Author Topic: Kids and cooking  (Read 8866 times)

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Re: Kids and cooking
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 02:36:09 am »
My 9 & 12 year olds have no problem but I would think it hard for a littler kid. But as soon as they get the hang of there'll be no stopping them!!  ;)

Offline pinkscrapbooker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 07:50:49 pm »
Yes nay nay my kids are 9 and 11 and they can do the lid themselves. My kids have learnt so much about real food, what is in it, and how to make it from scratch like mayonnaise and coleslaw! I think they are better equipped to go out into the world than me - the child of a home economics teacher. I could fold ingredients and make tea cake, but had no idea how to cook a proper meal! Mum was such a good cook, but also a control freak in the kitchen

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 09:48:26 pm »
grrr well tried again with my nearly 9 year old and she still can't do it. Maybe I should get her doing hand strengthening exercises.

Might get my 7 year old to try again though as she is strong - I can barely turn the shower on after she's turned it off, lol.

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 11:26:03 pm »
Zan maybe read the post about the speed dial not working.  Maybe you have a issue with your lid.  It shouldn't be that hard with a litle nudge to the left after the inital beep.  If it is maybe call your consultant.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 12:38:23 pm »
I remember wondering the same thing a while back.  My girls loooove cooking with me, and there is so much to talk abut and show them, even if it's not quite as traditional.

Even with a TMX, you still have to teach them how to:
Follow a recipe
Count and measure
Crack and separate eggs
Chop things up
Taste and amend if not how you like it
plan ahead
Test if somethings cooked properly in the oven
Improvise if missing an ingredient

So I think our kids are definitely better off with a tmx as they're getting better food, and are learning about food, rather than opening a box and using a microwave.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2010, 08:04:03 am »
"Hear Hear" Cathy!!  :D Check out Chef Dylan - what would he be 6-8???  ;) http://www.superkitchenmachine.com/2010/7882/thermomix-breakfast-recipe.html

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2010, 08:18:28 am »
Well if they stand up on a chair (they were on a chair but kneeling) so they are right above the tmx they can get the lid closed. But only just so am wondering if our lid is esp hard.

Good points Cathy. At least they have good tastebuds and see what goes into different foods. And hopefully they will be smart enough to adapt to not using a tmx if required.