Author Topic: bread mat in gas oven?  (Read 8759 times)

Offline Janem

• View Profile
bread mat in gas oven?
« on: September 14, 2011, 05:02:40 am »
I bought the bread mat when I bought my thermomix. Now I am making bread today and read the lable on my bread mat and it says not to use in gas ovens! I have a gas oven!! My demo lady used her mat in my gas oven! What do I do? Use it or return it? Does anyone else use the bread mat in a gas oven? Thx

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: bread mat in gas oven?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 05:55:27 am »
Sorry cant help, i have electric, but i would never put mine in any oven, its great for bread making, pastry rolling etc. I wouldnt want to ruin such an expensive matt.

Hally :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Janem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 06:38:34 am »
Thanks Hally,

it is how my demo lady told me to use it. Wrapping the dough to help with rising and then using as a mat on top of a tray to bake on. Yes, it is an expensive mat but if I used it for just one or the other I wouldn't bother I don't think. Leaving the bread in a bowl with a teatowel over it seems to do a good job rising...I hate baking on metal tray, we usually use silicon here but I don't have a silicon mat, just a loaf shaped one. So I got the thermo mat for baking baking rolls etc. My demo lady spoke as though this is exactly what it is for? Is it not?

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 06:40:52 am »
I wouldn't use it in a gas oven as the instructions are for an electric oven  - I DO use mine in the electric oven (they do discolour when you cook with them - but that doesn't bother me).

My newer ones I only use for working with doughs and pastries now as they are absolutely fantastic for that and it keeps them nice for me to take do demo's  ;).
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 11:43:08 am »
Just bought two silmats, I just read an old thread where someone recommended a chef said to roll it not wrap it. ( I went to a demo today and she wrapped)

Got two so one can be used for cooking and one for rolling and working etc.

I have a 900 oven, so got big ones. Haven't used before though and looking or tips. So they are good for working the dough and proving and working with pastry and cookie dough instead of the bench... Is this right? Thanks.
TC owner from Adelaide. Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring me to cook new things.

Mum to DS 9 DD7 and DS almost 2

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 08:24:51 pm »
They are just the best surface for bread making as the flour washes off easily.  Just don't cut on them with a metal cutter or knife.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 12:36:06 am »
Ditto the above. I didn't have one for a couple of years until I was persuaded to buy one. It is so perfect for kneading etc. Very often you don't need any flour  on it. As Chookie says 'just don't cut on it.' I wished I had bought it earlier.
In the oven you can always use baking paper on a tray or if you wish buy a special liner from a kitchen store that is much cheaper than the thermomix mat.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 01:01:36 am »
Great thanks girls. Yeah I had read in the old thread about not cutting them. I bought large ones cause I figured it wil cover my large trays if I needed, and cover the dough for proving easily... Plus a good surface area to work on (better a bit big than small).

The ones I ordered weren't thermomix brand as they were a bit expensive, but Silmat brand (I believe) from the USA. So they were actually really well priced. (hence why I bought two).

Looking forward to them arriving, and especially as I have been putting flour on my bench so the dough wouldn't stick, and when I saw how easily it came off these, I thought... Pooh, that's what I need!!! (plus a tiny oil on my hands???? Well that seemed to work anyway, and I never thought to do that before)

Great compliment on the 'bought bread'... Always makes me laugh that does... 'wow tastes like 'bought' stuff' LOL
TC owner from Adelaide. Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring me to cook new things.

Mum to DS 9 DD7 and DS almost 2

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 01:05:25 am »
When in Paris, earlier this year,  I bought a silicon mat very similar to the TMX silmat.  The shop people told me that they were sold to Professional chefs and were for baking/ oven trays.  I have never used mine for this only for kneading and shaping bread.  I use the thinner silicon sheets in the oven,  and some have been in use for 20 years+.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 02:50:05 am »
i have two large silpat mats which I purchased in Canada that are fantastic. One is meant to go into the oven as a cooking mat and the other is intended for bench use but can also be used in a low oven. It's fantastic to be able to prove and then shape the bread on the mat or breadsticks on the mat and just slip straight into the oven.