Author Topic: Are there any backyard veggie gardeners here?  (Read 439095 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Are there any backyard veggie gardeners here?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 06:03:47 am »
We are cold climate gardeners.   live in Macedon Ranges.  also members of Diggers.  Their seeds are so fresh that they grow like mad.  Plants,  not so good.  We can't plant out until after Cup Day.   At the moment we have piles of Silver Beet,  parsley, mint, Cabbages , lettuce and broccoli.  We try to eat something from the garden every day.   Also have mustard greens which are great in salads and soups.
the garden is a bit of a mess at the moment because it is too cold and wet to do much.  oodles of lemons.  We have been trying to grow lemons for about 20 year.  We had a large stone wall built and planted several citrus trees near it.  They love it and the chook poo and coffee grounds.
I have posted a photo of last years veggie garden on my blog.
Will plant up with Asian veggies and lots of lettuce, potatoes and garlic, peas and beans.
We also have berries under netting.  Can't grow corn or big tomatoes,
Love the garden ,  but don't spend enough time in it.

for people with a small space,  I would recommend,  ONE MAGIC SQUARE by Lolo Houbein.

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 06:10:34 am »
I'd love to grow more veggies but time, space & possums seem to defeat me! I've got kale, thyme, parsley, oregano, mint, sage & vietnamese mint growing ATM. I've got a bay tree & 3 huge rosemary bushes so I'm right for herbs. Have planted peas & snow peas but the aphids have almost eaten the lot! I noticed a few carrots are coming up - planted the seeds 2 years ago 😉. Would love to grow cucumbers in summer - anyone tried this?
Melbourne, inner north

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2012, 06:12:38 am »
I have grown cucumbers, just a warning don't plant to many plants as the produce so many cucumbers you will be giving them away to everyone who will take them. I would recommend probably only 2 plants :D
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2012, 06:40:18 am »
I have grown cucumbers, just a warning don't plant to many plants as the produce so many cucumbers you will be giving them away to everyone who will take them. I would recommend probably only 2 plants :D

Yeah, my SIL grew cucumbers last summer and she got enough for her, me, mil, and oodles more - I think she pickled something like 27 big jars!  :)
:D

mcmich

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 07:10:05 am »
Just regular cucumbers? I've only grown apple cucumbers and had an average crop.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 07:22:08 am »
We don't really have a veggie garden. When we built this house it was built with minimum gardening planned. We have roses and lawn out the front with a few roses out the side and lots of paving. We travel so much that it is ideal. I have a few herbs under the roses but they will have to be removed as next door has scale and it has got to the mint, parsley, sage and oregano.
I will replant new herbs out the side in a raised garden.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2012, 07:48:27 am »

Yeah, my SIL grew cucumbers last summer and she got enough for her, me, mil, and oodles more - I think she pickled something like 27 big jars!  :)
Hmmm might have to rethink the cucumber idea then lol.
Melbourne, inner north

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2012, 08:16:10 am »
We had two cucumber plants last summer climbing at the end of the patch and they had stacks of fruit on them.  Found some really nice cucumber salsa recipes, which also used our mint and chilli.
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2012, 01:52:33 pm »
I try and have a veggie garden but I am not dedicated enough and it usually gets away from me. I currently have some rainbo chard left over from summer still growing, I planted brussel sprouts but the chooks keep eating the leaves. I also have some rhubarb growing but the chooks are eating it at the moment too.

I like the idea of growing my own veggies, herbs etc but the reality of it is never as good as the plans.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2012, 10:00:18 pm »
We r in process of digging up some lawn and today got leek plugs and winter brassica plugs. Also got some seed for late sowing carrots.
It's a start.
Funny that we're the opposite of you all.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2012, 12:14:29 am »
We are using carrots, parsnips, cauliflower and broccoli and silver beet from the garden at the moment.  Have planted out broad beans, peas, onions and garlic.  We are also using limes, oranges, and the seville oranges are almost ready for marmalade.
We used to have trouble growing carrots, but was told to use a little derris dust over the seed when planting.  Apparently there are insects in the soil that eat the carrot seed before it can germinate. 

Marie   :)

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012, 01:45:24 am »
Knittercook you are lucky!  Just had a look at your blog and wow such great things there and your knitting tension looks very professional.  My knitting is all over the place.  See you have an etsy shop too.  You haven't got a red beret have you?  Have to dress up French for a dinner party next weekend. Have my long elegant cigarette holder (sans cigarette of course) and was thinking about a beret.

Jude59, most of my items are made to order and the only berets that I have ready to go are these:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/68987403/crocheted-beret-hat-ginger-ready-to-ship
and one in brown.

Sharon
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2012, 02:11:59 am »
Your garden sounds wonderful Emme! Great hint about the carrots too.  We have nothing but trouble with root crops in the home veggie patch.

Thanks Knittercook - I think I have got a red one on ebay :)  hope it arrives in time.
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2012, 02:42:08 am »
My goal this week is to clear our veggie patch. Just spent 30mins outside & covered about 1 metre.

We have a large eggplant bush. We planted it 2 1/2 years ago, we have had 2 eggplants from it. It takes up a lot of room, I am thinking of pulling it out. Does anyone know how long it takes to get a good crop?

I have given up with carrots, mine always grow curly ???

Our andscaper planted a large lavender bsh in the patch. I am also thinking of pulling this out unless it is there for a good reason. It too takes up a lot of space.

:)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2012, 02:47:03 am »
Yes our carrots are always either curly or too spindly  :'(
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com