Author Topic: MC on or Off?  (Read 11193 times)

Offline hstevens

• View Profile
MC on or Off?
« on: January 13, 2013, 11:10:56 am »
This may well be a very dumb question. I have not established yet whether the MC should be on or off for cooking, it often does not say, so should I assume if it doesnt say leave it on?  Some recipes are specific but I am not sure of the best way to go with this. Obviously some recipes need it there to catch the spray, but other things I dont know??

Also, when it says 'with basket in place to  catch spits' does that mean steamer basket or the little round basket on top? I have been using the steamer basket without the lid.

thanks in advance!
Helen  ??? ???

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: MC on or Off?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 11:15:19 am »
When a recipe doesn't state MC on or off, I remember advice a wise person on the forum told us....if you are cooking the same recipe on the stove would you have the saucepan lid on or off? It's the same with the MC. Alternatively, think about how the condensation would affect the final product. You will end up with more liquid with the MC on in most dishes (involving heat).

With regard to the basket...it is the rice basket that fits inside the TMX jug. It sits neatly on top of the TMX lid. But Iguess the Varoma base would fit well too, maybe just a bit more awkward to clean up? The basket still allows the condensation to evaporate (limiting liquid into your food) but stops the food splattering all over your kitchen :)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 11:22:17 am »
Helen, there are no dumb questions on the forum :D
I made jam today and placed the metal basket upside down over the hole, so it looked like my machine was wearing a top hat.

The MC cup on or off question is a little tricky, I understand that if you are cooking something that you would ordinarily cook uncovered on the stovetop or beating egg whites , you should leave the MC off. However, in practice that can lead to a lot of mess, as things are whizzing around at high speeds. Sometimes I will leave the MC off, and place the metal basket upsidedown on top, and other times, I will place a piece of paper towel over the hole.

I seem to have been to slow with my reply as Jamberie has beaten me to it ;D
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 11:26:20 am »
Great answers Jamberie and ES :)  I too was wondering about this when I first got my tmx many moons ago.  I am sure all new owners take a while to get used to this.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 11:29:51 am »
ES is your steaming basket and varoma for your Thermochef made out of metal?  

Helen, when I sauté onions, I leave the MC off.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 11:38:09 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Online achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 11:33:22 am »
I understand that if the recipe doesn't state anything about the cap,  that it is on/in. It will state if you are to remove it.   

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 10:05:23 pm »
I understand that if the recipe doesn't state anything about the cap,  that it is on/in. It will state if you are to remove it.   

My thoughts too :)

If I want the liquid to reduce I leave it off.
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 03:15:09 am »

Another agreement here. I sometimes leave it off when I am creaming butter and sugar too, hopefully for more aeration. I don't go above speed 3 when I am creaming them though.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline RhubarbWhine

• Rhu
    • View Profile
    • Rhubarb Whine
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 06:25:45 am »
I made jam today and placed the metal basket upside down over the hole, so it looked like my machine was wearing a top hat.

Just wondering what 'metal basket' you are referring to? Is this an extra piece of equipment? Sorry if i sound a bit dim, my baskets are plastic.
QLD Australia      http://www.rhubarbwhine.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 08:37:05 am »
ES has the Thermochef not a Thermomix RW.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 12:36:00 pm »
Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you. The basket that fits inside the jug (which is used for steaming rice) is stainless steel on my Thermochef, and this is what I placed upside down over the hole in the lid.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline RhubarbWhine

• Rhu
    • View Profile
    • Rhubarb Whine
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 10:16:27 pm »
Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't aware  you had a different machine.  So much to know, as a newbie to the forums.
QLD Australia      http://www.rhubarbwhine.com