Author Topic: Another Butter question  (Read 3132 times)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Another Butter question
« on: January 14, 2011, 11:07:46 am »
Hi all,
 I have read all the posts here on butter making and just wanted to ask a question. I have just brought 10 litres of cream ready to make butter but didn't realize till I got home that it is thickened cream and not unthickened cream like I wanted. Anyway I have read that I can still make butter with thickened cream. But as thickened cream has gelatin and other things in it can I still use the butter milk as usual? As its Friday I cannot take the cream back and swap it until Monday and I'm not sure if the place I got it from would take it back after 3 days.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline whisks

• View Profile
Re: Another Butter question
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 11:20:47 am »
i've made it with thickened cream once, and it was fine. why don't you give it a go with one batch and see how you like it?
you could use some of the cream to make creme anglaise to freeze and make ice cream too. don't even try pouring cream into the tm with ice to make ice cream - it will give you something frozen and waxy! (bits of butter through the mix)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 11:27:01 am »
I mostly use thickened cream in my buttermaking dede and yes, I save the buttermilk (if I remember) for other recipes.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 11:32:43 am »
Thanks guys. I will give it go. I intend to freeze the butter milk and use it as I need. Next time I will make sure I grab the unthickened cream as its pure cream with no extras added. I was in a hurry today and the shop was about to close and the rain was pelting down and I just wasn't thinking. Im so glad I can still use it.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 02:48:31 pm »
dede in france the thx recipe is actually creme fraiche but has to be 35% fat or higher and i tried it the other day finally and it was delish so I dont know what creams are like in oz..here creams are alot more natural generally due to the culture of buying fresh and making fresh pretty much daily..anyway i dont see why it wouldnt work anyway with thinner or thicker creams!  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/