Author Topic: Hi from New York City  (Read 23381 times)

Offline Home cook

• View Profile
Re: Hi from New York City
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 04:30:57 am »
Hi all,

Thanks all for the continued welcomes. 

Thanks also for the alternative dessert recommendations.  I will try those soon.

I did place the ice cream mix in a rectangular glass container that allowed the liquid to spread out.  When I have some free time, I will tinker with the recipe with the added suggestions.

Again, thanks!!

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 01:59:07 pm »
Finally.... FINALLY someone else from the States :)   I live in PA, a little northwest of Philadelphia.  You'll be really happy you found this forum.  Lots of great folks and great ideas.  If you have any problems, just ask.  Someone here will have the answer.

Nice to meet 'cha !

Offline Home cook

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 05:40:00 am »
Hi UnConundrum...

Thanks for the welcome!  I live in the Big Apple and have a place on the Jersey Shore.  Now that summer is upon us, I look forward to making some gazpacho soup.  In the past, my soup has always been chunky which was fine.  I recently had gazpacho soup that was thick and smooth which I discovered I also liked.  I anticipate that this machine is powerful enough to achieve either a chunky or smooth consistency.

Do you have more than one Thermomix cookbook?  I searched Amazon.com to find additional Thermomix cookbooks but there are none to be found.  There were a few other books that were recommended but I guess they are not sold here in the US. 

Did you make the Thermomix vegetable stock? The list of ingredients includes rock salt.  I could not find edible rock salt so I instead used sea salt.  Does it matter? 

I would be interested to hear about recipes you have adapted to be prepared/cooked in the Thermomix. 

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 09:03:41 am »

Nice to meet 'cha !

Should that be meet 'cha awllll ??  or is that another part of the States?  Only jokin'

Home cook, there is a thread started by Warren at http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=424.0 that hopefully helps us understand what we are talking about in different parts of the worlds.

Must be good for Warren to have at least one compatriot !!
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 11:44:55 am »
Hi Home cook, I'm a Londoner living in Spain (Andalucia). The THX makes a wicked Gazpacho, I make it weekly and have it in the fridge in a bottle to drink a glass when we come home from work in the evenings. I have posted a recipe. You can start by making half the amount as the recipe is for about 15!!! We personally like ours thinner, to drink from a glass, but you can adjust the water to your liking. The best thing is not having to peel the tomatoes, the best tomatoes to use are the soft pear shaped ones, if you get them there! Just cut off the stalky piece on top of the tomato, and away you go! Gazpacho in 3 minutes!!! ;D ;)
Amanda

Spain

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 12:24:31 am »
HC, I've worked on several recipes, but non in quite a bit as I've been distracted.  You can find a list of recipes I've concocted, with links, HERE

I purchased three of the books at from http://www.UKThermomix.com. My contact there was Janie.Turner@UKThermomix.com   I believe I paid about 73 British Pounds back in December, including postage to the States.

Thermomixer, the " y'all " is heard mostly in the South...  Once in a while up North but not too frequently ;)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 05:33:59 am »
Hi Homecook and welcome to this wonderful site. I have made the icecream from the book and it takes ages to freeze. It is nice though. Try the salted carame maple icecream, it is probably in the desserts section, it is from the 2009 Thermomix calendar. If it's not in the desserts section I will post it for you.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Home cook

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 05:38:36 am »
Hi bron,

Thanks for the info about the gazpacho soup.  I will have a little more leisure time in about three weeks.  That is when I will start to try some of the recipes from this site.  Again, thanks!

Offline Home cook

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 05:42:28 am »
Hi UnConundrum,

Thanks for the info about the cookbooks and your recipes.  As I mentioned above, I plan to spend lots more time soon experimenting with the TMX and hopefully churning out tasty and healthy dishes.  I will post the results from my efforts.

Offline Home cook

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2009, 05:51:24 am »
Hi cookie1,

Thanks for the ice cream info.  I am so curious as to why the Thermomix cookbook said that the ice cream will become firm in 3-4 hours when it takes at least twice as long as that (for part one of the recipe).  I will revisit the recipe soon and see if it is worth the wait.  I also read that it does not keep long in the freezer.  I will post my results. 

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2009, 06:03:39 am »
Hi cookie1,

Thanks for the ice cream info.  I am so curious as to why the Thermomix cookbook said that the ice cream will become firm in 3-4 hours when it takes at least twice as long as that (for part one of the recipe).  I will revisit the recipe soon and see if it is worth the wait.  I also read that it does not keep long in the freezer.  I will post my results. 

Thanks HC - many of us have problems with time/temp/speed issues in recipes for the cookbooks.  A few more vocal than others, but many of the earlier recipes may not have been tested by those compiling the books.  It may be that somebody was using a commercial freezer to freeze the ice cream ??? Who knows.  Still think it needs more egg yolks.

We'll see how you go with more attempts. - we're rooting for you !!
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline AuntAnnie

• View Profile
    • Aunt Annie$s Attic
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 10:57:04 pm »
Wow! I'm from Philadelphia. My husband just had to buy me a Thermomix after that WSJ article! 1 week and I am in love (with the machine-- been married to the husband a lot longer). Anyway, I have a recipe database program I made and I am adding in TMX recipes already-- fixed the program last week to calculate weights over into gms on my older recipes so I could use the thermomix. I give the program away for free on my website, but it will be a few more weeks before I get the latest fixes in order and my thermomix recipes in. I have to add in a chart for the temperature conversions.

Anyway, glad to know I am not the only person on the East coast with a thermomix sitting on my counter!
Aunt Annie

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2009, 12:32:56 am »
Aunt Annie, welcome on board to you too! I still find it hard to believe that its not BIG in the States ??? ??? ???
Look forward to some lovely US recipes soon! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Amanda

Spain

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2009, 06:54:01 am »
annie, does your recipe program let you menu plan and do shopping lists?? i've been wanting one for so long!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline MrSpock

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2009, 01:25:24 pm »
Welcome Aunt Annie! At this rate, the America team will match the Australia crew in no time!! OK, maybe not  ;D :-))

Thank you WSJ!
See everybody's searching for...that attitude chicken ~ Bob Geldof