Lellyj 8)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2016, 11:24:50 am »
Congratulations Lellyj. That looks fab.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2016, 11:55:57 am »
It looks wonderful Lelly.  :)

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 07:18:33 am »
Thanks all for your lovely comments.  After my encouraging success with my trial run I went ahead with my plans to cook these for our dinner party.  I needed 12 eggs (10 to serve and 2 for emergency)--I'm not willing to reveal how many eggs I went through in order to end up with a perfect dozen!  BTW don't try and cram 10 eggs in your steaming basket all at once.  The eggs don't cook evenly (well...derrr!!! Silly me!) In the end I found if I cooked and chilled a batch, then I could peel that lot while the next lot were chilling.  It was interesting that even within the same egg carton, some eggs reacted differently to the steaming process. I actually found that slightly smaller eggs were easier to work with as some of the bigger eggs "flopped" and broke up when I was peeling them.  I peeled all the eggs and refrigerated them and then crumbed them and fried them just before serving.  Once you have the eggs cooked correctly, the rest is easy!  I served them atop of Duck Caesar Salad.  Now for the twist.  The dishes were served at what we like to call our "Gourmet Dinner Party".  We have a group of 5 couples who usually meet twice a year to have dinner together. One couple does cocktails and nibbles, one entrée, one main course, one dessert and the next couple--breakfast.  We have been meeting for more than 12 years!  When it is your turn to host the event, you get to pick the theme.  My crazy husband picked the theme--total darkness!!  You read that night, although drinks were served outside, and our entrée couple insisted on candlelight so that we could peel the prawns they served, main course and dessert were served in complete darkness!  My husband spent the day removing our bedroom furniture, setting up dining furniture in our bedroom (because it has really heavy curtains) and masking over the skylights etc so that our room could be made absolutely dark. He also replaced our ensuite lights with red globes and taped over peoples fitbits so they didn't emit any light!  Then he provided night vision goggles (ebay) for the servers.  The result was hilarious!!  I don't think we'll do it again, but it was definitely different as a one off!! 
I chose salad as a main course as I wanted something that was already cut up, easy to eat and with a lot of textures.  I wanted to do the egg as I was trying to think of something that would pop or squirt when people bit into it! I do think that some of the appeal was lost as you couldn't see the egg oozing when you bit or cut into it (most people chose to eat with their fingers), but the egg certainly provided a sensory element to the dish.  With regard to the recipe, I would encourage others to try it, once you have the eggs peeled, the rest is easy. Thanks so much, once again, Achookwoman  :D :D
I took a photo very hurriedly and it's a bit blurry, but I'll attach it anyway.  Also I have put in a pic of my silly husband and his night vision goggles!!
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 07:53:05 am »
And a great time was had by all!  Your DH certainly went to a lot of trouble removing all your bedroom furniture Lellyj.  I'm glad your course was successful. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2016, 09:07:45 am »
It sounds as though you had a fun time Lellyj. ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2016, 10:28:00 am »
Lelly, what fun. Glad the eggs were OK.  I agree with you that once steamed and shells removed the rest is easy.  I like your point about the smaller eggs. I also had a few floppy ones. These were the large home grown ones. I have to congratulate you for doing so many.
My rejects made lovely curried sandwiches.