Author Topic: Eat huge salads everyday - a list of no-oil salad dressings  (Read 10287 times)

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
Eat huge salads everyday - a list of no-oil salad dressings
« on: September 15, 2011, 03:46:54 am »
For optimal health the salad should be the main dish and eaten first.  I lost around 5 kilos over a few months by loosely following Dr Joel Fuhrman's Eat To Live principals - that is eating mostly salads, vegetable & bean soups & stews, plenty of fruit & nuts & seeds.  I say loosely because my family would start a mutiny if I ONLY fed them this 'healthy crap' for dinners.  

So basically: breakfasts (oatmeal, fruit, smoothies), workday lunches (big salad & vegetable/bean soup), no wine (whine), and normal dinners (still with plenty of vegetables) really so simple and normal and no 'you can't mix that food with this food or buy this $35 superfood ingredient blah blah blah'.  That's my version, but the book Eat To Live is great and worth a read, borrow from the library and see what you think.  It's great because it's all health based, not diet based if that makes sense.  It's about abundance and choosing foods with the highest nutrition not about starving yourself or strict rules.  

But getting back to the point of my post: here's a good list of no-oil salad dressings on the Healthy Girl's Kitchen blog to try with the TMX.  No one should complain about same boring salads as there are so many to choose from.  There's plenty of good fats in there from nuts, seeds & avocados, just not alot of oil which is great if you're trying to shift a few stubborn kilos, and if you don't care hey go crazy with the olive oil!  
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 03:56:21 am by Vivaroo »

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
Re: Eat huge salads everyday - a list of no-oil salad dressings
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 04:17:37 am »
Wow what a great assortment of dressings. Have copied a few to start with and now I'm off to find a copy of Eat to Live. Love this stuff. Thanks Vivaroo  :)
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 08:40:06 am »
Thanks Vivaroo,  great list.

Offline passionflower

• View Profile
    • My Many Passions
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 04:26:54 pm »
This is just what I NEED, I can't diet for my life but after a holiday i find myself looking at what I eat more carefully, so  these salads sound fabby, thank you xx
Visit my papercrafting blog
http://www.monicas-passions.blogspot.com

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 06:00:36 am »
oh thanks viv... good to have another option  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline LizzieM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 08:11:39 am »
Wow Vivaroo...just what I needed after 2 months of overindulgence. You're totally sensible of course, & we should all try to live this way all the time.I'm going to try to give it a go as my "balance days" at least! Thanks for the great advice & of course the link to the great dressings. I've seen Healthy Girl's website before. She has a very diffeernt perspective for me. but the food looks delicious if a little American in some ingredients. We can improvise easily these days in Australia!
  :D

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 03:41:38 am »
Thanks LizzieM for reminding me to get back to this!  Have enjoyed the Christmas indulgences but will have to start saying NO to delicious homebaked high calorie food and YES to delicious seasonal veggies and fruit, high nutrient real food. 

Actually it's my 8yo son I worry most about because he is overweight.  I have so much good information and ability to prepare healthy and good tasting meals, but he is constantly eating and every single event/outing/social occasion seems to involve the wrong kind of "food".  I have to make more of an effort to have handy good food easily accessible, but when out and EVERYONE is eating crap it's hard to tell your child no without making them feel excluded and I don't want him to feel self conscious or bad about himself.  But as parents we have to lead by example and show them life is better and more enjoyable with healthy foods, not a sacrifice.

For anyone that might be interested drfuhrman.com currently has free 6 week membership, access to all the recipes, forum, medical area etc http://www.drfuhrman.com/events/holiday-challenge/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 11:27:48 pm »
thanks Vivaroo
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 01:52:55 am »
My lunch has been an enormous salad with no dressing for about 7 years. If I miss it I feel wrong in myself. Is it possible to become addicted to greenery I wonder? ;D ;D ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 02:11:22 am »
Love the look of these . . . thanks so much for posting the information!!!

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 03:34:52 am »
Bookmarked the site to try some of those salad dressings thanks so much.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!