Author Topic: Got a new toy :)  (Read 12248 times)

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
Got a new toy :)
« on: January 24, 2009, 03:37:58 am »
Look what the postman delivered :) 

I realize most of you aren't into knives, but this is a Shigefusa, about 21 cm.  There's about a 2 year wait for one of these :D

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Got a new toy :)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 06:21:34 am »
nice :) i would love some GREAT knives but am not willing (or able) to spend the $$$ needed lol
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 08:58:09 am »
We recently invested in some expensive knives. Well worth the money!! Dont think you realise how easy things are when you use a sharp knive until you actually get one that is sharp!
Sheree
Tupperware and Thermomix Consultant.
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 04:06:04 pm »
Of course, it helps to learn how to sharpen them too....  I happen to be lucky enough to live near a fellow who sharpens high end knives for a living.  Great guy who took the time to show me how :)

Offline wombleydoo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 12:13:22 am »
It brings to mind that old quote "That's not a knife...." but if Crocodile Dundee came up against your knife, I think he'd concede that "That's a KNIFE!". It looks spectacular. Happy chopping!
Cathy
Living the QLD life with DH and 4 kids.

Offline Rach

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 03:26:22 am »
cool!

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 07:08:47 am »
I LOVE it!! Best thing I ever did was spend some money on a decent knife...I would never have believed the difference it can make in your kitchen. Lucky me, my other half knows how to sharpen knives LOL
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 03:24:40 pm »
Just got an email on Monday... My turn is up for a knife I ordered over a year ago.  It's being made out of a metal called S-90V which is quite hard.  Will hold an edge longer than most knives, but it's difficult to sharpen.  It's a filet knife, about 240 mm long, and very thin and flexible.  Intended use is for trimming packer cut briskets for competitions, and such other uses as would arise on the road.  I needed one that would last a competition weekend without needed to be sharpened.  By all accounts, this should be it.  When I get it, I'll post some pictures :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 10:28:05 pm »
What sort of butchering competitions are you into ???  Sounds pretty hard core if you need such an implement,  ;) ;) ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 01:55:40 am »
BBQ competitions.  We'll usually do two hole briskets, a butt or two, ribs, etc.  Then in between, we usually make some treats for the crowd :)   I like a really sharp knife, and don't want to work too hard to get the fat and silverskin off...

You can find some pics of one of my competitions HERE   I made the brisket and the coffee cake in the pictures.  My teammates made the other stuff.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 05:20:07 am »
The food in the pics looks great!!!!!!   Makes one rather hungry!!!!!!!!  Did you use your "famous"sauce on the meat?

Trudy

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 05:24:47 am »
Hey, the food looks good, but the"knife meeting" pics a scary - do you need a license for them ? ???  Lots of Japanese carbon steel by the looks.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 03:07:04 pm »
My barbecue sauce was on the brisket, not the chicken.  I also put some demi-glace on the brisket, just a think coat, painted on each slice.

Not sure if you're kidding, but no, a license isn't required here.  In fact, in Pennsylvania, there are no limits on knives at all (other than switchblades).  Now, in the communist state of New Jersey, it's a different story.  I think those suckers will arrest a kid playing with a rubber knife ;)  We've had two annual kitchen knife meetings so far, hopefully the third will be in May.  They've been a lot of fun :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 03:53:40 am »

Not sure if you're kidding, but no, a license isn't required here. 

Yep, just kidding with ya !!  But serious metalwork.  Very impressive - I know a few chefs who would be impressed.  ;) ;)
Thermomixer in Australia