Author Topic: Non-food recipes  (Read 28446 times)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
Non-food recipes
« on: February 12, 2009, 10:20:02 pm »
I've heard that there are TM recipe books out there - especially in Spain - with recipes for things like make up remover, soap and things.  Nothing to do with food.  I'd love to see some of those recipes.  Does anyone know any TM recipes for non-food items?

Waiting with fingers crossed ...
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Non-food recipes
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 04:23:13 am »
i've been wanting to make hand soap in mine (and i have a friend who made soap in hers)

here is the recipe i was going to use
I thought I should share this, as it is so easy to do, and so cheap compared to buying 1L refills from the supermarket even (they are about $4?)

http://tipnut.com/homemade-liquid-soap/

I used 4 freebie bars from our recent hotel stay, which was 59g total soap weight (15g per bar, and one bar slightly used); 2t honey; 1/2t glycerol/glycerine.

Whizz soap in blender until crumbs. Add 1/3 cup boiling water and whip, then 1/2 of 1/3c (so 1/6 cup) lukewarm water add the honey and glycerol (from a chemist).  Let it cool 15 minutes then any scent you want (that complements the soap you are using!) to 1 cup water. I used lemon verbena, freshly crushed and steeped in the water, then strained out before adding to the soap paste.

Its really thick and creamy, makes about 1L, total cost $0.01 for the glycerol ($5.15 for 100mL), plus whatever 50mL of honey from Aldi works out to be (500mL for $3-4?) So about $0.40!!!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 05:22:31 am »
I have seen a mixture for the dishwasher in Italian.  Thought that a german site ? virusculinarius? had some.  But haven't seen in any books.  Will search.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 10:46:24 am »
I have been meaning to try making fingerpaints and slime for the kids. Have recipes ready to convert so will let you know how it goes.
Sheree
Tupperware and Thermomix Consultant.
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 12:50:45 am »
and slime for the kids. Have recipes ready to convert so will let you know how it goes.

What is slime ???  Sounds disgusting.  Grandson on the way so will probably find out.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 01:55:32 am »
lol - does sound disgusting! Slime is like playdough but not as tough - more squishy.
Sheree
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 01:35:49 pm »
i've been wanting to make hand soap in mine (and i have a friend who made soap in hers)

here is the recipe i was going to use
I thought I should share this, as it is so easy to do, and so cheap compared to buying 1L refills from the supermarket even (they are about $4?)

http://tipnut.com/homemade-liquid-soap/

Don't know if you've made this yet, Brazen?  I just made it a few minutes ago.  Overall, I like it, but had a few problems, and some ideas for how I'll try it next time:

I would mill rather than grate the soap - it would have made the process much easier later on. 

I ended up adding double the water, as it really was TOO thick.  It wouldn't have come out of the liquid soap dispenser.  Possibly the type of soap I was using???

I added almond oil as well as the glycerine and honey.  I'll add about double the oil, and probably the glycerine too, next time.  The resulting soap has a lovely, luxuriant texture, and is nice to wash the hands with, but my hands still feel slightly dry afterward.  I'm hoping more oil would stop that.

Initially I was afraid to go above speed 3, in case I made the soap go all foamy.  But later found that speed 8 was the best, as it emulsified everything into a glorious texture.

All in all, I'm very pleased with it, but feel with a bit of experimentation it could be much better.

I used a standard sized bar of soap (100g) and upped the other ingredients accordingly (before increasing the water further).  It filled 2 soap dispensers at the end.

To get the soap into the dispensers, as it was so thick and creamy, I used one of those cookie things - don't know what they're called.  You put the thin dough into the dispensing tube and then pop in the shape that you want them to be at the other end, and then press out the cookies.  An icing bag or plastic bag with the corner cut off would have worked too.  Anything which allows you to direct the (very viscous) liquid into a small hole, and apply a bit of pressure to get it to go through the hole.  I can confirm that a funnel does NOT work  ;D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 01:19:10 am by CarolineW »
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 01:37:29 pm »
I have been meaning to try making fingerpaints and slime for the kids. Have recipes ready to convert so will let you know how it goes.

Have you managed to find the time to convert the recipes yet, Riv_Mum?  Suspect slime would be well appreciated by DD  ;D (as for me - yuk!)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 09:38:35 pm »
no, i'm still procrastinating on making it lol
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 12:14:59 am »
the new vege cookbook has some recipes for things like hand cream, face scrub, facemasks, bathbombs etc etc in it
i think they came from a naturopath, they sound great, i had a look at the book yesterday

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 01:03:06 pm »
opps! sorry havent made them yet - have the recipes sitting on the bench reminding me every day! Have a spare day next week to try them out.
Sheree
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 04:30:38 am »
Someone was going to post a shampoo recipe too, now who was that?  Maybe I Love Bimby - if so we understand how busy she has been lately so forgive her for forgetting :-* :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 12:23:53 pm »
Hi JD, I have a whole book to go through and convert but haven't had a hope in doing anything so far.  Once I do, I shall certainly post it.  Just don't hold your breath for it... lol  ;) ;D
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog