Author Topic: Orange Marmalade  (Read 59176 times)

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
Re: Orange Marmalade
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2012, 12:58:58 am »
Thanks Judy - I'll give this one a go.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2012, 08:14:19 am »
Thanks Judy,  to the rescue again ;D

Amanda ,  well worth making.  Can use the same process, and dip in Chocolate.
Cookie has made it from this recipe and agrees that it is nothing like the rubbish they sell in the shops.

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2014, 12:22:54 pm »
I made this as I love marmalade but I found this too pithy/cloudy. Maybe it was the oranges I used ??? However it's still pretty good and DH loves it. I think next time I'll use a zester then peel the fruit (discarding the pith) and see how that turns out.
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2014, 10:40:35 am »
love marmalade, will make this weekend too
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2014, 12:30:02 pm »
What sort of marmalade do you think you will do Robyn? There are so many fruits available. How did your longan jam go? Was it Longans that you had?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2014, 10:16:16 pm »
Have made lots of Cumquat Marmalade in last few days.  Have given most away as it is different and very nice.  It is the first decent crop from our tree. 

Offline pumpkin pie

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2014, 06:03:33 am »
Hi all,  I love marmalade, but sometimes find it a bit bitter, so I have adapted the citrus marmalade in the EDC book. pg 146.

I peel the fruit first and use the peel only, and then I juice the fruit. Only time the juicing bit can be a bit tricky is when using manderins, they don't seem to have a solid pith, as do the other fruit to hold onto as you juice them.

I then put the fruit peelings into TMX and chop until they are as fine as I am wanting, everyone will be different here, but I prefer mine small.  I then add the juice and the quantity of water stated in the EDC book, and follow the instructions as per EDc.  The only thing I find is that the final cooking time is about 40min. 

Bottle as you would usually, and then when almost cool, tip the jars upside down to mix the fruit in, as this marmalade is not as dense, due to not having all the pith, and the fruit settles a bit to the top. Even if you don't turn the jars, it doesn't matter, you have a nice citrus jelly on the bottom.

Another hint, if I get too much fruit given to me, and am a bit short of time, I do the first process, eg peel, chop and juice the fruit, and then put it in a zip lock bag in the freezer.  when I have a spare moment, I can take it out and know that I have 1 portion of fruit ready to go.
I hope some of you may find this helpful. Cheers Monica

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2014, 08:43:17 am »
Thanks PP for your marmalade tips. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.