Author Topic: Would love ideas for leftover herbs  (Read 3470 times)

Offline France

• View Profile
Would love ideas for leftover herbs
« on: April 14, 2013, 08:11:44 am »
Hi Everyone! I hope your weekend is going well!
I've got some leftover dill (I normally use it on salads made with tuna, salmon and/or crab/prawns, I love dill!), tarragon, rosemary, and oregano (all fresh) and it's about to go bad in the fridge. I use it, but not a whole pack of fresh ones (and they are not cheap!)....

how do you preserve them?
one thing I'm thinking of doing is making herbed butter, and freeze that..... anyone have experience with that?

I'm not very good with which herbs to use how (other than what it says in the recipe!).... I guess I could chop them up and use them in buns/breads (I make grain free bagels with coconut flour). Thanks for any suggestions you may have!!! :)
Fremantle, WA - Thermomixing since 2 March 2013

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Would love ideas for leftover herbs
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 08:21:05 am »
Herb butters freeze well France.  I also chop parsley, place it in ice-cube trays and cover with water.  Just pop a cube or two in your cooking later.  I haven't done it with the herbs you mentioned - I have dried my own grown oregano in the microwave though.

Perhaps check out these drying methods here.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 09:17:41 am »
I love dill pesto, makes yummy dip & could probably be frozen. Sorry don't have a recipe handy, haven't made it in years - seem to remember using anchovies?
Melbourne, inner north

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 11:18:19 am »
Most herbs freeze well,  although I like to blend them with oil or butter.  I also like to dry them.  If you don't have a dryer,  dry them in a warm oven.  Let the oven cool a little after you have baked,  spread them out on baking paper.  Parsley seems to change character when dried.  I don't like the taste. So do what Judy does.   
One of the joys of living in a cold climate is that we have fresh herbs all year.

Offline France

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 11:24:21 am »
I'm trying to grow my own basil, I have the Black Thumb of Death, not a green thumb at all...
I like the idea of mixing it with oil too!
Gosh, I love this forum!!!  :-*
Fremantle, WA - Thermomixing since 2 March 2013

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 05:25:07 am »
i freeze mine in ice cube trays.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url