Author Topic: HP Sauce  (Read 19379 times)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: HP Sauce
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 09:03:38 am »
I was not able to make this one myself because there are a few things in the one from judy that i can not use myself. I do know that prunes (or plumbs) are in the original hp sauce, as is tamarind paste.

Stef just looked at my HP bottle and this is the list of ingredients:
Tomatoes,Malt Vinegar (from Barley),Molases,Glucose-Fructose /Syrup,Spirit Vinegar,Sugar,Dates,Modified Cornflour,Rye Flour,Salt,Spices,Flavourings,Tamarind. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline stef

• my favorite monkey in antwerp zoo
    • View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 10:57:08 am »
o my, i dont have the bottle in the house obvioulsy, and i must admitt i am surprised, since i got the prune and apple ingredient checked with my brittish friend.. he must have been full of sh*t telling me i was right with the prunes...

lol anyway.. i will try it with tomatoes instead of apple and prune next time and adjust the sweet and sourness, replacing the hot sauce with my own habanero sauce recipe and my own spices...   at least the pple who tasted my recipe SAID it almost tastes like the orriginal :) it certainly has the consistency and smell to me.. thnx "cornish"
Live life to the fullest

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 01:44:49 pm »
Am sort of back again on and off and hope you are all keeping well.  An update re HP Sauce.  I made both this one and Stef's recipe.  Both were very good but this one IMHO is the nearest to the commercial version - all I would do is reduce the amount of allspice slightly.  Stef, your recipe to me an excellent BBQ sauce and we use it for marinades etc.

Am now in the middle of making a version of Tomato Ketchup and will let you know how it turns out.  :)
Rosemary from Bournemouth formerly Gloucestershire

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 06:40:41 pm »
JB how are you ? i hope your back is better  :-*
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 06:54:52 pm »
Thanks for asking Uni.  It is getting better slowly but surely.  The only thing I really cannot do is stand still for too long, ie in shop queues or when prepping food.  Luckily DH helps out with stuff like peeling potatoes, onions etc and just chop them etc. 

Hope you are well.  I see you have changed your profile pic and name  :)

JB
Rosemary from Bournemouth formerly Gloucestershire

Offline stef

• my favorite monkey in antwerp zoo
    • View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2016, 08:52:39 pm »
Am sort of back again on and off and hope you are all keeping well.  An update re HP Sauce.  I made both this one and Stef's recipe.  Both were very good but this one IMHO is the nearest to the commercial version - all I would do is reduce the amount of allspice slightly.  Stef, your recipe to me an excellent BBQ sauce and we use it for marinades etc.

Am now in the middle of making a version of Tomato Ketchup and will let you know how it turns out.  :)

i have been a bad forum member and not been online for long, due to personal things...   and i admit i forgot about this recipe... need to make it .

hope all of you are well

Stef
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 12:13:13 am by judydawn »
Live life to the fullest