Author Topic: New life for the breadmaker...  (Read 11516 times)

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
New life for the breadmaker...
« on: October 31, 2011, 10:53:41 pm »
I have kept my breadmaker (which I loved pre-thermie) but now don't use it much :(. But I think I have a new use for it. :)

Yesterday was a busy cooking day. I was making rock cakes, blueberry muffins, bread rolls, bible bread and 2 batches of pizzas for dinner (hoping for some leftovers for school lunches) so both my ovens were busy. I also had some wheat that needed using so I thought I'd make the EDC basic bread and bake it in the breadmaker (is there a light bulb moment face?).

I was pleasantly surprised with the result. All pronounced it yummy except DH who stubbornly refuses to eat anything other than commercial white bread  :-)) This seems a quick and easy option for cold start breads (also cheaper and cooler than the oven) so I think I'll keep experimenting.

I really don't know why this hadn't occurred to me before :-\
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: New life for the breadmaker...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 11:04:06 pm »
Hi did you just thdow it all in and start it up.

My breadmaker is touch and go, sometimes it makes great bread and other ties it diesnt mix properly, siting in my cupboard for over 1 year not being used.

Hally >:(
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 11:28:57 pm »
Hi Hally

Yes that is pretty much what I did.

I followed EDC instructions up to the rise in the Silpat mat. After that first rise, shaped into a loaf, then straight into the breadmaker for the cold start. (I took out the kneading blade.) Bread makers differ but I think most have a heat function. Mine has a Cooking Only program so that is what I used.

I was in the kitchen so I checked the color of the crust though the glass in the lid occasionally, but it took the whole cycle to bake (not sure how long that was) :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 03:21:15 am »
Clever. ;) ;)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 05:41:24 am »
yes Cookie I agree,very clever will have to give it a go.
thanks for opting djinni.
Denise

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 06:03:12 am »
djinni373,  what a great idea.  Love the bit about removing the blade.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 09:04:21 am »
Oh I think I love you djinni371. I have terrible trouble making bread because my oven burns everything at high temperatures. My bread maker is sitting doing nothing. Must check to see if it has a cook only function. Love the idea of removing the blade to save a hole in the bottom of the bread. I'm going to check my bread maker now. Thank you.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 09:07:13 am »
Yes yes yes. It has a bake only function. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow?
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 09:45:35 am »
I'm so pleased for you Mandi - bread now on the menu  ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 10:43:39 am »
Brilliant idea djinni373 and your bread looks good :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 04:42:43 am »
Thankyou, Yvette and Judy.   This is quite exciting with Summer coming ,  and not wanting to heat up the kitchen.  Following Djinni 373 advice I got the Bread maker out of the Shed and had a fiddle.  Made No Fuss recipe,  let it rise in TMX bowl until double ,  then formed it into an oval shape,  sprayed with water and topped with sesame seeds. set machine on Bake for 1 hour ,  and produced a perfect loaf.  

I took the paddle out,( hate that shape it puts in the bottom of a loaf)
Cut a silicon liner to fit ,  with a small hole in the bottom to fit over the shaft.
Used Laucke flour, half wholemeal and half white.

Djinni 373,  i cannot thank you enough.  Excellent loaf in 90 mins.  
I strongly suggest other try this.  My machine is a Panasonic SD- 206.  It is about 15 years old.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 04:49:18 am by achookwoman »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 05:40:09 am »
Too late for a lot of us Chookie, so many of us have got rid of our bread makers  :(
Great idea of djinni's though for those who have kept them.  If I had kept the bread maker I would certainly have used this method during the summer months.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 05:55:23 am »
Yes Judy I know that this is the case,  but you can cook your bread in the Weber outside.  I had 2 Bread Machines and I gave one away and kept this one.  Could you give us some instructions about cooking in the Weber?
Too late for a lot of us Chookie, so many of us have got rid of our bread makers  :(
Great idea of djinni's though for those who have kept them.  If I had kept the bread maker I would certainly have used this method during the summer months.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 07:05:07 am »
I heat the weber on high, pop the bread or rolls in then turn it down to low - it is still very hot on low, well mine is anyway. You have to keep an eye on it though as they do end up darker than an oven baked loaf and you may need to cover the top to prevent this.  I use the weber during summer and on the odd occasion when I have been without an oven.  Making bread inside is not an option for me during the really hot weather so I find it useful.

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 07:05:44 am »
O my gosh! I nearly didn’t post this because I thought many of you would already know about it. I posted because I was totally shocked at how well the loaf turned out (I was expecting a loaf that was a cross between a brick and a door stop  :D) I also hoped to get more ideas from other (very clever) forum members.  ;D

Before thermie and cyclone Yasi, I used to bake a quick mix banana bread in the breadmaker. I got the idea from here where it also suggests taking out the paddle (or kneading blade). So I must pass the credit on as the idea was not originally mine.

Mandi & Denise (Bedlam),  I hope your bread worked out and look forward to hearing about your experiences
Denise (CC), thank you you are a gem :)
Chookie you are the brilliant one. I have only done the basic bread so far but I'm going to do the no fuss next. Thank you  :-*