Author Topic: Devil of a cookbook- Chicken stroganoff  (Read 12626 times)

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Devil of a cookbook- Chicken stroganoff
« on: May 17, 2012, 12:48:46 am »
made this last night- having a chicken defrosting kind of week and had spare chicken breasts to use up. I thought this was delicious. I would give this 5/5- it is definitely bland at the end but in the recipe is says to season according to taste, which I did. The sauce was delicious and the consistency was great. I found the chicken to be very tender and not dry at all which can happen with some stroganoff recipes. I cooked some gluten free fettucine to go with it and it was delicious, but obviously rice or mashed potatoes would go equally well. With a green salad on the side- brilliant meal.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline ELH05

• View Profile
Re: Devil of a cookbook- Chicken stroganoff
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 01:18:16 pm »
Wow is all I can say - delicious flavoursome - was a real hit with me, DH & 2 year old son!  The flavour was sooo much nicer than the EDC stroganoff - I'll use this base instead for beef strog instead.

5/5

(not sure what the PP meant by it tasting bland at the end?  Wasn't bland to my tasting!)

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 03:42:37 pm »
I didn't add any seasoning during cooking and only at the end . As I am trying to use less salt these days I try to minimize the amount of salt or stock I am using in recipes and for this reason I did find the end result as I mentioned in my post but I totally agree with you that it is a delicious recipe and I am definitely doing my stroganoff with this recipe in future.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 02:48:46 am »

There was lots of sauce, I quartered the mushrooms instead of chopping in with spring onion (so DD could pick them out)...but for my taste, it didn't quite seem like a stroganoff to me   :-\
Once cooked, I felt it lacked something....so I added an extra 2 tsp. dijon mustard, and salt & peppered generously.
That did improve the flavour.
I think the problem for me is we adore Chelseas's stroganoff, such a kick of flavour....so any other stroganoff recipe has big shoes to fill.
Nice, but don't think I would make again.
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Bambi

• View Profile
Re: Re: Devil of a cookbook- Chicken stroganoff
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 03:38:40 pm »

Really yummy, had it with mash. I used thigh as the recipe didn't specify.
Very quick too

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 03:39:46 am »
I made this last night and managed a very hot mouthful out of the TM just before I whizzed out the door. (note to self - it IS HOT when you sneak a bit out of the MC hole while it is still cooking! :-)))  burnt my tongue!
My kids don't like mushrooms if they can see them so I whizzed them up finely with the parsely at the start. Verdict thismorning was 'yeah that was nice, you put mushies in it, but we couldn't pick them out so ate them. It was good you can make it again'
There was only a tiny bit leftover so I've just had that for morning tea    I mean early lunch ;D.
Next time I'll do the mushies like maddy did so the kids can pick them out.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 05:01:26 am »
I certainly would do the same trick again Nikkit. They want you to make it again so I think they are just saying they didn't like the mushies, when in actual fact they weren't as bad as they thought. Very high in B12 so very good for them.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 12:50:27 pm »
CP the kids eat more mushies than they realise, just sometimes I let them think that I am making something for them if they can pick out the mushies or they get suspicious when there hasn't been one in sight for a week!
I put extra in this dish so you could taste the mushies, but they lived another day - so obviously didn't hurt them!

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 11:25:27 am »
I'm going to be perfectly honest and say that I didn't enjoy this dish. My chicken was cooked perfectly, but I didn't like the stroganoff sauce. I haven't eaten many stroganoffs but I'm afraid this one doesn't make me want to eat any more.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 11:46:24 am »
Strange that some like this one and some don't - guess we all have different taste buds.  It looks nice though Amy but obviously the sauce was lacking something.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 12:15:53 pm »
Amy, t looks nice, must look the recipe up :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 12:22:43 pm »
Thanks Judy and Hally :)

Judy, a bit like the pasta fagioli recipe, either love it or hate it ;D I actually thought my sauce had too much of something. There was a flavour in there, I'm not sure what it was, but it was very strong. It was sort of.... acidic? I'm not sure.

Hally, hope you guys like it ;)

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: Devil of a cookbook- Chicken stroganoff
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 01:01:08 pm »
We had this for the first time tonight and thought it was a nice &  quick weeknight dinner.  I do agree with the comments about it being a tad bland though.  I think a nice dollop of umami paste would do the trick,  but as I can't have umami (too many amines/msg gives me migraines) I need to think of an alternative.  Any ideas?

Overall we will make it again.  At this stage 3/5,  with a bit of extra something it could be a 4 or 5 :)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline matmob

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 03:58:04 am »
I also don't really understand people saying this is 'bland' - we found it delicious.  Quite a different flavour to usual beef strog but variety is the spice of life isn't it? ;)  Served with pasta and stir-fried zucchini and carrot slivers.

Offline troupie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 05:33:18 am »
Made this last night and DH and I both enjoyed it served with rice and broccoli. There was plenty of sauce which is good. I did cook for an extra 10 minutes because the chicken seemed a bit tough; it was macro breasts from WW; I usually use thighs but they didn't have any. I will make this again using thighs next time. Its different to beef strog. but so it should be.