Author Topic: Browning chicken pieces?  (Read 7960 times)

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
Browning chicken pieces?
« on: June 08, 2012, 01:50:13 pm »
I'm trying to convert a recipe (for the first time) and wondering how would I brown diced chicken? Before TMX I would sauté the garlic and onion, then add the chicken to brown, but I'm worried the blades will mash the chicken pieces up too much ???

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Re: Browning chicken pieces?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 01:58:53 pm »
Reverse + soft speed? That's what I would do. Someone with more experience will probably be able to give you a better answer though Bubbles :-)) ;)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 04:16:33 pm »
Reverse + soft speed? That's what I would do. Someone with more experience will probably be able to give you a better answer though Bubbles :-)) ;)

and varoma temp with the MC out  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 12:26:10 am »
Thanks faffa :D I better remember that one too :-)) ;)

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 12:54:48 pm »
Thanks Amy and Faffa :) The chicken pieces still did mush up a bit, so am I right in saying the only other way would be to steam them in the varoma?

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 12:57:20 pm »
You probably could Bubbles. May I ask what dish you are browning the chicken for?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 01:03:18 pm »
Bubbles if you are attempting to convert one of your favourite recipes, try and find something similar on the forum and this may help you get the process clearer on paper.  Always have your plan of action written down before starting the recipe and if you make changes, don't forget to change your notes - you may well forget what you did if you leave it too long. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 01:07:23 pm »
Judy has some very good advice there Bubbles. Particularly this bit:
Always have your plan of action written down before starting the recipe and if you make changes, don't forget to change your notes - you may well forget what you did if you leave it too long. 
I have a terrible habit of leaving all the writing down until after I have finished the entire dish, and I often forget little steps that were very important to the success of the dish. This is the reason there are not more of my recipes on the forum!! :-\

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 01:11:52 pm »
I always write as I go. I have a basic idea written down and I adjust it as I go.

I don't bother browning meat any more except for beef stir fry. It's been proven that it doesn't seal in the juices and only adds a little flavour which can be easily added with other ingredients such as good stock.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 01:13:17 pm »
It's been proven that it doesn't seal in the juices and only adds a little flavour which can be easily added with other ingredients such as good stock.

Thats interesting to know. Thanks MJ :)

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 01:34:21 pm »
Thanks for the advise JD, I hadn't thought to look up something similar.  :-)) And thanks everyone else for your help.  :) Its  chicken, feta & spinach triangles (puff pastry parcels). I cooked them tonight, they tasted pretty good in the end, but I don't think I did it the easiest or quickest way, so I'm thinking I'll try again with steaming the chicken (and then I can steam the spinach at the same time maybe) and see if that makes the process better. They are something I would make all the time pre TMX, and usually wouldn't actually measure most of the ingredients, because I could easily see in the big bowl when I was stirring it all together how much of each ingredient I needed. I found that more difficult tonight, trying to judge amounts.. So I think a bit more trial and error is needed! Oh also there was a lot of juice after browning the chicken and cooking the spinach with it for a minute, so I'm thinking either take the MC off, or trying the steaming instead. Anyway sorry for rambling, I am actually thinking out loud as I type! I have some notes but I definitely need to add to them-will do that pronto!