Author Topic: Recipe Review - EDC - Farr Breton aux Pruneaux (Prune Cake)  (Read 6323 times)

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Recipe Review - EDC - Farr Breton aux Pruneaux (Prune Cake)
« on: August 28, 2011, 11:53:02 pm »
This is a French dessert cake. I had hardly noticed it in there before until my SIL was looking through my cookbook and said she makes it all the time (having a French hubby) Just wondering if Frozzy or anyone else in the know has made this. The rating, I'm still thinking about - but it has been eaten up by all - I am going to make it again and post a piccy. Definitely needs a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of cream. To me the best way to describe it is like custard and prunes - is that what it is Frozzy??

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Review - EDC - Farr Breton aux Pruneaux (Prune Cake)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 12:20:30 am »
This cake has always intrigued me as I looooove prunes. I have never made it as I am the ONLY lover of prunes in this household and a whole cake to myself my hips so do not need!!!
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 01:57:11 am »
Sorry Nay-Nay, I haven't made the "far breton" in the TMX, however I made it a few times the traditional way... 
Far breton and clafoutis are recipes which includes prunes and cherries (respectively) soaked in alcohol (rum for prunes, kirsch for cherries).  Both these "flans" are made with a thick "crepe" batter.  Looking at the EDC recipe I would probably add more flour (180g sounds more like it).  I would also leave the seeds as these flans are meant to be rustic  :)  oh...and I also add dobs of butter on the top of the flan before baking.  Serve lukewarm!  Can't wait for the first cherries now!!!
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 07:39:27 am »
Thanks Carine. I made it again but forgot to take a picture. Mmm not sure about leaving seeds in but I love the sound of cherries, now that sounds like a flan plan!  ;)

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 11:36:27 am »
Well seeds apparently add flavour...  but I know it doesn't look great to have everybody spitting seeds out!  meant to be a RUSTIC dish  :D
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline ros

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 11:29:14 pm »
Know this is an old post but I have only just made this recipe. In France, the family we know uses less prunes but add raisins.  More economic but also delicious!  Ros

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 07:53:17 am »
That's a good idea.  ;)

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 06:27:14 am »
Finally got around to making this today.  I was having a fridge cleanout and found a bowl of prunes that had been soaking in masala for about 6 months (the plan was some prune brownies but never happened).  This recipe is very simple and a good winter warmer.  It's just like a clafoutis but my clafoutis recipe uses cream so I like this better because it's lighter and so few ingredients.  I didn't alter the recipe apart from accidentally adding too much sugar.  Was wondering if the soaking liquor would be added so I did add this.  It's a baked custard type dessert rather than a cake for anyone that does not know clafoutis.