Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4503468 times)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #360 on: August 17, 2011, 02:11:13 am »
JulieO

I have been wondeirng how you are going with your new camera. We are in need of a really good camera to take to Hawaii, are you happy, is it easy to use, are the photos good.

Please let me know, my last camera was a disaster.
Thansk
Hally
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 17, 2011, 03:51:41 am »
Hi Hally,
Yes I love my new camera, though I haven't had much chance to use it as I'm on Jury Duty for this month and have been going in and out of town a bit and haven't felt like doing too much yet, but I can see it is very good.  So much so that we bought another one so we could each have our own.  You can simply use the Auto setting and let the camera work out your settings for you, or you can experiment and set them manually for what it is you are shooting.  The photos are very clear and I am interested enough to want to learn what settings to use etc for using it manually.  Also you can buy so many different lenses, again for different things that you want to use your camera for, this is where it can get expensive, but if you just want a camera that takes good shots,(non dSLR) that isn't too expensive I really can't speak highly enough about my previous camera.  It's what I've been using to post on here.  It was a Canon S5iS (point and shoot) which will be outdated now but I'm sure there are newer models out that are the same.  A very good, all rounder for sure.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 17, 2011, 04:05:23 am »
Sounds great JulieO please could yiu pm me make, model etc

Thanks
Hally

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 17, 2011, 04:28:35 am »
Naughty naughty Hally
I went to dj's to look at Donna hay mugs. Well they have 30% off china if you spend more than $50.

I ended up buying 3 Donna hay tea towels and then.......
1 x 20 piece Gordon ramsay dinner set maze blue, 2 square 25cms roasting dishes and 1 large rectangle roasting dish all at 30% off. Love the shape of the plates, circular, great for casseroles, curries, lamb shanks and anything with a jus. Going to buy 4 more dinner plates a s 4 more bowls before the 30% off finishes in 21st.

Then bought a wooden. Chopping board, as the wood matches out floor, its so cool.

Should have gone to the gym, but never mind

Happy Hally :D
Thinking out the storage, have heaps now, all my alfresco drawers are empty, so put lots of large platters and salad bowls outside, so. Ow i have lots of room. Poor DH he will shake his head and ask if we really need 5 dinner sets.

Offline Deeau

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 17, 2011, 05:30:11 am »
PS I bought a Newwave 5 in 1 cooker yesterday.
You people are a bad influence.... never heard of this till a few minutes ago and now I think I need one to go with my TM !
I already have a new small crockpot and a very old ( with botton starting to show cracking ) large crockpot, I think this would be an excellent replacement for the large crockpot. I often think that it would be great to do the steamed veg or rice at the same time the TM  is cooking ( when I have no room for a basket or not on Varoma temp of course )
Can you tell me if the insert is like a non- stick frypan ( I have never been fussed on non- stick stuff rather have  stainless ) the recipes for this 5 in 1 seem to give options for PC or Crock times, is say a casserole just as tender PCed as it would be after cooking all day ?
Anything else you can tell me about it ? I noticed there is also a Breville one but it doesn't seem to have a delay timer like the Newwave?

Daneen

PS while I am posting to the shopping thread I am off to the US ( from Australia ) in a few weeks for a month, are there any "must have " cooking accessories anyone has purchased from there. I will be getting cookie scoops, and a tortilla press, two things that I have wanted for ages but could never justify the shipping charges.

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 17, 2011, 06:06:21 am »
Hally - of course you need 5 dinner sets!  Nobody can eat of the same plates everyday.  I often just buy dinner plates and not the whole dinner set (as they are easier to sneak in - my partner has given up asking if these plates are new and if he's ever seen them before  :) :))

Deeau - I don't have a Newwave 5 in 1 so can't answer your questions, but I know Kitchenware direct have them & there is plenty of details, reviews, questions on their site that might help.  They do look good, but as I already have 2 slow cookers, an electric pressure cooker and a rice cooker, I doubt if even I could justify purchasing one!
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline katesjoy

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 17, 2011, 06:27:53 am »
You have all been a very bad influence on me!  Have gotten a couple of very nice bundles of mail recently, prompted by some of the things you have all bought and have just returned from my favourite kitchen shop with still more. Egad, thank god it's pay week.  Oh and l bought a second bowl for thermie .... maybe l should be doing some overtime!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 06:44:57 am by katesjoy »

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 17, 2011, 06:57:09 am »
I agree it's all very naughty but I have been hanging out to post something on here! Now I just can't keep up with this very fast moving thread so am unsure if these have been mentioned yet. - Mouth blown - Double Walled Glasses. Like the Bodum brand but I have been getting this brand (for all my rellies anniversaries and weddings that are coming up) as it is a little cheaper but same good quality. :D

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 17, 2011, 07:10:35 am »
JulieO thank yiu so much... Vwry much appreciated. I will go to a camera store.

Thanks again
hally

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 17, 2011, 07:16:11 am »
KatieJ

I love my new dinner set, am going to get the 2nd box too, 4 plates are not enough, thought about buying separately but decided to look at the set, only $23 more for the tea cups ans saucers. The tea cups are wide and great for soups and desserts too.

Nw i have to ditch the boxes, thats the hardest part...

Hally :)

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 17, 2011, 07:30:08 am »

Nw i have to ditch the boxes, thats the hardest part...

Hally :)

LOL.....thank god I'm not the only one who hoards the boxes  ???  why is that I wonder?
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 17, 2011, 08:11:25 am »
Lol yes Maddy me too, they are going in my boot for a few days.

I have ordered the 2nd dinner set, it takes up to 1 week to deliver from store to store in perth....

So pleased i had so much pace in our alfresco kitchen, lots of room for the 2nd dinner set  inside now.

Hally

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 17, 2011, 08:25:03 am »
hally i also have a similar model to julieO...the canon sLR 550D...i think any camera in that range is a fantastic camera and it will depend on the lens you take....the lens that comes with it if you take that package is fairly limited...but fantasic photos and you can put it on auto until you figure out how to work it all!!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #373 on: August 17, 2011, 08:35:53 am »
I have a Pentax DSLR that I have had for 8 years now and I love it. The SLR's a brilliant cameras. Although I dont use it as much as I used to, I seem to be using the camera on my iPhone more. I guess I have always got my phone with me so its easier.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 17, 2011, 10:09:07 am »
Well today I spashed out and purchased myself a screen to use externally on my laptop (a whole 22" of it) WOW everything looks so big now lol

Also got myself a new set of speakers, back up drives x 2, wireless keyboard and mouse  ;D ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!