Author Topic: Full Steam Ahead cookbook  (Read 26298 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Full Steam Ahead cookbook
« on: March 15, 2009, 02:02:21 am »
Has anyone cooked anything from this book please.  Browsing the cookbook, it is sooo unlike the Australian way of cooking, more European obviously but if there is something in there worth trying, I'm willing to give it a go if others have tried and liked it.

I am referring more to main meals, some of the desserts look pretty good and worth a try.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 02:24:25 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline baf65

• View Profile
Re: Full Steam Ahead cookbook
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 03:46:26 am »
personally i havent as yet made anything from it, i agree some of the recipes are a bit strange!
but I believe that the steamed canneloni is actually very nice

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 08:19:51 am »
The steamed bread is good. Sliced up and toasted it is like crumpets.
Sheree
Tupperware and Thermomix Consultant.
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 08:36:52 am »
I have done the steamed bread (sultana version) posted on the forum and was chuffed with that.  Wasn't sure if I would like it as normal bread though but seeing as it tastes like crumpets, I will certainly give it a go. It's all in the toasting isn't it with this steamed bread.

Made a note too about the cannelloni - thanks for that. Keep the suggestions coming.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 08:23:09 pm »
I have a cooking course here in Spain this week at Vorwerk ;), on Thursday and the title of the course is literally translated as Full Steam so I guess its to demonstrate some of the recipes from this book. Will let you all know, my learnings. As the last cooking course I did was fantastic too. Spelt bread with jamon serrano and cheese or a chocolate one. When I get a chance will put the recipes on.
Will keep you posted as the steaming is definitely the way forward!
Amanda

Spain

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 09:06:53 am »
Has anyone cooked anything from this book please.  Browsing the cookbook, it is sooo unlike the Australian way of cooking, more European obviously but if there is something in there worth trying, I'm willing to give it a go if others have tried and liked it.

I am referring more to main meals, some of the desserts look pretty good and worth a try.

Hi jd - I found a copy of A Todo Vapor (the Spanish Full Steam Ahead), and even though I don't hablo espanol - the recipes do look a bit strange for us aussies.  The book has the same recipes in its different forms A Tutto Vapore in Italian etc. and

Somebody (riv_mum - check the posting http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=584.0)  posted recipes from a couple of aussie books.  I already had Steam It - link http://www.murdochbooks.com.au/steamit.htm  a little Murdoch book and it has loads of recipes that can be converted.

I have made a few recipes from the book, although it appears that I have not posted them anywhere ???  The sugar cane prawns http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/2008/11/thermomix-sugar-cane-prawns-in-varoma.html are from SteamIt -just haven't put the direction in !!!!!

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 07:04:23 pm »
They are very German recipes, I think.  At least, I know some of them are.  They look a bit odd to me too.  So far the only one I've tried is P 86 - the Pike Perch fillet with feta-lemon sauce.  I just used whatever white fish I had to hand, and it was DELICIOUS.  It scored 5 stars with DH and myself.  Even DD quite liked it, although the sauce is a bit strong flavoured for her really.  I make this fairly regularly now.  I haven't so far bothered with the salad basket business, but have steamed veg along with it.  I probably will give them a go once cucumbers are back in season later in the summer.

I plan to try the chocolate yeast dumplings with cherry sauce on p 180 at some point, as these seem to be a variation on Dampfnudeln with Rotegruetze - yum, yum, yum.  Just that they've added chocolate.  Although most people love German food, most of it was a bit too heavy for me - but I LOVE dampfnudel, rotegruetze and custard.  And now that I've read the comments on the bread I'll give that a go.  I'd avoided it as I couldn't imagine it was a particularly nice texture - hadn't thought of toasting it!

I think that part of the reason the recipes seem so strange is also their names, which are pretty unimaginative translations from the German.  I also find the book a bit inaccessible somehow - but don't really know why or how  ???  Basically, I just need to get my act together and try some more recipes from it, given that the only one I've tried was excellent  ;D
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 04:02:04 am »
The choc yeast dumplings are GOOD! Have done these a couple of times. I havent make the cherry sauce to go with them though.
If you serve them straight away, before they dry out they are great on their own or just serve with custard.
Sheree
Tupperware and Thermomix Consultant.
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 04:14:34 am »
Thanks Riv Mum, nice to see you trying something different.  I made a little note in the book to do this one in the future.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 12:21:14 am »

I think that part of the reason the recipes seem so strange is also their names, which are pretty unimaginative translations from the German.  I also find the book a bit inaccessible somehow - but don't really know why or how  ???  Basically, I just need to get my act together and try some more recipes from it, given that the only one I've tried was excellent  ;D

Think that they do sound and look strangely unappetising - probably even to the Germans.  Still, they can be used as a basis for good ideas.

Come on Caroline - get your act together  ;) ;) ;) ;) :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 07:56:47 pm »
Salmon with salmon mousse stuffing and mango sauce is wonderful and very quick and easy to make; I have made it twice this month -first to test and secondly for a dinner party where everyone loved it.
I have also made the Tuna Hulva style which was very good.
I think the Varoma book is quite a "coffee table" style book but the two things I made were much simpler than they looked in the picture.

Shayla in Cape Town

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 02:19:09 am »
Like many of you I haven't made anything from this book.  Now after reading Shayla's comments I think I will have another look and try something!!!!!

Trudy

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 04:20:21 am »
The lentil moussaka is absolutely delicious & very easy to do & copious.....

I have also made the salmon with the mango sauce & my sauce turned out like the pictures so don't know what happened with the other post??

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 12:51:07 am »
This made me go and look at the book again as I haven't used it at all  - apart from having a look at the veg stock recipe.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 12:56:56 am »
It will be interesting to see how to see the recipes this time around GF.