Author Topic: Grains  (Read 6558 times)

Offline alfacchino

• View Profile
Grains
« on: November 26, 2012, 02:06:09 am »
Hi all, I'm a totally new thermie owner and I want to use Heidi (yep, I'm a tragic kitchen appliance-namer.  I also name my cars) to make bread.

My hubby and I like white multigrain bread, I'm guessing I can make a regular white loaf and then mix in some grains, but I'm not sure what kinds to get...I like the supermarket multigrain style - not too seedy. Any tips for me?

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Grains
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 02:31:54 am »
Replace 100g of. White bread flour with grains of you choice.  But first grind the grain,  not too fine and pour over boiling water. The water should be the amount used in the recipe.  When the water and grain mix have cooled to body temp,  go ahead and follow the recipe.  You may need 20 mls more water,  as the grain soaks up more water than flour. 
Alfaccino,  these are basic instructions but will produce a loaf similar to what you can buy,  for a fraction of the price.

Offline alfacchino

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 05:03:04 am »
Thanks very much for that! Any tips on what kind of grain to get? I'm finding it a bit overwhelming tbh

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 05:21:09 am »
Thanks very much for that! Any tips on what kind of grain to get? I'm finding it a bit overwhelming tbh
Go to a Health food shop and see if you can buy 250g of a couple.  Look at some of the bread recipes on here and see what you think.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 05:36:05 am »
I love Chookie's idea.  Perhaps you could even try the 5 seed grain bread from the EDC. I used to make this all the time but am now doing all sourdoughs.
This is a good grain recipe too. Probably better than the 5 grain one.
This is also very nice.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline alfacchino

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 09:37:31 am »
Thanks for the tips :) we have a local whole foods store here, so I'll pop in and see what they reccomend. I guess I better have a go at making some bread tomorrow and see how I manage :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 09:43:13 am »
Thanks for the tips :) we have a local whole foods store here, so I'll pop in and see what they reccomend. I guess I better have a go at making some bread tomorrow and see how I manage :)

Make a plain loaf or rolls first.

Offline alfacchino

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 05:20:50 am »
Made a plain loaf today, it turned out quite nicely I think. I free-formed it cause I don't have a pan yet, so the shape was off but it was great otherwise.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 05:21:58 am »
Great news and well done.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 05:44:18 am »
Alfaccino,  congratulations.  You can bake your bread in a cake tin, a cast iron pot or anything that is the shape you want,  and is oven proof.

Offline alfacchino

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 05:53:52 am »
Good to know! I think I'll grab one of the $7 Coles ones that I read about somewhere and give that a go :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 02:37:07 am »
Good to know! I think I'll grab one of the $7 Coles ones that I read about somewhere and give that a go :)

With the Coles ones,  I would line it with baking paper or Silicon.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 03:41:58 am »
I bought a cast iron pot last Friday to cook my bread, what a disaster it stuck in all around I used my Thermomix spatula to try and get it out and it ruined it, melted and scared for life ,     :'( :'( don,t try this, I will be lining it with baking paper next time I' m game to use it

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 11:29:13 am »
AB,  don't give up own the cast iron pot.  When lined it makes an excellent loaf,  especially if you bake with lid on for first 20 mins.  Oil the lid well.

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 11:54:57 pm »
HI AB sorry to hear your bread stuck in the pot.  I have had some success cooking bread in the pot. I usually just line the base and spray sides lightly with oil.  Hope it works next time for you.