Author Topic: 16 people  (Read 6953 times)

Offline kathleenm

• View Profile
16 people
« on: April 02, 2012, 03:46:30 am »
hey guys
i no its late notice but i need help i have to cook diner for 16 people on sunday and my mind is drawing a blank as to what to cook. theres 8 adults 4 kids and 3 under the age of 3.
.... HELP ...

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Re: 16 people
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 04:12:48 am »
 :)

for that many ppl i would do

a big tray of lasange
some veal involtini
a ice cream cheese cake

all can be made a few day b4hand
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 04:59:28 am »
 . .  Gert's pizza would also feed an army!!! . .serve it along with fundji's suggestions - and so easy to make - not sure of the link . . it was adapted from a Jamie Oliver recipe . . does anyone else know where it can be found?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 06:14:38 am by goldfish »

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 05:19:03 am »
I would look at Fundj's suggestion.  She's got a good idea for cooking for lots of people.

If you wanted to get away from the Italian influence, a couple of Indian dishes could work as well, papadams, raitas, etc.  but perhaps that would be OK for the adults, but may be too spicy for the youngsters.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline kathleenm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 05:49:18 am »
i love the icecream cake idea :P but lasange is somthing we all ways do  :-\

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 05:54:37 am »
When in my home town I used to regularly cook for my family 20 to 25 people who like plain food. So I would have things like a bit pot of pumpkin soup, a very flavoursome casserole (triple the amount) or roast chickens with a potato bake and salads. Other ideas were sphagetti, chicken soup or a curry. Always served with bread sticks or buns. Brushetta was always popular, or bread sticks sliced and topped with a variety of toppings.

I could premake most of the food and serve in large slow cookers to keep hot. Or if I ran out of slow cookers, I had a portable hot plate I would keep large bowls of soup hot.

The desserts were premade usually served in a small cup. I had 50 fine cappauchino cups that I used for hot or cold deserts and soups.
Chocolate mousse was the all time favourite and could be made the day before and cream, choc etc added in the morning.

That's just some of the ideas, don't stress, look at what will be easier for you on the day.  :) You want to be relaxed and enjoy the company.
Preset where you will be eating and don't forget Easter eggs!
And I just remembered the free mag from Coles was lovely this month  - I don't eaten gluten or added sugars, but I read it and wished I did! it might be worth having a look at.

mcmich

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 06:47:51 am »
A leg of lamb is an easy meal. You can slow cook on the bbq or in the oven. If you have a large oval slow cooker it could always be done in that too. Some easy do ahead sides are zucchini slice and potato bake. Have a wonderful day.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 07:09:46 am »
Deserts could be chocolate moose, or chocolate ice cream cake, Little lemon puddings,
Fruit sorbet is fast.

I like the idea of soup, with Isis bread rolls.

Do you want ideas for finger food too.
Robyn

My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 09:09:06 am »
Dips
Bread sticks
Roast lamb or chickens
Squashed potatoes.  Steamed and then flattened, sprayed with oil, P and S and stuck in oven for 10 mins. or pot bake
Salads.

Lots of sweets.
Isi's Coffee cream
Chocolate pud, cold
Trifle with Easter eggs
Cake

Except the roast everything can be done prior.
have a great day.
We are only having 10.

Offline Tan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 09:20:06 am »
hi Kathleen,

i am in a similar situation
i have 7 extra bodies staying all easter weekend ( coming Thursady and going on monday or Tuesday)
One lunch and another dinner i could have up to 16 -.

trying to get organised in advance so i dont spend all of my time in the kitchen  !!!  Although i love it - i am hoping to relax at some stage over the weekend. ( With a glass of wine in Hand !!!!!)
 i will do fish on friday - maybe a BBQ one night, roast on another night and maybe Lasagna etc another night.

have already done a heap of ice, and lots of frozen berries on hand for Fruity dream.
Will do a pavlova one night, and really want to try some desserts out of For Foods Sake if i get time,  oh and also need to make hot cross buns !!!

Tan

Tan

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 10:26:24 am »
. .  Gert's pizza would also feed an army!!! . .serve it along with fundji's suggestions - and so easy to make - not sure of the link . . it was adapted from a Jamie Oliver recipe . . does anyone else know where it can be found?

Here's the thread that has the link to Jamie Oliver's pizza dough.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 10:38:21 am »
An Indian feast is always good - gives you options as to chicken, lamb, beef, veg.
Or Mexican is another idea - nachos, tacos, potato skins, refried beans, enchiladas, burritos... Yum!
Kerryn

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 03:14:01 am »
I agree with the Indian feast idea, it's so easy to have all the curries already made, cook ups some rice and if you really want to show off make some naan!  A double quantity of two or three curries or maybe some dahl, pickles chutney yogurt.  Fruit sorbets for desert . . . done!!  Uni's Italian idea would also be good for cooking ahead.

Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 07:31:57 am »
Indian Feast would be my choice too. Easy, make ahead and reasonably inexpensive as you can make a lot of vegetable and lentil or chick pea curries as well.
Lots of raita, pickles and some Indian flat bread to go with it.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline kathleenm

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 08:00:31 am »
thanks for the suggestions everyone. im thinking bout chicken and cashews with coconut satay and rice followed by butter scotch self sauceing pudding.