Author Topic: Thinking of getting a second job  (Read 32099 times)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Thinking of getting a second job
« on: April 27, 2012, 08:57:33 am »
I'm seriously considering taking a second job. As you may know I work from home as a picture framer which is great but I will never retire on what I bring in. So I'm considering taking a second job doing shift work on a weekend, probably only one shift a week (maybe two)
I just don't know if I should or not.
There is a position coming up at a place I used to work for several years ago in group homes working with adults with intellectual disabilities.
What do ya think?
I don't know. ?
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
Re: Thinking of getting a second job
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 09:23:05 am »
Dede what does your family think? Would they be supportive? Could this make a positive difference to your lifestyle now and in terms of the future? Would it be damaging to your family?

I started work two shifts a week when my children were very small. Nursing shifts, any shifts over any days. I gradually built up to 8+ a fortnight. I only went back to work when my mother found out we usually had $30 a month left over to live on. One bad month it was $7. She said  no way would she stay home and starve. She and my MIL looked after the children through the week and DH on weekends.

On reflection, it was the absolute best thing I could have done. The children and their father have a great relationship (I do as well!). They learnt to cook early, help around the house, be thoughtful,  and from 14yrs old looked after their washing and ironing. We actually became comfortable finacially and could afford to holiday etc. My working took pressure of us financially and also I enjoyed the work. I didn't go full time to my children left home.

Lots of things to think through before you decide. Make sure you wouldn't be taking on too much. Good luck with whatever you decide Dede  ;D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 12:02:04 am by judydawn »

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 09:31:31 am »
Thanks ElleG,
With a big family the income we are on is stretched to the limit most weeks and I think just a little extra $$ would be very handy.
The only problem is I would only be able to work weekends when DH is about to look after the little ones. The shift that would suit me best would be either 7am -12pm or 3pm- to 11pm but followed by a sleep over until 7am.
I just spoke to DH who isn't too keen on the idea but said he will think it over.
It's a big decision to make, but I think sometimes in life we need to make some sacrifices. And I am qualified to work in this field.
 If I was going to apply for this position I would need to have my application in by the end of next week.

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 09:34:14 am »
Dede I think it is great! I would go for it. 

I work 3 days a week and find that is a great balance for our family.  I would start with one shift a week and then work out how to organize the family around that.  If it's going great then add the second shift.  I'm sure the extra money will be so useful but it's also nice to get out of the house sometimes and talk to people that you wouldn't normally.

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 09:37:44 am »
I can also do shift work and love the 3-11pm shift.  It gives you a chance to go to kids activities, have a nice big family lunch and then go to work.  DH and the kids can then have leftovers for dinner to make it easier on him.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 09:42:21 am »
I really don't think it would be that much of an impact on us too much. Usually weekends are pretty quiet anyway. I do my housework and framing etc during the week. And Sunday mornings I take the kids to do their paper run, Sunday morning I do cooking (but can do that Saturday as well)
I'm putting thought into what impact it will or won't make.
Guess I should do a list of pros and cons.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 09:47:39 am »
Good luck with whatever you decide Mandi.  A second income would make life so much easier for you and as the kids have had to pull their weight recently with your leg being in plaster, they should now be used to having to do extra chores.  Strike whilst the iron is hot  ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

mcmich

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 09:55:17 am »
I am an RN and found weekend work a real help when my children were young -
having said that I missed out on sport events etc. I don't think my children are any worse off because one of us
was always there. It doesn't matter what you decide dede - there is always mother guilt.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 10:04:47 am »
Oh there for a while I forgot about my leg problems. I still need to have the second leg done. Although I am hoping for a walking boot which shouldn't impact on work too much (I hope)
Well I would really like to go back to work (even if only once a week )
Just have to convince DH that I can do it without to much impact on the family. And I do really think it would be good for him to spend more time with the kids. The older 3 don't need looking after so much, just the 2 youngest.

mcmich

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 10:11:53 am »
Looks like you have come up with the answer dede. You want at least one days work, DH to have the time with the kids.
Little impact on family life.
Do you have a job in mind that fills this criteria?

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 10:14:44 am »
Dede, also meant to say this would be your third job! Not second. And also even though I enjoyed work I was chronically tired for years..
And I only had 2 kids.
Good luck! I just read you response, we were writing at the same time. It was the $$ that spoke to us. Loud and clear.
Yes some times we have to work when we really don't want to. At least it is in your field and the companionship of your workmates is usually enjoyable.

mcmich

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 10:17:12 am »
Another thing to keep in mind and was very attractive to me...at least you get a meal break when you do paid work.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 10:17:18 am »
I do Michelle. But I have to get the job first. I'm hoping I would have a good chance as I have lots of years experience, and they are employing several people for casual positions.
I rang them today and had a Talk to HR and she said there is plenty of work available.
 My application letter will state that I'm only available weekends (that might be a down fall?)
Gee I better blow the dust off my resume and update it. Been awhile since I have applied for a job :)

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 10:20:00 am »
ElleG I guess your right being 3rd job, Mother first, Picture Framer second and RSO (Residential Support Officer) third. (if I get the job) ;)

mcmich

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 10:27:22 am »
Dede, with your experience you will have no problems securing a position. There are a lot of carers that have been there, done that and don't want weekends. Well at least in NSW. Enthusiasm, willingness and a love for what you do are paramount in your industry.