Author Topic: Diabetic Friendly Crumbly Apricot and Apple Dessert Slice  (Read 5865 times)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Diabetic Friendly Crumbly Apricot and Apple Dessert Slice
« on: March 16, 2013, 11:33:16 am »
Crumbly Apricot and Apple Dessert Slice
Converted from the Diabetes Cookbook. The recipe actually calls them bars rather than a slice, but I've made it several times now and find it way to crumbly to eat with fingers. Much better in a bowl with icecream or custard ;) Not too much for a diabetic though!

Ingredients:
180g dried apricots
2 Granny Smiths, peeled, cored and chopped (I cut my apple into quarters, and then sliced widthways)
150ml apple juice
Zest of 1 orange, grated (can do in TMX before starting recipe)
250g reduced-fat margarine (or other butter alternative), softened
75g brown sugar
180g plain wholemeal flour (or white if you prefer)
1 tsp baking powder
200g rolled oats
60g chopped nuts, optional (I used macadamias and chop by hand)

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease and line a slice pan.
2. Put apricots, apples, juice and zest into TMX bowl. Cook for 10 minutes/80 degrees/reverse + speed 1.
3. Holding a teatowel over the MC, gradually turn dial to speed 8 and puree for 10-20 seconds. Set aside to cool.
4. Without washing TMX bowl, beat margarine and sugar for 10 seconds/speed 4. (Make sure you have turned the reverse function off!) Scrape sides of bowl and beat for a further 10 seconds/speed 4, or until light and fluffy.
5. Add flour, baking powder, oats and nuts to bowl. Briefly incorporate using spatula and then knead for 1 minute/reverse + interval speed.
6. Press about 2/3 of the mixture into base of prepared pan. Spread apricot and apple puree over the top. Break remaining mixture into little pieces and sprinkle over the top to give a "crumbly" look.
7. Bake for 30-40 minutes. Cut into pieces while still warm and leave in pan to cool completely (unless you're serving it hot with ice cream or something else delicious like that ;D).

I leave my slice in the pan and keep it covered in plastic wrap in the fridge. When I want to serve it, I just put a piece in a bowl, zap it in the microwave and then add the extras ;)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Diabetic Friendly Crumbly Apricot and Apple Dessert Slice
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 11:46:32 am »
Amy,  this looks very nice. 

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 11:49:14 am »
Thanks Chookie :D

Offline kt2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 08:35:27 am »
This looks great Amy, thanks for sharing! It's on my list  ;D ;D
Katie, Perth WA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 10:46:59 pm »
Thanks Katie! We love this one, I should have converted the recipe ages ago. Enjoy ;D ;D