Author Topic: Orange Marmalade  (Read 59176 times)

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
Re: Orange Marmalade
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2012, 04:15:51 am »
Hi ACW, didn't see your reply, I did the orangettes in the TMX after softening the skin on the stove.  They taste great but I'm not sure what the correct result should be.  Slightly soft or more crispy?  Mine are on the soft side after drying all night, but it is very wet here in SE Qld, I think drier air would help.  I'm yet to dip in chocolate and the little sugary orange strips keep disappearing.  A little time consuming but I love the idea of using up the skin that I would normally throw away.  Just the pith went in the bin as I had no need for a pith helmet  ;)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2012, 05:33:50 am »
Vivaroo,  sounds great.  soft is good.   Should make lots as they keep well in fridge when covered with chocolate.  Un coated ,  good in cakes and fruit loaf.  Very different to bought rubbish.

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2012, 06:40:06 am »
My kids love those sour lollies so I'm not surprised they love these sugared orange rinds.  I think lemon would be amazing too.  Nice treat without the weird chemicals.  I'm not a sweet tooth and as a rule don't buy the kids lollies (they somehow acquire them), when I taste one I'm taken aback with the ultra sweet fake chemical flavour.

So I dipped the sugared orange rind in dark almond chocolate and gave up after dipping half because I'm not patient with fiddly things and it's cold so the chocolate was hardening, so threw the rest of the strips in the chocolate and made a slab of orange almond chocolate and now I have a sore tummy because I ate too much!

Offline flavourofthemonth

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2012, 01:14:00 pm »
I want to say a big thank you to Gretchen for sharing this wonderful recipe. I had a craving for marmalade as I keep seeing heavily laden orange trees around town. I don't happen to have one but ducked across the road to neighbour's empty block (we keep our horse on it) where he has several orange trees with the fruit falling off the trees. Grabbed a few oranges and came here looking for a marmalade recipe. This recipe was so easy and the marmalade so lovely. I can't wait for breakfast.  ;)

I will definately be make more batches of this one.

Offline thermo18

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2012, 05:45:17 am »
A silly question as never made before until today and excited as it worked, made 2 1/2 jars and was wondering does it go in the fridge, or can it go in the pantry also can I freeze some of it thanks

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2012, 08:34:23 am »
i freeze all my jams thermo, did u sterilise the jars ?
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2012, 08:54:43 am »
How can you not love this forum  . . . .!!!! :-* :-* ;D

Offline thermo18

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2012, 09:12:05 am »
 ;D thanks yes sterilised the jar fundj

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2012, 09:16:19 am »
if  sterilised u can keep  the jars in the pantry thermo
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline thermo18

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2012, 09:39:04 am »
Cool I didn't know that thanks, oh yeah forgot to say I really liked this and can't wait to make those sticky ribs  ;D

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2012, 12:59:06 pm »

I made two batches of this in my Thermo Chef this weekend. The only adjustment I made to the recipe was to chop the fruit for a little longer, and then cook it at speed 1. One batch was made with a large grapefruit, a small orange and a lemon, and has ended up being quite bitter. Both DH and my BIL have given this the thumbs up.
 It was so easy, that I made another batch today with mandarins and one lemon. I prefer this one as it has a lovely mandarin flavour, and as I'm not fond of marmalade, this is much milder. Each batch made 3 small jars in no time at all with no fuss. I will be making this again.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2012, 05:06:53 am »
Great photo ES
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2012, 10:46:00 pm »
ES,  have you tried the 4 Fruit Marmalade?.  1 Apple and  3 citrus pieces.  It makes a sweet M armalade.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2012, 12:43:38 am »
Am I missing something - is there a recipe for candied orange peel that i can't see?

I adore candied orange peel, but haven't tried the recipe in the TMX 'cos it doesn't look right to me.

Does anyone have a tried and true one?
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2012, 12:50:39 am »
Amanda, this is Chookies from her blog

This peel can be used in Cakes ,Christmas Puddings, Steamed Puddings and of course Hot Cross Buns. It is fairly time consuming to make, but then I only make it once a year and freeze it. It could be placed in sterile jars, like jam, and kept in the pantry.
Because of the sugar content, it scoops out easily when required.

Save Orange peel in plastic bag in fridge. (any amount, but I usually work with 6 or more.
Cut peel into 1/4.
Place in large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer until you can easily press you finger nail into the rind. ( It is important that the rind is very soft)
Drain off all the water and when cool enough to handle, scoop out the membrane with a spoon.
Place 2 cups of white sugar into a large flat pan , add 2 cups of water and boil to dissolve the sugar.
Place the peel into the TMX bowl and Turbo once . Look in bowl to see how fine the peel has been cut. You do not want mush. I had 700g of peel and it took 4 presses of the Turbo button. The number of times will depend on how much peel is in the bowl.
When sugar has dissolved into water, tip in peel.
Stand by stove and gently stir peel into liquid.
Boil rapidly and stir when required so that peel doesn't catch and burn.
When most of the water has evaporated, take off stove and cool.
I store in small zip lock plastic bags, and freeze.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.