Author Topic: Anti Cancer Diet/Foods/Recipes  (Read 30140 times)

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
Re: Anti Cancer Diet/Foods/Recipes
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 10:23:31 pm »
This is the book in Gerts post

This is a most interesting book for everyone to read, whether on a diet, wanting to be healthy or for teaching the young.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0141048689/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 11:25:13 pm »
My Dh loves baked beans as I do but the canned ones leave a lot to desire. As. I am running away from home for a few days I thought. I would make this recipe from Caroline to keep him going so to speak while I am in Adelaide. While getting out all the ingredients I realised that this old forum recipe would fit well in this thread as beans are high on the list of anti cancer foods.

Perhaps if we find other recipes in the various threads we might copy them here for a quick look see. Be handy.

Of course I will add a chilli or two to this recipe.

Gert

From Caroline ......

Name of Recipe:  Baked Beans
Number of People:
Ingredients:
Haricot Beans/ pinto beans / black eye Beans
A small potato, peeled and halved
2 cherry tomatoes
3 cloves of garlic, skins on
2 bay leaves
A stalk of rosemary and some stalks of thyme

Preparation:
1.  Put beans to soak overnight / while at work (8-12 hours).  Drain and rinse
2.  Add all ingredients to pot with water to cover.  Bring to boil and cook for 45 mins (or until tender).  Alternatively, cook in slow cooker for 2-3 hours on hight, or all day on low.
3.  Drain, reserving liquid.  Remove all the other ingredients, just leaving the beans.
4.  Squish the tomatoes out of their skins into the TM bowl, and the same with the garlic cloves.  Add the potato and cooking liquid. Blitz at Speed 5 / 15 seconds.
5.  Add the beans and stir through gently on reverse.  I also added salt and pepper, and tomato puree.  If you aren't happy with consistency,  90oC /  /   / 10 minutes or so until it thickens.

I got the recipe from http://www.handbag.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=446529, who in turn got it from the 'new Jamie cookbook' (presumably Jamie Oliver).

I haven't put quantities to beans a) because none were given in the original recipe and b) 'cos I just slapped them in according to what looked right for the max quantity I could do in TM without overtaxing it.  And then thought I should probably double the other ingredients, which I did.  Perhaps it would usually be 400 - 800 g of soaked beans?  And then thought the sauce wasn't tomatoey enough for my taste, so added puree    (I'm very scientific in my approach)

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 07:58:48 am »
That's a good idea Gert. We like Quirky Jo's Baked Beans. Not sure if they are good but have lots of beans in them.
http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=4704.0
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 08:20:37 am »
Here is another goodie. One of thermomixers.

Name of Recipe: Spinach and chickpeas, Seville style

Number of People: 4 - 8

Ingredients:

2/3 cup dried chickpeas
500 g spinach leaves
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 medium red onion, peeled
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 thin slice sour dough bread, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Spanish sweet paprika
salt to taste

Preparation:

Place chickpeas in TM basket and insert into TM bowl. Add 1200ml water and place lid on. Place Varoma on top. Cook chickpeas for at least 1 hour at 100°C on speed 1. While the chickpeas are cooking place the spinach in the Varoma and steam for 3 minutes. Remove and refresh in cold water, drain well and squeeze dry.

Once the chickpeas are cooked, remove basket and drain. Empty the water from TM bowl (but don’t bother washing) and place garlic and onion in bowl. Chop for 15 seconds on speed 7, (I prefer to scrape down contents after each 5 seconds). Add oil and spices (except paprika) and cook for 5 minutes at 100°C on speed 1. Add bread and cook for 3 minutes at 100°C on speed 1. Add vinegar and paprika and blend for 20 seconds at speed 5.

Add chickpeas and spinach to bowl and set for 3 minutes at 100°C on reverse speed soft. Add some water if the mixture appears to be too thick. Check and add salt to taste. Transfer to a serving plate. Serve hot or at room temperature.

Photos:

Tips/Hints:

You can shorten the process by using canned chickpeas.

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 08:28:55 am »
Here is a good one of yours cookie. Be useful in a pie too.

Tandoori Vegetable Pasties:
Number of People 6:
Ingredients:
½ cup natural yoghurt
1/4 cup curry paste (Tandoori)
400g peeled, 1cm cubed kumara
100g peeled and cubed parsnip/swede/turnip
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 red onion chopped
1 red capsicum, seeded and chopped
½ cup water
400g can chick peas, drained
1 zucchini, chopped
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
2 tablespoons chopped coriander (I left it out as I dislike it)
mango chutney for scrolls or to serve with pasties

Preparation:
Place yoghurt in bowl and add tandoori paste. Reverse 3 seconds, speed 1.
Add kumara and parsnip, swede or turnip. Combine reverse, 5 seconds, speed 2. Set aside.
Rinse bowl. Add oil and heat 1 minute on 100 degrees, speed 1.
Add onion and capsicum, reverse, speed 1, 100degrees, 4-5 minutes.
Add kumara mixture and water. Cook 10 minutes, 100 degrees, reverse. speed 2-3 or until vegetables are tender.
Tip into a bowl and add chick peas, zucchini, peas and coriander. Let cool.
I then used this mixture to make pasties using EDC short crust pastry.
The left over mixture I made Chookie's No Fuss rolls recipe and after the first rise I rolled it out, spread with mango chutney and put the vegie mix on it, rolled it up and cut into scrolls. Let rise before baking.

Photos:

Tips/Hints:
This recipe is from the Women's Day but I have modified it to suit TMX and to make scrolls
The conversion is done from memory so please feel free to adapt it etc

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 08:38:31 am »
 Quirky Jo has a lot of good ones including Creole black eyed peas and corn.

http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com.au/2010/02/black-eyed-pea-stew.html

Gert

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 11:27:33 am »
When we did the Birdsville track one of our favourite meals was every Vegie you could think of, sliced and put in a pot. A couple of tins of chick peas added, some Vegie stock and a couple of spoons of garlic paste and cooked up until it was tender. I guess you could put whatever veggies in that you could eat. I think stomach cancer and bowel cancer people have to stay away from some types.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 08:45:58 am »
Gert, the points that you put up are spot on.

I'd also add that you should eat as much raw food as possible. Difficult in the cold winter months, but food can be warmed to 40C and the enzymes will remain intact.

Fermented foods are also excellent as they contain all the lactobacilli as well as other beneficial bacteria. Keeping the gut in good order is most important. I take a shelf safe probiotic that I get from iherb.com

Increasing the ratio of Omega 3's to Omega 6's in the diet is vital. Avoid all PUFA's (Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids). Go for coconut oil, lard, duck fat, etc for cooking and EVOO, Macadamia, Flaxseed and Sesame oils for dressings and cold use.

Smoothies, Juices are a great way to get some nutrients into a body that is rejecting everything either due to chemotherapy or other treatment.

Swap out some of the red meat protein in the diet for white meat, seafood and legume protein. Always soak grains, legumes etc before cooking and consuming.

This thread really should be in the Special Diet section.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 06:05:57 am »
This one fromChookie would be handy too. It is indian patties

This recipe was given to meby an Indian lady who held a stall at the then Moonee Ponds Market.  It is an excellent snack food and freezes well.   Reheat in the oven or in a non stick pan.

450g. yellow split peas.( soaked for 6 hours)
Drain and put into TMX bowl with
1 large onion
green part of a large bunch of coriander
1 green chilli OR 1 small dried red chilli
salt and pepper to taste,  and a dash of oil.

Zap on speed 7,  1 min. or until a firm paste is formed.
Scrape down sides after 30 secs.
Form into small balls and flatten slightly,  this will make about 30 patties.
Shallow fry in rice bran oil until crisp.
drain on hand towel.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2014, 05:50:58 am »
Thank you Gert.
a great resource.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2014, 07:23:41 am »
Great thread. Thanks all for your suggestions. Nice diversion from the shopping thread ;D ;D ;D
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“