Author Topic: Blanching Almonds  (Read 11432 times)

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
Blanching Almonds
« on: April 24, 2012, 01:36:55 pm »
I need some blanched almonds for a recipe and I want to see if the Thermomix can do the whole process.

I have heard that there is a tip in the 'Fast and Easy' cookbook. Does anybody care to share?

I don't just want the boiling but also if it can peel them too. Am I asking too much?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Blanching Almonds
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 01:45:57 pm »
Yes unfortunately you are Tasty.  The instructions in Fast & Easy say to pre-soak almonds in their skins for 2-6 hours then steam in the Varoma 10-15 minutes.  Pop them out of their skins and leave to cool. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 08:01:29 pm »
I've tried blanching almonds, although not using Judy's method, which sounds to be a huge improvement over the method I used.  When I tried it the skin came off cleanly only on approx. 10% of the almonds, the rest were really fiddly and hard work, however my almonds had only been soaking about 10 minutes so I assume that is why I had such a battle.  I am sure Judy's suggestion would give a far better result than my attempt ... ever since then I have simply gone out and bought them ready blanched!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 11:06:47 pm »
This is what I do, it's so quick and easy.  I thought I found this method of the forum but if Judy didn't find it, maybe I got it from somewhere else.  Anyway it works.  :D

BLANCHING ALMONDS
Place nuts in the TM bowl, cover with water and heat for 4-5 mins/V temp/Reverse + speed 1.
(5 mins if you keep your nuts in the freezer like me.).

Drain through a sieve and spread out on a tray.
Push off the skins between thumb and finger into a bowl.  Once all done, tip onto kitchen paper and allow to dry.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 03:07:52 am »
That sounds much quicker Julie.  I didn't look for it, I just gave Tasty the information she asked for from Fast & Easy.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 03:14:49 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 03:11:16 am »
Julie, I am pretty sure that is the method I used (I think Faffa gave it to me originally).  It didn't work well for me but perhaps my almonds were too old.

Bonsai

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 03:21:59 am »
a lot of the time I don't bother to blanch almonds - I used to (burnt fingers as the skins only come off when the almond is taken out of really hot water and not left to cool). Most of the time I am using them to grind almond meal and the colour and outcome is not a lot different skins on or off.

Of course if you want them for decoration it's a different and fiddly matter.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 03:51:58 am »
Is there a nutritional difference between skins on and skins off?

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 04:22:09 am »
Julie, I am pretty sure that is the method I used (I think Faffa gave it to me originally).  It didn't work well for me but perhaps my almonds were too old.

I've used this way a few times now and it's always worked well for me.  I do use almonds taken immediately from the freezer (as that's where I keep all my nuts) so whether that makes a difference I'm not sure.  :)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 04:35:25 am »
Yep it is on here somewhere as I put it there lol when someone asked before. It works really well for myself as well though I only use it when it will make a difference to the colour of what I am making. Otherwise I use them skins on to make the meal  :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 06:25:36 am »
I use faffa'sethod and it always works for me. Like everyone else I only blanch almonds if it specially says, otherwise its skin and all.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 12:28:45 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. I usually just give them a quick boil on the stove. Strain through sieve then pop out which is a quick process.

However I did try JulieO's method and extended the time a bit. Drained the water and then put on  :-: + Speed 4 for a few seconds and they did come out of their skins, but not all. I think it can be done but I have to work out the best way to do it. I put it for a bit longer and some got a few indents but not too bad overall. Filled with water and scooped out skins, like the way you peel garlic in TMX.