Author Topic: Orange Marmalade  (Read 59184 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Orange Marmalade
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 06:31:24 am »
I tasted my first home made candied orange peel on the weekend. I hate peel but this is really nice. I will be making my own from now on.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Tam

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 09:23:09 pm »
Hi everyone,
AM depending on everyone's jam making expertise here........  I have 8 limes that I intend to use for this jam (also have oranges).  I don't have any lemons or jam setta but do have the jam sugar.  Should I just use the full 400gms of jam sugar?  Also, am wondering if I should add anything else........have had organic lime jam before from Foodconnect and it's delicious and thought about adding some ginger but how/when in the process.......?  Perhaps blitz it first before adding the rest of the ingredients?
Thanks in advance :)

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 10:56:39 pm »
Hi everyone,
AM depending on everyone's jam making expertise here........  I have 8 limes that I intend to use for this jam (also have oranges).  I don't have any lemons or jam setta but do have the jam sugar.  Should I just use the full 400gms of jam sugar?  Also, am wondering if I should add anything else........have had organic lime jam before from Foodconnect and it's delicious and thought about adding some ginger but how/when in the process.......?  Perhaps blitz it first before adding the rest of the ingredients?
Thanks in advance :)

I can't comment about the other questions but I do candy a lot of ginger in large batches and I use "mature" ginger, not the tender stem stuff (which to my taste does not have enough flavor).

I slice and steam the ginger until it is tender enough to be candied.  Some people boil it but that also removes a lot of the flavor where steaming retains it.
After it has been steamed and is tender, you can stack and cut the slices into "matchsticks" and cut across to get tiny dice. 
This way you will not have any of the annoying "threads" that are in ginger.

I describe my entire process of ginger candying here.

Making lime marmalade can be tricky, sometimes the colored part of the peel seems determined to turn an ugly gray sometimes the peel is so bitter it is difficult to get the marmalade sweet enough.
I remove the colored part of the peel with a vegetable peeler then strip the white stuff from the limes - I use Persian limes which are seedless.  If you have limes with seeds you have to remove them.

For twelve large Persian limes.
You will need 1 1/4 liters of water
1 1/2 kg of sugar

I then parboil the lime peel in two or three changes of water (just enough to cover) to remove some of the bitterness.
I then cut it into very fine strips.

Meanwhile, while the peel is parboiling, I cut the bare limes into thin slices, place in a stainless steel pot with
the sugar and the water and place on high heat.
As soon as it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to a high simmer - barely boiling
by this time the peel should be prepared so add it, stir well to distribute evenly.

Continue cooking, stirring occasionally and if sugar crystals begin to form on the sides of the pan, use a heat-resistant brush dipped in water to brush them back into the mixture.

Cook for two hours then check with a thermometer.  If the temp has reached  120° C.,  spoon a little of the marmalade onto a saucer and allow it to cool.
If it is set enough to not run when the saucer is tipped, it can be ladled into jars. 
Otherwise continue cooking for another 30 to 40 minutes then test again.

If this is going to be stored for very long, it is better the process the jars in a boiling water batch for ten minutes. 
If for immediate use - within a couple of months, there is no need for this step.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Tam

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 02:00:29 am »
wow, thank you for your detailed reply - I'm not a huge jam maker and was hoping this would be an easy way to use a a lot of limes.........maybe I should think of something else to use them for... :-\

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 04:47:33 am »
Tam, there are some ideas for lime recipes here.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Tam

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 10:31:29 pm »
Thank you ladies.
I ended up making the Red Curry Paste EDC (plus a few extra spices to give it a bit more kick).  4 more limes to go and I'll either freeze the juice and dry out the skin or make the lime and mac nut fudge (dangerous territory here as hubby is away and I have no social engagements over the next few days where I can share the calories!!!!!)EEKS :)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 03:32:06 am »
There's also a nice peach and lime jam recipe here.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 05:28:47 am »
I'm trying to remember if there is a lime cake or similar in the Bidget Busters book. Will check.
Yes, Tam there is a Date and Lime cake which is rather nice.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:30:18 am by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 10:53:30 am »
This looks like the easiest marmalade recipe.  I saw ones on the internet that were a 2 day process, don't know what that's all about!
I've acquired a bag of oranges from someones tree and hoping to turn into marmalade for the giver and folk at work.  This recipe, how many jars does it make?  Would you add a touch of cloves and ginger or am I messing with it?

Offline Reeni

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2012, 09:35:50 am »
Thanks for this recipe! It is so easy, I have my second batch cooking now. Yummmmmm

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 01:37:02 am »
Reeni how many jars did the recipe make?  Thanks

Offline Reeni

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2012, 11:33:57 am »
Vivaroo,

The first batch made about 2 and a bit jars, though one was a bit smaller.... This batch made 2 large jars.

:)

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2012, 04:36:35 am »
Thanks!  I ended up making double the recipe and got 5 and a bit jars (varying sizes).  Was a bit worried as I added the sugar that it was going over the 2 litre mark but all dissolved and came in maybe 1.8 litres.  Then I checked EDC and the recipe is the same, doubled.  I cooked it much longer hoping to make it thick.  The many recipes I read suggested long cooking first without the sugar, so the rind is very soft.  So I simmered for about an hour in a pot with cinnamon, ginger, fennel seeds & cloves, before continuing with this recipe.  My oranges had no seeds whatsoever, so I wonder if that means lower pectic therefore a runnier set?  Anyway tasted yum, I used orange juice instead of water.  My first marmalade foray!  Now I want to make orangettes from the rind.  Will search for a TMX recipe.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2012, 10:58:36 pm »
Vivaroo, I make these but not in TMX.   You could steam the rind in the TMX ,  but I simmer it on the stove.  When very well cooked , simmer in sugar syrup until the syrup has evaporated,  cool.  Dip in chocolate. 

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2012, 01:32:02 am »
My marmalade I made last week had oranges, lemons, limes. 2 batches, both were yummy.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url