Author Topic: Mousse problem  (Read 4860 times)

Offline TamG

• View Profile
Mousse problem
« on: January 06, 2012, 09:30:34 am »
I have had my second lot of thermomix chocolate mousse not set properly.

This time I used the recipe from My Way of Cooking.  The chocolate mix tasted really nice, and I cleaned and thoroughly dired the bowl before starting the eggs whites.  In the recipe you add a pinch of salt to the eggs whites while whipping with the butterfly for 5 mins on speed 3.

The egg whites were very well whipped, I actually suspect too whipped - is that possible?  When I tried to fold them into the chocolate mixture, there were little bit so of white flecks all through the mousse.  It took me ages to try and mix it in, which I know knocked all of the air out of the egg whites.

Does anyone have any idea what I did wrong?  It tasted OK, but was quite thick and not properly set.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mousse problem
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 09:36:20 am »
Tam, I have recently finished collating all the reviews that have been made on this forum for every book.  You will find 2 links to comments on this mousse on the MWOC list.  I could have given you the link to the comments but as a newcomer, it may pay for me to let you work your way around it so that you know where to look next time.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 11:39:22 am »
Great helpful advice Judy. ;)
TamG try Chookie's chocolate mousse here. It is lovely.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 11:40:56 am by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline TamG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 12:35:38 pm »
Thanks judydawn - I did see your collation of reviews (which by the way is excellent) and read the comments before I made the MYOC mousse since I was nervous about how my last one turned out.  Most people said it worked for them.  The only thing I saw in there was adding the cream of tartar which I had seen before but after I whipped the egg whites there seemed to be a lot of volume all holding together well (probably too well)

Thanks cookie1 I will give that recipe a go.

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 01:16:41 pm »
It is possible to whip the egg whites too much for mousse. They should have soft peaks and not hard like meringue. And if even further whipping you end up taking the air out. As said you can add a pinch of salt, cream of tartar, acid like lemon juice or vinegar to help avoiding the eggs to liquefy.

Ive never successfully whipped egg whites in the tmx but i bet i can do it faster manually in a bowl with a hand whisk :)

I successfully added a bit of chili oil to the mousse i made yesterday and i can recommend it if you like the mousse a bit different.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 01:22:42 pm »
I love it when you can supply us with the "techincals" Bluesed!!  :-* :-*
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 02:10:24 pm »
yes bluesed i am sure you can but you  can not walk away i do something else  :-)). i must be one of the lucky ones that does not have any problem whipping  egg whites. stay tuned i have just but the malocchio* on  myself 

*malocchio = italian evil eye or it

i don't need a recipe i'm italian