Author Topic: Energy saving light globes  (Read 4748 times)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Energy saving light globes
« on: September 25, 2012, 09:38:57 pm »
I'm looking into changing my light globes throughout my house to help drop power usage, I have read a bit of info about the LED globes but they are quiet expensive, and I'm a bit confused on the type of globes available that suit different areas of a house.
Anyone got any suggestions?
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
Re: Energy saving light globes
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 09:42:11 pm »
No, go and see a electrical wholesaler, and they will help you. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 09:45:59 pm »
Good idea Obbie, I think I will have to experiment a little and just buy a couple at a time and see what light suits where. I still have the normal 40w globes throughout the house.
I'm getting very power conscious since having the solar panels installed and trying to cut our power usage down as much as possible (which is pretty hard with teenages) :D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 09:47:44 pm »
My bill came yesterday $1200.00 for 3 months...., then in summer it goes to $1800.00

But we have a workshop from home, testing pumps.

3 fridges, 3 freezers.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 09:52:23 pm »
Wozzers, that's quiet a bit, but I guess with the business as well it's understandable.
Our bill is around $900 a quarter. I brought a power monitor which had been quiet interesting to see how much power certain things use. My DH's commercial fridge eats almost 4000watts a day :o, and plasma TVs eat close to 1000w a day between being turned on and standby.

mcmich

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 09:59:43 pm »
We got our bill too - $966.00. Way too much for the 2 of us.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 10:26:36 pm »
our bill was $ 450, $70 more than last bill. having 1 extra person does make a difference
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 10:28:50 pm »
My DS (16) keeps running the hot water out when he has a shower. It is so frustrating when you want to wash up and there is no hot water :(

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 01:27:58 am »
Those boys are far worse than the girls from my experience. Now with just the two of us, and 3rd person every second week our last bill was about $300 I think. Did it mostly by dressing warm around the house, and having soft snugly blankets for watching TV at night, and turning off lights when not in the room. Will have to investigate those LED lights cos I've heard they are real power savers. Come summer we have ducted air con throughout the house but its only turned on when really hot and when there is more than one person going to benefit. Will not sacrifice a good night sleep and turn it on all night. DH used to get up and turn it off, and I would just turn it back on  ;D Our summer bill is around $1000 - 1200. I hate the heat.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 01:39:59 am »
We changed over some of our globes to LED and so far am very happy with them.  In the dining area we had 3 - 60 watt globes in the light fitting and now have about the same brightness using 3 -8 watt LED.   So gone from using 180W to 24W.  They are expensive to buy and don't know how long they will last. 
Marie

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 03:37:55 am »
I'm also looking at power saving. Our last bill went up by about 30%.

The LED globes sound like the way to go. I hate the fact that the halogen ones are dangerous when they smash and do not break down.

These appear to be reasonable: LED online
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 03:47:45 am by meganjane »
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 04:02:39 am »
Yep think I need to look into it some more, might start with buying 2 and see how much light they shine and where they are more suited. Will drop into a lighting place tomorrow and ask a few questions. Apparently the saving in electricity and the long life of the globes well and truly are money savers :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 07:43:44 am »
We have energy saving globes through out the house and have done for quite some time. Occasionally you get one that blows quickly but they are usually very long lasting.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/