Author Topic: Another lemon Drizzle Cake with photo  (Read 14844 times)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Another lemon Drizzle Cake with photo
« on: June 20, 2010, 06:57:37 pm »
Another Lemon Drizzle Cake.
85g Butter or margarine.
170g Sugar
225g S.R. flour
1 egg
140g milk
1 lemon, the rind (carefully removed) and the juice.
115g Granulated sugar

Place the 170g sugar and the thinly pared lemon rind in the TM bowl, grind 10 sec/speed 8.

Add the butterfly and then the butter and beat 5 minutes/speed 3, stopping occasionally to scrape down the mixture.

With the motor running at speed 3 add the egg and the milk Remove the butterfly and if needed scrape down the cake mixture.

Add the flour and mix 20 sec/speed 3. Use your spatula to mix in any residue flour.

Place the mixture in a lined loaf pan, mine measures 19 x 9 x 6 cm.

Cook in a preheated oven 190oC (170oC fan assisted) for 45 mins, my cake took 50 mins.

Mix the granulated sugar the lemon juice and spread this over the hot cake.

This recipe was given to me by a friend when I was living in Bahrain in the 80’s(I believe it's a Mary Berry recipe). I have adapted it for the TM. In the original recipe soft type margarine was used, which gives a softer batter. Over the years I have changed it to using butter. Also I now make the drizzle topping. In the original recipe you just poured the juice of the lemon over the hot cake. I find that lemons differ so much that it you just pour the juice over the cooked cake it can make it sour but you may like this version.
I have lost count to how many people I have passed the original recipe onto.  Enjoy!

members' comments

saffie00 - This is the first successful cake recipe I have made in my new Thermomix. After countless flavorless disasters, my husband and I managed to make this recipe in the Thermomix and it is divine. Kids love it too. Thank you for sharing, and giving me a little of vote of confidence to continue experimenting.

bickie - Great recipe, thank you for converting. Just the right combination of tang and sweetness. And the crumb not too over processed. I think your method of creaming butter and sugar first makes the difference. My family had asked me to stop doing thermomix cakes and go back to kitchen aid cakes as they didn't like the texture. This was a last resort test - and passed with flying colours.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 02:28:24 pm by judydawn »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Re: Another lemon Drizzle Cake with photo
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 01:38:07 am »
Sounds like a nice cake, thanks for posting.  :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 02:49:01 am »
Thanks CC. The rest of the family love lemon type things and our baby lemon tree has just ripened its first fruit, so I think this will be the recipe I use it for.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 07:31:44 am »
Thanks CC - we love lemons and that type of cake is always a winner.  :-* :-* :-*

It looks great.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline saffie00

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 09:15:36 am »
This is the first successful cake recipe I have made in my new Thermomix. After countless flavorless disasters, my husband and I managed to make this recipe in the Thermomix and it is divine. Kids love it too. Thank you for sharing, and giving me a little of vote of confidence to continue experimenting :)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 09:28:53 am »
Hi Saffie, and welcome to the forum and your first posting - isn't everything so much easier in the TMX - there will be no looking back for you now. 
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 10:42:36 am »
Hi saffie, welcome to the forum.  Would you like to pop over here and introduce yourself so that we can get to know you better.  So happy to hear you were pleased with this recipe CC posted and hopefully you will find many more.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 11:54:57 am »
Oh CC this is another one I just will have to try.  ;D.
So many recipes to try, not enough mouths to feed them too lol.
I think I need a family of 17.

Anyway it sounds and looks lovely. Thanks for sharing.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 12:57:45 pm »
Thanks saffie for the feedback and more important that you had success with the recipe in the TM.  ;)
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 10:38:54 pm »
CC, thanks for this easy Lemon cake.   We have lemons at the moment so are making jam and cakes.  Also made the Lemon Slice, very nice.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 11:32:35 pm »
CC,looks delicious and I love your cake liner. Haven't seen them over here. Another for the ever growing to do list, I keep feeling guilty I haven't converted any recipes and posted but I haven't cooked any of my old faithfuls since I got Thermie and everyone is enjoying the variety.
Denise

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 01:43:18 pm »
CC,looks delicious and I love your cake liner. Haven't seen them over here. Another for the ever growing to do list, I keep feeling guilty I haven't converted any recipes and posted but I haven't cooked any of my old faithfuls since I got Thermie and everyone is enjoying the variety.
I use these parchment liners all the time and they do different sizes from Lakeland.Here's the link to the range they supply.
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/p5552/40-Loaf-Tin-Liners
I don't know where you will be staying when you are in the UK but here's a link to their stores throughout the country
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/StoreLocator.action
Other hardware shops do sell them but usually they are only sell one particular size.If you find a Lakeland store you will have a ball shopping. ;) ;) ;D Their customer service is excellent and the shop assistants are so helpful, so just ask if you can't find it. :)
If for some reason you can't get any I can always pop some into the post to you. ;)

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 03:08:01 pm »
Cornish Cream, the cake looks beautiful. My favourite lemon cake recipe has a topping like that, but like Bedlam commented since I got Clancy at Christmas time, I have been mainly trying everyone elses recipes rather than cooking golden oldies.  When I get around to it, I will certainly compare the method and ingredients with this recipe, so thankyou. 

I was also interested in the cake tin liner--thanks for the link--and the fact that you lived in Bahrain!  I was born there! In 1964 when my Dad was working for British Petroleum.  My parents have been back in the late 90's but I haven't been since I was about 7 or 8.

Thanks once again for another tempting recipe.
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

ElsieD

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 03:26:52 pm »
What is S.R. flour?  Here in Canada we have all-purpose, cake & pastry and bread flour.  The protein content is lowest in the cake & pastry, highest in bread and in the middle is the all-purpose.

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 03:36:07 pm »
ElsieD, S R flour means self-raising flour. Lived in Canada for a short time but can't remember what it was called there.  It is ordinary white flour with a ratio of 2 tsp of baking powder per cup of flour added. 
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria