Author Topic: Timber chopping board  (Read 4285 times)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
Timber chopping board
« on: November 21, 2013, 12:59:30 am »
I'm looking for a good quality big timber chopping board. It will be used more as a presentation board, to cut and serve a number of pizzas on at once, and also so I can easily put hot dishes on our table so everyone can help themselves to dinner. I've been looking at this one but will am interested to hear if anyone knows of any local makers particularly in Victoria.

http://www.thebigchop.com.au/product-catalogue/rectangle-boards?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=33&category_id=8

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: Timber chopping board
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 01:15:55 am »
I have a few i have bought from kitchen shops, some do leave cut marks.

I am thinking of using tiles, we have some left over from building our house, i am going to get dh to get them out & have a look.

Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 02:36:34 am »
There's a stand in Victoria market that sells wooden chopping boards and they will surely be able to cut one to the size you want (I'll try to give you the exact location when I see you on Tuesday night) - there is also a guy at St Kilda market on Sundays as well that you could try.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 04:21:31 am »
All chopping boards will eventually show the cut marks,  or burn marks from very hot pots.  I use a variety of heat proof mats on the table ,  for hot serving dishes but not boards.  The type of mat depends on how hot the dish is.  If the dish is very hot ,  I use a tile or metal  stand,  if just warm,  I use a wheat mat which is perfumed.  It releases the herbal perfume when the warm pot sits on it.   Hope this helps Wonder.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 05:40:15 am »
I have a timber guy next door to my shop, that makes anything you need.
But I am not in Vic..
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 06:13:07 am »
I've been spoiled and have a friend who does them. Good luck Wonder. Timber always looks nice on the table.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

mcmich

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 05:40:30 am »
I have this one Wonder - It's a cracker - Got it from the Newcastle Farmers Market. A local fellow makes them. It's a bit big really but would easily fit a very large pizza on it. Every now and then I oil it with grape seed oil and it looks good as new.
There is bound to be a local that makes boards in your area.