Author Topic: Potato Cream  (Read 4333 times)

Offline scyrene

• View Profile
Potato Cream
« on: December 16, 2009, 03:58:17 pm »
Potato Cream
Serves 4 generously
Ingredients:
25g butter
1/2 onion, peeled
salt and pepper
450g peeled + chopped potatoes
875ml chicken or vegetable stock
75ml double cream

Preparation:
Place the potato chunks into the internal steaming basket, cover with water and cook until soft, Varoma temp,  ^^, 15-20 minutes.

Remove the basket, drain off the liquid.

Place the onion and butter into the Thermomix bowl, chop speed 5 1/2 for 3-4 seconds. Scrape down with the spatula.

Cook the onion, 100oC, ^^ :-: for 3-4 minutes, until softened.

Return the potatoes to the bowl, add the stock. Purée, speed 9 1/2, for 30-60 seconds, until completely smooth.

Add the cream, mix speed 4 for a few seconds, until completely incorporated.

Season to taste.

Tips/Hints:
I adapted this recipe from Lindsey Bareham's book, 'A Celebration of Soup'. Her recipe is a little richer, containing flour and egg yolks, but I think the version above is quite rich enough. I was surprised just how delicious and luxurious it seemed.

Using homemade stock will produce a subtler result, but extra salt may need to be added. I'd advocate using cold stock, so it can be blitzed straight away, then reheating to say 70oC, speed 3, for 5-7 minutes - puréeing hot soup is, of course, harder and more dangerous.

The recipe can be varied by adding herbs, before or after puréeing. I put saffron in with the stock, which gave it an appealing light golden colour. Some of the potatoes might be swapped for other veg, such as celeriac, parsnips, or swede.

This is pretty cheap to make, but not a soup for dieters!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Potato Cream
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 11:38:10 pm »
Thanks for the recipe - I find that pureeing the soup in the TMX at speed 8 or 9 results in what appears to be a really creamy smooth soup - without having to add cream/butter.  It may be the fineness of the particles giving the great texture in the mouth ??
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline scyrene

• View Profile
Re: Potato Cream
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 05:17:45 pm »
I think you're right, but adding a little cream gives a richness on top of the smoothness. It would be fine without the cream, of course  :)

Oh, and if you make chicken stock from a carcass, that also adds to the smoothness, due I suppose to the extra fat and gelatine...