Author Topic: Hi from Brisbane Bayside  (Read 7554 times)

Offline kniki

• View Profile
Hi from Brisbane Bayside
« on: May 12, 2009, 11:26:34 am »
Hi Everyone

I'm Niki and I live in Brisbane Bayside, and I am addicted to my "Thermie", or as I also call him, "Thermoman". 

I've had him for nearly a week now; and I have made so many things.  Everything has turned out brilliantly except my gluten free bread which would have killed someone, had I aimed it at their head.

I'm a coeliac, but I'm the only one in my family, so I still cook gluteny things for my husband and kids.  Tonight my husband and I are making pizzas and vegemite scrolls, from one batch of pizza dough.  I am impressed with how easy it was to make the pizza dough. 

I am really into cooking and making things from scratch; I like to avoid preservatives and other additives where possible.  My other passion is being thrifty; so now I am thrilled that I can mill my own gluten free flour as it was costing me a fortune.

Looking forward to chatting with everyone!!
I live in beautiful Brisbane (bayside)
gluten free is for me

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from Brisbane Bayside
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 11:43:52 am »
Welcome to the site Niki.  How clever are you, only one failure in your first week.  You will find GF friends on here so will feel quite at home.  Enjoy the ride ;) ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 12:29:09 pm »
welcome Niki! you will love your thermomix for GF cooking, it makes it sooooo much easier! have to admit i haven't milled my own flour as i found it too gritty, but still use it for everything else :)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline kniki

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 12:45:59 am »
Thanks for the welcome!  I'm making the GF bread again this morning.  If it doesn't turn out this time, my demonstrator said she'll come over and make it with me.

Karen, were/are you friends with a "Chatty" lady on EB?  I used to be a regular a couple of years ago and I recognise your nickname.
gluten free is for me

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 01:00:23 am »
i don't know about being friends with her but i probably am her LOL  (that's how i'm on here actually, thermomixer found me on eb posting about thermomix and recruited me for his yahoo group which has now moved to this forum)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 01:02:21 am by brazen20au »
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 01:01:14 am »
by the way, which GF bread recipe are you making? I make cyndi's and it's lovely!
My Cooking Blog

Offline kniki

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 01:13:00 am »
No, I meant a lady on EB with the nickname "Chat" - she lives in Canberra, too.

I'm making Cyndi's bread.  Last time I made it, it was like a brick.  I've made it again this morning and I've let it rise for longer and I'm just putting it in the oven now.  Fingers crossed!!
gluten free is for me

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 01:17:41 am »
ah yes, chat and i knew each other from playgroup with our first before she made it onto eb :)  we've been trying to catch up for coffee for months now and never seem to make it lol
My Cooking Blog

Offline kniki

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 01:20:57 am »
It's always the way! Oh well, tell her you've met Niki aka "Chocky" via Thermie!!  Small world!
gluten free is for me

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 01:22:06 am »
that name is familiar :) and yes, the WWW is a very small world!!
My Cooking Blog

Offline kniki

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 02:21:16 am »
I'm posting in the special diets section about my bread  :'(
gluten free is for me

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 03:05:09 am »
Welcome & enjoy!!!!

Trudy

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 03:18:21 am »
Hi Niki. I live in even more beautiful Cairns!  Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn.

I have a 40 year old daughter with Crohns disease and I have been making Brazen's Gluten Free Rice bread for her. It makes a big loaf and toasts really well. I have not eaten it myself so you can be the judge of that. Go to www.brazen20au.blogspot.com/2009/01/gluten-free-rice-bread-gf-tmx This is the best recipe I have tried yet. I put it into a large loaf pan to rise then  I bake it at 200 degrees for about 1/2 hour more or less.  My daughter freezes half of it at a time. Probably I should divide it and make to but why should I do all the work!

Brazen is amazing and you cannot go wrong with any of her recipes.  I am about to make newbie Paul's  ice cream as we speak! It should be delicious.

Good luck.
Gerbysea
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 03:39:39 am »
awww thanks gert by sea :) have to say though that is not my recipe, it's the breadmaker's LOL plus (as you could see from my butter chicken cry for help) you can definitely go wrong with my recipes! lol

i'm going to try making that bread again this week though, to trial it for fairybread, apparently you can get GF 100's and 1000's in coles now! (we have a party at the end of the month)
My Cooking Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 01:30:51 pm »
Welcome kniki - sure you'll find lots to help and already you have helped with some comments - great stuff.  THANKS  ;D ;D ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.